Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Bolts for the driveshaft

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  zjilla 
#1 ·
I finally got the right driveshaft for my 96 zj. It has the cv joint. I was wondering if anybody knows the dimensions of the bolts i need to mount it. Also do they need to be grade 8?

#2 ·
Edit: For the CV joints the bolts are M8x1.25 thread and 50mm long!

Factory are indeed grade 8. It is 5/16 NF thread (Edit: this is for the double cardan joint/yoke), but I'm not certain on the length, I would GUESS around 1.5" long. I would be shocked if you could find these at a local hardware store, and mcmaster nor fastenal carry them, those were two I've known offhand not to have them. They are flange bolts with a reduced hex head. 8mm fits the best, even though it is an SAE bolt and 5/16" should technically fit the best, I've nearly rounded them off using it, so 8mm works much better for them. They can be a little stubborn sometimes for a bolt their size, but not too bad. You really do not have to crank them bubba tight... tight, but not bubba tight :laugh:

I would contact Nick (kolak is his vendor name here, or e-mail him @ kolak@aol.com) for factory parts.

I might have some laying around that I can get you the exact length on.

If you can't get them from Nick, I would suggest a u-pull-it yard, or try going for socket cap screws (Allen head bolt) which you could very easily find at a good local hardware store.

HTH

#3 ·
Another vote for the pick-n-pull yard.

The bolts at the transfer case from your old one, if you had it will swap over to any shaft you use.

#4 ·
I'm sorry Brady, the ZJ double cardan joints + yoke are 5/16 NF thread! I just checked in the garage and the CV joints are M8 x 1.25 thread! The bolt is 50mm long. So you need 8x1.25 by 50mm long bolts, 8 of them per joint. They are still flange bolts with the reduced hex head though... I apologize if this messed you up at all! :(

#5 ·
no you are fine. I am having trouble with this driveshaft anyways so im just buying a tom woods one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.