Bogging down/low rps in reverse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bogging down/low rps in reverse

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
zjforlife
1998 ZJ 

Bogging down/low rps in reverse

First issue I've been having with my ZJ is about 4-5 months ago I welded a glasspack on my exhaust and ever since then it's been bogging down really bad when I giving it full throttle and quickly release the gas it goes from about 2200 rpm to 800 quickly fluttering and barley staying high enough not to die Bad cat? Idk any help would be appreciated
The second issue I'm having is when I put her in reverse idles at 500 rpm almost completely fluttering out it also wobbles from the rear passenger side it stays just high enough in the rpms not to die thanks for any advice guys

zjforlife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Some mufflers are directional,check yours and see if it is installed correctly
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
zjforlife
1998 ZJ 

This glasspack was a straight tube it didn't have any arrows on it or inflow outflow sides good advice tho any other ideas?
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Sounds like a back pressure issue regarding the exhaust. Could be a clogged converter.

Have you checked the transmission fluid level while running warm in neutral?
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
zjforlife
1998 ZJ 

If the cat is blocked could would it be easier and more cost efficient jus to replace and I dropped the pan a few months back and the fluid all still pink for the most part
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

If it is the converter, they aren't that expensive. Might as well get a high-flow model if you go that route. Is yours original? Could be something else causing the issue, but it sounds like a back pressure/exhaust problem if you let off and it almost stalls out.

Have you checked the dipstick level though? Mine was doing something similar when I had a pin hole leak and the fluid got a little too low.
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
zjforlife
1998 ZJ 

I'll check again tomorrow all of the fluids and I hope it's just the cat could it possibly be a air filter?
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Highly doubtful unless it's the original from 1998.

I'm not positive it's the converter, that's just my suggestion from your symptoms. Does it drive fine the rest of the time? What happens when you floor it from a dead stop, any restrictions or bogging down? Experiencing any other problems besides when you let off the gas?
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
zjforlife
1998 ZJ 

When I floor it just spins the wheels and doesn't shift until about 2200 but I thought that would be a Trans problem and it the original haha
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
zjforlife
1998 ZJ 

When I drove home tonight from work the ZJ did ok no bogging down but I believe this is because of the low temp after a few runs the ZJ did it again I think temp might be affecting the bogging down ideas?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.