Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Bob's 98 ZJ build thread (K6RTM)

4K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  TheGrimReaper 
#1 · (Edited)
My son convinced me to start a build thread on my "new" Jeep, a 1998 ZJ Limited.

WARNING -- the first few posts in this thread are going to be history, provenance, how I got into the position I'm in today... Skip ahead if you're looking for hard-core Jeep stuff. This one is history, getting to the point where I bought the 98.

This is my second Jeep -- the first was (is) a 96 ZJ that still rolls around, now owned by my son, KG6MOV. As he recounts in his build thread, I bought the green one after seeing a nasty wreck on my way to work one morning -- a Honda CRX Si, just like the one I was driving, crushed between two full sized vehicles. Neither occupant of the CRX survived.

We decided a larger vehicle was in order. More survivable, good for camping with two little kids (they've grown), that kind of stuff. We bought the 96 ZJ and traded in my little roller skate, the CRX Si.

Should I tell the story of how (and why) my son threw up in it about two weeks later? Nah, save that for a while...

We did many camping trips, trips with the whole family, Ham Radio Field Day trips, having a lot of fun in the green Jeep.

Tempus Fugit -- whether we want it to or not. Around 2008, I'm thinking of new wheels, something smaller and zippier. The 96 ZJ is still rolling along, and son needs wheels of his own. The solution was pretty simple -- dad gets a new car and son gets the green Jeep.

Dad got a brand new Mini Cooper S, turbocharged, sports package, a zippy little car. I noticed quickly that it didn't have the clearance of the Jeep... I also noticed that it cornered like it was on rails.

Much fun for many years in the Mini. But there's something about flings -- yeah, they're a lot of fun while they last, but then you wake up one morning with a headache, a bad taste in your mouth, and all your money is gone...

Driving back from LA a few months ago, going up the grade out of San Louis Obispo on Highway 101 in the Mini, I signaled to move into the left lane and applied foot to the floor, accelerating up the grade.

Until... Nasty noises and dropping power! No surprise, check engine light flashing! I'm suddenly reduced to around 2500 RPM, and not a clean, smooth 2500 RPM either.

But it wasn't fatal; the engine still ran. Code reader reports misfires (oh really!)... Limp home and take it to the local Mini dealer. 84K miles on the engine.

Their diagnosis: lost an exhaust valve on cylinder 4, compression is zero. Compression on cylinder 2 isn't too good either. Borescope exam shows cylinder walls are okay, so that exhaust valve stayed more or less where it was, just not working right.

They want $9800 to rebuild the top of the engine, with no guarantee that they won't find more trouble. KBB shows a good value for one of these to be around $3500. So Mini wants around 3 times the blue book value of the car to start fixing it?

Nope!

Talking to other folks, the independent mechanic we use, independent Mini shops, and more. Yeah, we can try a head job at $3k or so, more if the head is cracked and most of the folks I talked to expected it would be, and the only way to find out is a pressure test after the head is pulled off. And then there's the excitement of pulling off the head to take it in for a rebuild, looking down into the block, and seeing something that makes you use special words...

That engine (the Prince R56 engine) doesn't have a very good record for reliability. It sucks, really.

Shortening an already long tale, I decided that while it had been a fun fling, it was a snake that had bit me more than once. Time to part company. Donated for a tax write-off, and it's somebody else's problem.

Now I'm faced with not having wheels for the first time in decades. Luckily enough, there's usually spare wheels among the family members, so I can get around. But it's a bummer. Really.

Oh, the Mini dies with under 85K on it. The green 96 has around 250K on the original engine? And the Mercedes has over 360K on the original engine and turbo? Hell, my daughter is driving our old 2003 Mazda with 160k on it!

New wheels are out of the question. We start the long process of looking on Craigslist. Hey, filter out everything that doesn't have a clean title, and has "mechanic" in the listing. I want something that more or less runs and isn't going to cost a lot of money to put it into safe driveable condition run for a few years.

Looked at a couple of promising vehicles -- except when I call Terry, our independent mechanic, and tell him what I'm looking at and ask his opinion, he says "Run away!" Looking at another vehicle the same day, I mention the one I'd looked at earlier, and that guy's opinion is the same -- run away, it's going to cost you a LOT of money around 200K miles (it had 192K on it). Okay, I get it.

Tempus Fugit -- time passes -- whether we like it or not.

Then it pops up in Craigslist -- 98 ZJ, 187K miles, running, clean title, $2000. Pictures look good -- white Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.2 V8.

I talk to son about it. He's encouraged. Hey, we know what goes wrong with those, we know how to fix them, and have plenty of spare parts! Let's look at it!

Talked to the current owner and arranged to look at it on a Saturday morning. He's about a 15 minute drive away. Let's do this -- son will go over it from tip to tail, and if it has major problems, we leave.

But it felt good -- and the thought of driving a Jeep again? Yeah, I could do that. I knew how they handled. I liked how they handled. Yeah, it's not gonna get the mileage the Mini did (21 - 28 depending on how lead-footed I was and how much of the time I left it in Sport mode, which was most of the time), and it won't corner as well, but hey... Like going home again.

Let's go look at this thing!

--bob k6rtm

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum Bob!
I saw a small portion of your new ZJ in an earlier thread by KG6mov. If he approves of the rig, my guess is that it's going to be fine.

GW

PS Tempus Fugit = Time Flies (sorry, but it is one of a couple of Latin phrases that I recognize)

#3 · (Edited)
Provenance...

In areas such as antiques, provenance is the all the stuff around the find -- who found it, the circumstances, all those details and history that give character to the find.

We drove out to look at the 98 ZJ. We see it on the street and park across from it. As we're looking it over, the owner, Ray, comes out of the house. We introduce ourselves and shake hands.

Ray is a cool dude. Quality sleeves (tattoos) on both arms down to the wrists. Smooth talker. Hands me the key and key fob on a lanyard. Lanyard is from Bad Boys Bail Bonds...
Grass Font Soil Geology Fashion accessory

This is Provenance!

We talk about it -- why are you selling this thing, and how did you get it? He has the paperwork, clean title, registration, recent smog certificate. Wait -- that registration -- $609 to register a Jeep? 187k miles or thereabouts, not bad for a 98.

Ray tells us a story about having a niece who needed wheels so he bought this since it was safe and ran and a few months later another relative gives her a new Honda, so he doesn't need it anymore.

Fascinating heartwarming story. Spread it on the flowers and they're gonna grow... Might be true, but I'm not betting on it.

Son is over and under it. Tires are not in good shape, but we just happen to have a set of four good tires on Jeep rims ready to go. He doesn't like the power steering pulley (read his build thread -- he has mucho experience with power steering pulleys on ZJs). But other than that, it looks good. He takes it for a test drive.

Son takes off with it as Ray and I talk. I would not play poker with this man... Tell him we have a 96 Grand that's still rolling along, and son is truly fearless about ripping into it.

Son comes back. Is of the opinion that the viscous coupler is locked up, but that happens (and we have one on the floor of the garage). Brakes are good, handles well. We look around the body. Right headlight is clearer than the left one; might have something to do with the dent in the right side of the hood immediately above the headlight. Rear speakers are for ****, but they're history, as is the radio. Leather interior looks to be in damn good shape for the age of the vehicle.

A quick side trip and we give Ray $2K cash. He signs the pink slip. I check that the VIN on the pink matches the one on the vehicle. Shake hands. Done deal.

The plan is to drive it to the shop where the new(er) tires are so they can be put on. Son drives the Mercedes, I follow in my new Jeep! Like going back in time 20 years! It feels good sitting in the driver's seat. Definitely more acceleration than the old diesel Mercedes! That stock radio has got to go!

We drive to the shop and trade vehicles. We've got a theatre performace coming up; I take the Mercedes and he'll meet me at the theatre with the Jeep.

I'm smiling. I have wheels again! I have wheels I'm familiar with. And my son thinks it's in good shape, and a good deal. I'm confident that whatever we find, we'll be able to take care of it.

Another adventure has begun!
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Car

bob k6rtm

#4 · (Edited)
Keys of Mystery...

A little out of sequence, but it's part of the story that more or less stands alone.

Ray gave me one key and a key fob (on the Bad Boys Bail Bonds lanyard, which I kept). The key fob was a new one, generic Daimler Chrysler, not the little black rectangular Jeep ones we got with the 96.

But the key fob locks and unlocks the doors, and the key starts it up so we can drive away.

Well...

It turns out the rear passenger lock actuator doesn't work. Not sure if the actuator is dead or the rods have come loose, something like that.

And that key? It operates the ignition, and that's all. Does not open any of the doors, or the glove box (glove box is unlocked and contains the original owner's manual, which is a treasure trove we'll get to later).

Oh, the key comes out of the ignition in any position. This points to the cylinder being replaced, and not correctly.

Time passes and I'm successful in doing battle with the California DMV. Actually, it wasn't too bad. I had an appointment, all the paperwork, and dealt with a clerk who was helpful. She even recognized ham radio license plates. I left the DMV with registration in my name, and my ham plates (K6RTM) on the vehicle. Easy!

And now with registration in hand, I could go to a Jeep dealer and have them cut me a key to the VIN.

Did that. Talking to the parts counter guy telling him the story about my "new" Jeep, and the key I have only running the ignition. He tells me, warns me -- hey, we cut you a key and it doesn't work, it's not our problem! I understand -- it's a cheap diagnostic; let's do it!

We fill out the paperwork required by California Penal Code 466.66, he retrieves the key code, cuts me a key, and presents me with the key and the code.

I walked out through the showroom. $86K for a loaded (overloaded) Grand? $68K for a Rubicon with a lot of 3rd party stuff including a 3 inch lift? Too damn pricey for me!

Back to my white wonder. Looks great with my plates on it!

I have a key, cut to the VIN.

The Grand has 5 places to put that key: Front doors, rear hatch, glove box, and ignition.

Visually, the VIN key is different from the key Ray gave me that runs the ignition.

What does the VIN key operate? Place your bets...

Passenger door -- yes

Rear hatch -- yes

Driver's door -- NO!

Ignition -- no (no surprise)

Glove box -- yes!

WTF? How do you get here?

Clues -- it cost Ray $609 to register the vehicle in his name in August of 2016 because the registration expired in 2014. He had to pay back fees and penalties.

Hypothesis: Ray got this vehicle for a song, but with a catch. "Ray, you can have it -- here's the pink, but we don't have the keys and we don't know where they are."

Okay, Ray can't get a VIN cut key without registration in his name (unless he's got a good friend somewhere who is willing to run afoul of CPC 466.66). He can't get registration without a smog certificate. And to get a smog certificate you have to run the engine. Can't get a VIN key but need to run the engine.

Step one is to punch out the driver's door lock to open the vehicle.

Step two is to punch out the ignition cylinder and replace it with one (with a key) from your favourite local yard. Grab a random door cylinder to replace the one you punched out. (At least one of the plastic clips holding the driver's door interior in place is broken -- someone has been in there.)

Get a new key fob and have it coded to the vehicle.

Get it smogged.

Get it registered and get new pink slip.

Have it detailed (someone used a quart or so of Armorall on the interior).

Flip the sucker on Craiglist.

Making the assumption he got it for free or close to it, he put $609 into registration, $100 or so for smog, another $100 for detailing, for $800 to $1k and sells it for $2k.

That's our hypothesis. It's clean. It fits. Is it accurate? Don't know. Don't care, really.

Terry, our mechanic, knows this guy... A great locksmith across from the junkyard on 13th street -- go to him to get things rekeyed, and think about replacing that ignition switch, as who knows how f'd up it is. Oh, Terry agrees with son's diagnosis, and suggests that it needs new rear brakes (Terry has to spot something son missed).

Yeah, in the next few weeks, after we've taken the doors apart to do other things, will probably wander down and look into having the driver's door and the ignition rekeyed to the VIN.

--bob k6rtm

#5 · (Edited)
Never Look Behind You -- They May Be a Gainin On Ya...

A minor irritation...

I go to adjust the rear view mirror and the whole thing comes off in my hand, mounting puck and all. While driving, of course. Let it hang until I'm at a stop light and have the time to unplug it. Special words.

Interesting -- the windshield on a 98 with 180K plus miles should look like a random teenage boy's face, right? This one is practically virginal.

Oh, it's also missing the OEM logos. Son looks at it and says it's not only a replacement, but not one of the better ones.

Read up on the WWWeb and get the Permatex kit. Put on gloves. Use defroster to warm up the glass. Clean the snot out of the glass and the back of the puck. Follow instructions. Let it sit for an hour. Put on mirror and the whole thing comes off in my hand again.

More special words.

Put on gloves. Clean the glass again. Clean and polish the puck. Clean the glass with denatured alcohol. Use defroster to heat up the glass. Use some of my high viscosity CA. Hold in place for five minutes, then let the puck sit on the glass otherwise untouched for 24 hours.

Hang the mirror, most gingerly. Still there, a week later.

Oh, tagged the DPO Ray about it -- he didn't know when the windshield was replaced, and blamed the detailers on the mirror, had to take it back twice because it kept coming off.

The only thing I've got on that mirror is one of my prize possessions. When my daughter was a brownie, their troop made little plastic and pipecleaner things. She made her daddy a chili pepper, red body with green stem and tip. I had it in the 96 Jeep, then the Mini, and now the 98. It was one of the first things I put into it. And after I did, I took a picture of it hanging from the mirror and sent it to my daughter -- now the Jeep feels like mine!
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Sky

--bob k6rtm

#6 ·
GW--

Thanks. My son is my ace in the hole on this one. He's fearless when it comes to vehicle repair. We've still to tear into some things, but so far so good. We took it from the SF Bay down to LA and back last weekend, 6+ hours each way, and the only issue is the idler starts making noise when it's warmed up, but he wasn't surprised at that. We'll do the idler, belt, and redo the power steering pulley, probably next weekend.

--bob k6rtm

#7 · (Edited)
The Fix-It List

Here's the list of issues we've spotted from initial inspection (2016/11/08) and possibly fixed to now (2017/01/26).
This will probably turn into a go-to page, checking things off as we take care of them
(and adding new things as they pop up and bite me in the ***).

So far we haven't popped any covers or otherwise dug into things -- simple tools such as eyes, ears, nose, fingers, ODB II scanner,

Mechanical/important--
tires are bald -- done, put on wheels/tires at the shop, eventually put new ones on these wheels
code P1391 -- check for MOPAR part, installation (intermittent)
Terry says to do the rear brakes
viscous coupler in transfer case locked up (spare in the garage)
oil in breather -- replace PCV, look at intake seals
coolant sensor bad -- VIC bad solder joint?
power steering pulley not installed properly -- idler, belt, pulley -- done
More than cosmetic but not serious: (famous last words)
ignition lock cylinder -- key comes out any time, not keyed to VIN
driver's door lock -- FU or not keyed to VIN
speakers and radio are for s*** -- replaced rears 11/23
rear passenger door lock actuator doesn't work -- replaced 11/30
rear hatch switch/release doesn't work -- diagnosed, waiting for trip to jy
rear hatch spray nozzle and wiper support missing
burned out interior lamps -- the light bulb dwarves already replaced a couple -- LEDs 11/29.
missing and loose interior trim screws, broken clips -- replacing as I go
wtf -- broken window glass under rear passenger seats? Vacuumed up while doing rear speakers
driver's door interior handle about to come off -- replaced 11/30
headlight cataracts -- E-code conversion kit ordered from Kolak
cigar lighter no power fuse is ok? -- replaced *correct* fuse, have power but need to do the light (PITA)
seat warmer's don't - console lights come on but that's it
driver's side mirror LCD is FU, doesn't remember position -- replaced LCD mirror with heat only mirror, wrote it up 2017/01/22 or so
Cosmetic:
headliner messed up near windshield
leather in front seats worn (no surprise)
leather wrap on steering wheel is shot, missing in parts
So far, not bad for $2k...

Son recommends:
replace PCV (spare somewhere in garage) -- done 11/21
replace idler pulley, tensioner pulley, belt, re-mount power steering pulley -- done 11/21
replace viscous coupler (spare in the garage)
replace wheel studs and lug nuts
get 5 new tires for wheels that came with it -- Grabber HTS 245/70R16?
do oil change and watch like a hawk
do fluid changes all around
Bilstein's all around (Santa?)
Kolak's E-conversion headlights -- shipped 11/30
Look more closely at front end
Harmonic balancer (job for Terry some day, added 11/21)
Dad wants to do:
replace radio and speakers -- radio done, rear speakers done
mount and wire in Valentine One + remote display + savvy -- something funky w OBD-II connector, try contact cleaner
mount and wire in Garmin -- done
mount antenna, mount and wire in 2m/440 ham radio -- done, using mag mount antennas, still need to do holes in roof for NMOs
add ham radio speakers under driver's headrest -- done, works a treat with 3 speakers, so one left for who knows what.
add subwoofer
Aquapel windshield (moon roof?) -- done
swap out interior (some exterior) lamps with LEDs - first batch 11/29
ECM pod? -- have X and K band sources, need Ka band source
horns loud enough to make bystanders wet themselves -- Santa delivered PIAA 85115, need dry/warm place for install
added 2 more roof rack members (sanded, primed, painted)
Last updated: 2017/01/26

#8 ·
So much to do...

So much to do on my "new" Jeep--

I've got the goodies to mount/wire the Garmin GPS and the Valentine One.
Need to make up a new cable for the Icom 2m/440 ham radio
Figure out which firewall grommet to use for the 2m/440 antenna
Replace the rear speakers with the news ones I have
Replace the driver's inside door handle with the replacement part
Dig into rear passenger door to diagnose/replace lock actuator

...for a start...

But Thanksgiving week should be good for that, right? Not much going on?

Theatre work -- matinee today (Sunday), our last performance of this run, plus strike, hauling everything back to the shop (well, except for the stuff we set on fire in the parking lot -- just kidding).

Monday is recovery.

Well, recovery and prep -- as Tuesday and Wednesday are rehearsal days for another gig. Thanksgiving is Thursday with a crowd at the house (no rest that day).

Friday, Saturday, Sunday are two shows a day, plus strike after the second Sunday performance.

And I don't have a garage to work in, there's lumber and construction supplies in the driveway, and it's raining.

I think this week is pretty chewed up! I ought to have a word with the clown who signed me up for that Thanksgiving gig... Oh wait -- that was me... At least it pays, although part of that $$ is going to go to Kolak for the E-conversion.

Happy Thanksgiving -- watch some football for me next weekend, I'll be working!

bob k6rtm

#10 ·
I wish you well on your new project! Looks like you have your work cut out for you, but you have an excellent protege at your side! The phrase, "do me a solid" comes to mind. :smile2:

#12 ·
First adventure -- a success!

Met my new best friend today -- the manager of the nearby O'Reilly Auto Parts.

At the direction of my mechanic (my son), picked up a new idler pulley, new tensioner pulley, new belt, PCV valve, and the power steering pulley tool -- $95

Oh, before I did that, replaced the rubber bumpers on the rear hatch. New ones work much better. Freebies from the garage.
Hand Plant Tree Finger Thumb

O'Reilly had everything. Good start.
Adapter Font Cable Gas Technology

Got home and did the PCV valve while son was finishing lunch.

After pulling the belt, once I knew what to look for, yeah, the power steering pulley needs to go back on the shaft 3/16 of an inch or so, and that (mis)alignment issue is going to cause problems, like complaining idlers.

We replaced the idler pulley and the tensioner pulley. Time to torque things to spec. Mumble mumble -- adapter for torque wrench to sockets is at the shop. Son takes off to get another one.

I turn to the rear driver's side door and its noisy not-quite-a-speaker. As I pull the panel, yes, someone has been here before as some of the white clips aren't seated. None of them are broken, which is somewhat surprising.

I think I know where the rattling noise is coming from:
Automotive tire Gas Rim Fender Carbon

Something about the lack of surround material for the OEM speaker cone. And a bonus! Looking down into the bottom of the door...
Tire Automotive tire Window Tread Bumper

Broken glass! My oh my! I should vacuum that out before I seal things up again.
Decisions decisions -- what do I do with the factory speaker connector? First impulse is to cut the sucker off and solder the wires to the speaker terminals. But what are the chances the red(-ish) wire is the + one? Got to dig into the book and see if it gives a clue, or maybe there's one on the defunct speaker.

Son returns. Torque things to spec. Count tools, make sure fan blades still turn free, nothing left in the engine bay that shouldn't be there. Check again. Start the engine -- it runs! Squeak free! Son suggests a job for Terry in the future is the harmonic balancer. One item added to list and some marked done.

Off to O'Reilly to return the power steering pulley tool. Declaring this adventure a success, even though I don't have the rear driver's side door reinstalled. At least I'm not listening to that not-a-speaker rattle.

--bob k6rtm

#13 ·
Rear speakers--

Replaced both rear speakers. Left rear door had broken glass in the door. Right rear, no broken glass.
Decided to get a pair of Metra adapters for the Jeep speaker connectors -- Amazon overnight. Made life easier.
While cleaning things up and vacuuming carpet under the rear seats, a lot of mildew smell... Something got wet and stayed wet for a while.
Installed the speaker in the right rear door but didn't replace the interior door trim -- need two white fasteners, and I need to read the book about the lock actuator and fix that before I replace the trim; no time before I have to head off to work.

The right rear speaker had some surround left around the cone, enough so it wasn't rattling. Yet.
Camera lens Automotive tire Camera accessory Carbon Gas

Here's the new one on the left side
Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread Trunk

Tomorrow is going to be another day of labour -- around the house, as we have a bunch of folks coming over for Thanksgiving dinner, so it will be a day of honeydo's. Next shot at Jeep stuff will be Monday. Or Tuesday depending on how late we go at the theatre Sunday night.

But the rear speakers work -- things sound a lot better!

--bob k6rtm

#15 ·
E-codes

For me, the whole package with shipping etc and the discount for forum members was around $360. My son, on this forum as KG6MOV has had his for a few years and really likes them. Driving at night with him one evening last week, I've got to agree -- the light from the E-codes is a lot better than stock on my 98.

bob k6rtm

#16 ·
Early Santa!

Santa delivered a box from superbrightleds.com -- replacement LEDs for a number of vehicles in the family.

Today was a rest day, recovering from the weekend. Tomorrow I'll work on swapping in LEDs, and go after more door gremlins.

Spent the weekend, Friday through Sunday actually, doing lighting work for a local production of The Nutcracker. I spent the time up on a catwalk pointing a spot at dancers on the stage. Pretty good view:
Performing arts Entertainment Fixture Tints and shades Event

bob k6rtm

#19 ·
Theatre work--

Not formally; I'm not IA. Most of the time I'd be considered an electrician in the theatre world. I've been working with local community theatres for quite a while, spending a lot of time running followspots, deck crew, lighting, lighting effects (wild things with LEDs), and providing adult supervision (keeping things safe, like rigging). I also work with groups renting the theatre, doing lights and sound, and keeping things safe and under control.

For one theatre group, my son (KG6MOV) is the Technical Director. We work together well and make a good team. One of us holds 'em and the other...

It's fun and keeps me off the streets. Some times it keeps me off the streets for many hours at a time... I get to see and do some interesting shows. And it helps pay for my E-codes from Kolak, and hopefully a set of new tires and some other goodies!

Gratutious image: KG6MOV and K6RTM with the star of one of our musicals (Little Shop of Horrors). This picture was taken on Easter Sunday 2014, so I was wearing my bunny ears -- stage black, of course.
Clothing Standing Jacket Glove Recreation

--bob k6rtm

#18 ·
Progress!

Which, as everyone knows, is the opposite of congress...

I swapped out the shifter handle; my son saved the leather one from the 9er and gave it to me, as I have a leather interior. Managed to pull the old one without damage to me or the interior.

Then it was lamps, swapping for LEDs (from superbrightleds.com). The yellowed plastic caps on the right and the bulbs on the left are from the footwells. Replacing those with LEDs and you actually have light! The two longish ones in the middle are the dome/reading lights. Three that are push-ins from various places, such as the reading lights in the centre fixture above the rear seats.

Body jewelry Jewellery Household hardware Metal Screw

And then there's that thing that looks like a fuse but it isn't -- it's a lamp, from the visor. Need to find LED equivalents for those.

Oh, those bits on the pulled lamps that are getting silvered -- those silvered bits cut down on the light quite a bit.

Success so far! I like what my son has done re-lamping the instrument cluster. When he puts up a list of the LEDs used, I'll probably order a set and do mine; the LEDs make a big difference.

Next steps are to look at the cigar lighter circuit and its relay. When he got the (ill-fated) 9er a few years ago, I picked up the service manual, so we have manuals for both 96 and 98. The cigar circuit is next on the list as it's switched, and I want to get basic electronics going, like the GPS and radar detector. Next will be the dual band (2 meter - 440MHz) ham radio. That will probably entail major digging around in the dash, which should provide me the opportunity to examine and repair bad solder joints on the VIC to eliminate its complaints.

(My son corrects me -- the 9er wasn't "ill-fated" -- he got a perfectly good engine and trans out of the deal, plus the hood, the wheels/tires I'm currently using, and some other bits.)

--bob k6rtm

#20 · (Edited)
Multiuple Successes!

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Hood

This is a picture of something imitating a rear passenger door lock. It does the manual lock and unlock okay, but not the remote bit. That's why it's sitting on top of the trash can. I replaced it with one that works.

I even got my hands dirty (a little)! Showed my son and he was impressed -- he knows dad doesn't like getting his hands dirty.

Even better, got an e-mail that Kolak shipped my E-codes! And I have more LEDs on order from superbrightleds.com -- what fun!

After lunch and some loose ends, I dug into the driver's door to replace the handle that felt like it was going to come off.

Automotive tire Hood Trunk Vehicle Motor vehicle

Hmmm... Would seem someone has been here before me? Unless you know the MOPAR part number for cheezy red cloth tape...

Automotive tire Audio equipment Rim Subwoofer Loudspeaker

The silly thing is, that front speaker doesn't sound that bad. Doesn't sound that good, but it isn't rattling and wheezing like the rear ones were.

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Machine

Here's the problem -- the rear part is broken off. Thanks to eBay, I happen to have a replacement for the whole thing!

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Trunk

I am a theatre professional -- so I used white gaff tape to hold things in place.

Also wiggled connectors and generally looked around in the door. Didn't bother with the lock cylinder, as it's starting to sprinkle.

But I'd call that a success for the day -- rear passenger lock actuator and driver's door interior handle.

Next door related thing will be front speakers. Need to dig into the rear hatch to see why the glass doesn't unlock.

Not today.

--bob k6rtm

#21 · (Edited)
More goodies, more progress

More goodies in the mail today --I knew the LEDs were arriving, and I'd received a ship notice from Kolak -- my E-codes!
Electrical wiring Gas Technology Cable Wire

Silly me -- I was expecting a larger box from Kolak; the one I got just has the wiring harness (very nicely made). Still waiting for the larger box with the fun parts in it.

The LEDs from superbrightleds.com finished the basic interior, a few externals, and a set for the instrument cluster (when we dig in that far). Still need to look at the shift 4wd illumination, and the glove box light. I really like the LEDs, and the LEDs (now) in the front doors are a great addition from my old 96 (even my son thinks so).

I'm not satisfied with the under-the-hood one though. The LED made with this mount unfortunately points the LEDs at the side of the housing, not to the plastic cover/lens (insert picture here, dummy). I think I'm going to roll my own on this one, three half-watt white LEDs and a resistor -- should have those parts as leftovers from a theatre prop.

Also got my Valentine One radar detector installed and wired up. Wire dress isn't final, as I don't know where the remote display is going to live. Ran the line (4 wire flat phone cord with RJ11 connectors on each end) under the headliner and down the A pillar. Used some white gaff tape to hold wires in position on the inside of the A pillar. Yeah, I'm probably not driving as fast in the ZJ as compared to the Mini-Cooper, but I really like having it. Also installed the Savvy, which adds a lot to the already great Valentine One. Savvy plugs into the OBD-II port. It provides power to the Valentine 1 through the OBD-II port, and also picks up vehicle speed and sends a mute command to the Valentine 1One when your speed is below a value you set on the Savvy.

What this means is the damn thing is muted when you're stopped (or going slow). The remote display means you don't have lights going off on the radar detector where someone driving behind you (with a radar gun, for instance). You get lights where ever you mount the remote.

On tap for the weekend -- still need to explore the rear hatch and the glass latch. Deal with the Garmin GPS (power from OBD-II as well?). Work on dual-band antenna mount, running the cable, and get the dual band radio working!

And maybe go on a jy expedition tomorrow?

--bob k6rtm

#22 ·
FIshing expedition a success...

Our adventure for today, an expedition to Pick-n-Pull! Loaded up the tools and headed out in my ZJ.
Leg Human body Gesture Finger Wood

Both my son and I had success. I got two more ZJ roof rack bars, the rear wiper arm and stop, and the little nozzle up at the top of the rear hatch. Even found the little plastic insert that goes under the parking brake lever in the centre console. One tab broken, so it won't stay, and gaff tape won't hold it in place as the DPO used so much armorall on the interior. Picked up a driver's door lock to play with, and some interior trim screws to replace what the DPO didn't bother with. Son got a new glove box light switch for his ZJ, and new(er) side mirrors for his F-150. There's a ZJ at the yard with a pretty good looking steering wheel on it. Son says I need to get a puller and then it's easy. Will think about it.

The roof rack bars need some sanding and a coat of rattle can black. Won't do the rear wiper until I'm ready to take the rear hatch trim off and dig into the glass latch as well.

Also replaced the front speakers. Here's the old ones, with that (in)famous air suspension...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Audio equipment Automotive wheel system

New ones sound much better! Tomorrow is more electronics, working on the GPS and the ham radio gear. Maybe pull the rear hatch apart.

Wife wants to get a Christmas tree. We'll probably go in my ZJ, just like we did 20 years ago...

--bob k6rtm

#23 ·
Small steps

Small steps but getting there -- it's been raining and I've been busy.

Managed to replace the gas shocks on the rear hatch; it was mildly heavy to open and would close on its own. Got a set of cheepies on eBay,

Having done this once, many moons ago, on the green 96 ZJ, I remembered that the hatch is heavy and should be propped up.
Car Cloud Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

The tripod is one we use to support speakers -- heavy duty and handy.
An easy job and now when opened the rear hatch wants to whack you in the face.. I have a set of replacements for the glass as well, but I need to get the latch (release) working first. Good deal for tomorrow.

Parts are accumulating -- LEDs for the instrument cluster, parts to the speakers for the ham radio, a pair of roof rack bars to sand and repaint, the E-code headlights from Kolak, driver's side mirror...

Might do the mirror this afternoon if it warms up some. Standing out in the wind, it was cold!

Well, cold for the Left Coast -- December 16 and it's 49 degrees!

Yeah, I know, shirtsleeves and shorts weather for some of you... I spent a winter in Ottawa and Saskatoon, and lived in New England and West Virginia -- I've been through real winters. That's one of the reasons I'm on the Left Coast!

(go ahead and reply with pics of outdoor thermometers, I don't mind...)

bob k6rtm

#24 ·
Welcome back. Good looking white ZJ, my favorite color.

I may have some Elmer questions for you on your installation of Ham equipment. I got my license this fall, but Eaton AFCI issues in my neighborhood have kept me from putting up wire in my back yard. My operating may be limited to mobile for the time being. I don't want to blow neighbors' AFCI's in a 100 to 150 yard radius. I have an ICOM IC-756 and was planning operations on a 20 meter dipole until I learned about the AFCI issues.

So, I may have to redirect my attention to going mobile in my ZJ.

Just had our first really cold arctic front go by. Was in the 70's today. Currently 37F. Supposed to be in the upper 20's tomorrow morning. Yes, I put on a jacket when it's this cold. And long underwear if I'm going to be outside very long. :)

73 Rob KE5TM

#25 · (Edited)
Mobile HF, Eaton AFCI

Rob--

Eaton AFCI breakers are a known problem -- see http://www.arrl.org/forum/topics/view/1156 for a discussion and possible help. I'd be on Eaton to replace breakers, and let my neighbors know that they have DEFECTIVE breakers that Eaton should (and probably will) replace.

My son has the (older) 96 ZJ with my IC-7000 in it, and a 2720 dualbander. Eventually he's going to put in a 706 MkII and maybe I'll get the 7000 back for my jeep (I've got a K3S in the house).

Oh, the 7000 talks to a SGC tuner and a whip on the (custom made) rear bumper. Since the green ZJ doesn't have a sunroof, the controllers for both the 7000 and the 2720 are mounted up on the high center console. Since I have a sunroof, that option isn't available. I know where my 2820H control head is going, and am saving room for the 7000 or a 706 controller.

I put a speaker between the driver's seat headrest and the seat in the 96; that one goes to the vhf/uhf dual bander. Works really well, and my son doesn't want to give it up. That speaker isn't available anymore, so I'm making a better one, again to go between the driver's seat headrest and seat. Should have pics tomorrow or the next day.

HF mobile can be a lot of fun. One morning many moons ago I worked New Zealand and Vietnam on 20 SSB from the parking lot of HP in Palo Alto prior to a job interview. Went into that set of interviews with a big smile (and spent the next decade and a half or so there).

As you move gear into your ZJ, ask away if you have questions -- if I can't help, my son (also an extra, KG6MOV) certainly can.

Go after those Eaton breakers!

bob k6rtm

EXPLAINER -- wtf is an AFCI?

AFCI stands for Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter. It's a newer kind of circuit breaker, fancier than the GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) breakers we've used for years. Just as GFCI breakers are required by National electrical codes (for kitchens, bathrooms, and possibly wet locations), AFCI breakers are required by more recent codes and are becoming more commonplace.

Just as the GFCI trips when it detects current flowing to ground (cue the movie scene of someone throwing the toaster into a bathtub), usually preventing someone from getting a dangerous electrical shock, AFCI breakers trip when they detect an electrical arc that may be the precursor to a fire caused by faulty wiring (cue the scene of a cute bunny chewing on a live extension cord and getting what he deserves).

Unfortunately, some early AFCI breakers, such as the ones form Eaton, are prone to tripping in non-arc conditions, including the presence of RF fields (such as from nearby radio transmitters -- ham, commercial, and public safety). Eaton re-engineered their AFCI products to greatly reduce this problem.

#27 ·
Could be having more fun -- Santa brought me a bunch of Jeep goodies, but he also brought me (and my son) a stinker of a cold! Doing some of the small things, but the fun ones will have to wait until we're both healthy.
If we have good weather next week, I may do some post-Christmas shopping at the local pick-n-pull.

But for all the things to do, it still runs well.

happy new year -- keep the rubber side down.

bob k6rtm

#28 ·
Big day!

Today was a very important step -- I got my IC-2830H dual band ham radio transceiver running in the Jeep. I still need to clean up the wiring, which will take a while, but the radio is in and running.

In my old 96 ZJ (now my son's), I had a speaker that fit between the driver's seat headrest supports. I really liked the way that worked. That particular speaker isn't made anymore. And, I wanted multiple speakers -- at least one for each "side" of the radio. I found some small speakers on eBay, and put together a speaker mount to fit between the headrest and the seat:
Gas Camera accessory Audio equipment Tints and shades Electronic device

Here it is before applying the speaker cloth. The centre speaker is for a project down the road.
Vehicle Car Automotive design Car seat cover Head restraint

And here it is, all dressed up and on the driver's seat. The colours aren't quite right, but I don't care! It works!

The control head for the radio attaches to a metal bracket using magnets. The bracket gets mounted to the pseudo-wood trim. I know I'll spend a lot of time running the various cables (power, antennas, mic, control head, speaker) so they're out of the way and protected. I'll follow my son on the mic -- it uses a standard RJ-45 8-pin connector, just like your wired Ethernet. I'll put a connector (Neutrik Ethercon) in the front of the centre console. This is a nice and useful touch -- it means you can disconnect the mic from the radio when someone else is using the vehicle, car washes (who takes a ZJ through a car wash?), or other situations where you don't want someone picking up the mic and saying, "What's this for?"

Now I've got the radar detector (Valentine One), GPS, and basic comm (IC-2830H) up and running. Feels good.

Yeah, my son thinks running the radio (2830H) off the cigar lighter circuit is sub-optimal (not his term), but hey, it works, and we can pull a power line direct from the battery to under the rear seats whenever you like.

Cleanup entails: Pulling the speaker leads through the seat back, dressing the antenna runs, dressing the mic and control head cables, dressing the GPS cables, and probably something else I haven't thought of.

Then I do the horns, and the e-code headlights.

Progress! I've got a radio again! Wheee!

bob k6rtm

...ya know... I could probably find another headrest on eBay or at the jy... could probably put the speakers in the foam of the headrest and thin the leather in front of them to let the sound out better... sounds like a lot of time and effort, but what the hey, would be a lot prettier.

#29 ·
Wheee! Successful adventure to the jy today! Beautiful weather, mid 60's which isn't bad for the end of January in Northern California. We're good on rain (at least!) with more coming in late Wednesday.
Skin Eye Hood Finger Scar

I joined the jy's frequent flyer program. Told them they were going to be my best friends as I worked on my "new" car -- a 98 ZJ.

Made a good haul -- found a donor 96 ZJ Limited, white. A lot of stuff had been stripped out, but not what I needed. Got a rear latch that works -- tested the glass switch with the DVM I brought with me.

But the big haul was the rear weather stripping -- here's what I had:
Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

And here's what I have now, after putting in the "new" one:
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

My son was impressed -- those things are hard to find!

Also spent some time working with the front lights, learning how they're mounted and wired. Spent time with the dash, and after harassing the illuminated cigar/accessory outlet, I concluded that I don't care that mine doesn't light up. What a PITA!

I'll do the rear latch tomorrow. Need to take a lot of pics, as I need to move the lock cylinder. But once I do that, I can put the rear trim back in place. Oh, I also stocked up on more interior screws.

Lessons learned -- things for next jy visit:

-- need a tool bag with a shoulder strap, especially if I take the impact driver (which would be a good idea)
-- long torx bits would have been very useful -- made do with shorties and extensions, but that was a PITA - ordered some from Amazon
-- carrying my belt kit with the mini maglite, multitool, and EMT shears was a very good idea
-- from emergency medical work, having multiple pairs of nitrile gloves is a good idea; they were very useful
-- shopping list of what I'm looking for, with some kind of priority is very useful
-- does Ryobi make a battery powered heat gun? (nope, and the reviews for small butane ones aren't very good -- like they all suck)
-- plastic sandwich bags to hold the little fiddly bits were really useful
-- as was a snack and something to drink
-- hat
-- I should do this more often!

bob k6rtm

#30 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.