on-board air in a WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > on-board air in a WJ

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-28-2005, 09:41 PM   #1
FearTheDentist
Just a suggestion...

2004 WJ 

on-board air in a WJ

Has anybody put an on-board air compressor in their WJ? If so, can you point me in the right direction?
Thanks!

Unread 04-28-2005, 10:55 PM   #2
scubatch2

what type, electric or motor driven?
95 zj 5.2,Re 4.5+3/4in spacer,456's,true-trac frt,trac-lock rear,Hanson rockers,33"MTRs,surco,hella's,high-lift,flow-masters&cat,ax&shovel mounted on rack,onboard air,231 swap,Hanson front & rear bumper,ford elec fan
- jeff-

jeep pics
scubatch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2005, 11:05 PM   #3
FearTheDentist
Just a suggestion...

2004 WJ 

motor driven

I'm looking for motor driven
Unread 04-29-2005, 12:10 AM   #4
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

if you don't mind losing yoru air conditioning, you'd use your stock compressor. Since you're out in devil country, I doubt you'd want to go that route. Most popular way (motor driven) is to hijack a York compressor (any older (pre-93ish) Mercedes you'd come across has the correct one), but I don't know of anyone who makes the crossover brackets to use in the WJ.

You'd prolly be better off going electric & getting a Viair compressor (450 is a good model [1.62 cu.ft/min 100% duty cycle, and it won't break the bank) and a scuba tank and running that through. Would give you the best options on how you'd want it run.
Buddha_Kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2005, 12:26 AM   #5
FearTheDentist
Just a suggestion...

2004 WJ 

Viair compressor

Whats the difference between the 45 and the 500? The 500 has 50% greater CFM, but I don't know what 33% duty cycle vs. 100% duty cycle means...

My main goal is to be able to re-seat a bead if needed, and I'd like to be able to run air tools in a pinch (although a power inverter and electric really would work fine too...) I'd think that once you got past the install a motor driven system would be more capable and less hassle, but maybe this is overkill. Two weekends ago I slipped a bead and one of the guys had a motor driven system in his Jeep- I was REALLY impressed by it- had my bead re-seated and tire (over)inflated in like a minute. Maybe it's overkill for my needs but that's never stopped me before

I'll have to look if there's room for a compressor in my engine compartment- it's REALLY packed in there with a 4.7....If there is I can have brackets fabricated. I'll write it up if I do it.
Unread 04-29-2005, 12:30 AM   #6
FearTheDentist
Just a suggestion...

2004 WJ 

Viair compressor

N\M the differences in the Viair compressors...they have a very good FAQ on their site....I'd still like to know how noisy they are tho..
Unread 04-29-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
cajunmudder

They are pretty loud, if its on the inside you will have to yell to talk. What I'm thinking of doing is getting a pancake tank and a Viair 450 to put in my spare tire well.
Visonik 12" Sub
Custom Fiberglass Box
MA Audio M1889i Amp
Magnaflow Exhaust
Rusty's 2" BB
Dunlop 265/75/16 mud rovers
[/COLOR]
cajunmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2005, 08:10 PM   #8
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

not super loud...not like an at-home/shop air compressor, but there is some noise, but then again, you'll only hear itfirst when it's airing up the tank, and then only when you go below the required psi....at which point you'll most probably be outside of the truck using your tools or airing up, so it shouldn't make much of a difference anyway.
Buddha_Kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2005, 09:33 PM   #9
FearTheDentist
Just a suggestion...

2004 WJ 

Noise supression

OK- so I was thinking about how to keep the noise down (again, this is probably overkill)....How much heat do these produce? I was thinking of mounting it under the truck, in which case I'd want to put it in some kind of enclosure to protect it, or at least a skid plate of some sort. An enclosure is an attractive idea because I could add some insulation and really cut down on the noise (try it with your garage compressor- it really helps!) My worry with the enclosure would be generating too much heat. It wouldn't be a big deal to add in a 12v fan to help airflow, but I'm not sure that would be enough. Has anyone seen or done anything like this?
Unread 04-30-2005, 12:17 PM   #10
cajunmudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha_Kip
not super loud...not like an at-home/shop air compressor, but there is some noise, but then again, you'll only hear itfirst when it's airing up the tank, and then only when you go below the required psi....at which point you'll most probably be outside of the truck using your tools or airing up, so it shouldn't make much of a difference anyway.
Yeah Im more used to hearing them in cars with bags like a 62 chevy wagon where theres two viars under the back floor. Its loud as -=-=-=-=
Visonik 12" Sub
Custom Fiberglass Box
MA Audio M1889i Amp
Magnaflow Exhaust
Rusty's 2" BB
Dunlop 265/75/16 mud rovers
[/COLOR]
cajunmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2005, 01:13 PM   #11
CunningLinguist

the fastest 12v compressor around!

Run air tools continuously

The Review!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dope Schemes
By all means enjoy Halo 2.5 but for those with cerebral development beyond that of a spider monkey, pick up Bioshock, you won't regret it.
CunningLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2005, 01:20 PM   #12
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunningLinguist
the fastest 12v compressor around!

Run air tools continuously

The Review!
Did you mount that in your Jeep? If so where?
Unread 04-30-2005, 01:27 PM   #13
CunningLinguist

this is the link to the production stuff. I have the XD series. It is mounted on the small off-road trailer I tow, Similar to the tenttrax trailers with the fold up tent.

Oasis Off Road Mfg Compressors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dope Schemes
By all means enjoy Halo 2.5 but for those with cerebral development beyond that of a spider monkey, pick up Bioshock, you won't regret it.
CunningLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.