Blown Water Pump :( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Blown Water Pump :(

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-12-2004, 02:28 PM   #1
GrandRubicon155

Blown Water Pump :(

i went to killington, VT last week and the temperature hit -19 and i think my coolant froze and caused my water pump to break. i woke up the next morning after the drive home to find that my 93' Grand was leaking coolant everywhere. could it be a busted hose? how can i tell for sure that it's the water pump? has anyone ever replaced one on their own? let me know what you think and how it went. thanks guys

sean

Unread 01-14-2004, 06:19 AM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandRubicon155
i went to killington, VT last week and the temperature hit -19 and i think my coolant froze and caused my water pump to break. i woke up the next morning after the drive home to find that my 93' Grand was leaking coolant everywhere. could it be a busted hose? how can i tell for sure that it's the water pump? has anyone ever replaced one on their own? let me know what you think and how it went. thanks guys

sean
9 times out of 10 it will be your water pump. Hoses generally have enough flexability to expand around any ice without bursting. As far as replacing the water pump goes, it is not difficult, but is hard work. It's a good project.
Unread 01-14-2004, 08:42 PM   #3
Silver yj

There is a spot on the bottom of the water pump that is called a wheep hole ( I think that is how its spelled ) It will leak out of there when the pump is bad,the only way to realy see it is with a miror.Also if the Antifreez froze then you better check around for soft plugs leaking also.
Silver yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2004, 09:43 AM   #4
deeger

Water pump replacement

GrandRubicon155,

Just replaced a water pump on my '94 GC 5.2L V8. Mine started to leak which typically indicates the pump will totally crap the bed soon. If you know which end of a wrench to hold, you can do the pump replacement yourself in about an hour. With 150K miles on my Jeep, I did some preventive maintenance, replacing the lower radiator hose and the small 5" long hose that connects to the top of the pump.

Good luck.

Deeger
'97 Honda CBR900RR Erion Racing Edition
deeger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2004, 10:20 AM   #5
GrandRubicon155

thanks for the help guys, i got everything taken care of and she's running pretty well for having 180,000 miles. hopefully nothing will break in the next 2-3 months so i can save some money for future mods. thanks again

sean
Unread 01-15-2004, 11:06 AM   #6
Jim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeger
GrandRubicon155,

Just replaced a water pump on my '94 GC 5.2L V8. Mine started to leak which typically indicates the pump will totally crap the bed soon. If you know which end of a wrench to hold, you can do the pump replacement yourself in about an hour. With 150K miles on my Jeep, I did some preventive maintenance, replacing the lower radiator hose and the small 5" long hose that connects to the top of the pump.

Good luck.

Deeger
Folks-

Hi. I just registered on the site. I just "inherited" a '96 Grand Cherokee with 142K miles from my wife because she bought a brand spankin' new 04 GC. Last weekend the water pump crapped out on me. I managed to get it changed, but it was a PITA. I wish I had found this site prior to doing the work. I have a quick question for those who have changed the water pump. How did you remove the big nut that holds the fan on the pulley? I ended up jamming a big screwdriver between the pulley and the water pump housing to hold the pulley still, but I assume there is a smarter / better way to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2004, 11:42 AM   #7
deeger

JimMoore,

Water pump relacement on a 5.2L V8 is indeed a PITA. That frickin', son-of-a-biach nut you refer to on the fan assembly was a challenge. I tried your method of jamming a large screwdriver into the pump pully mechanism, but couldn't get the shaft to stop turning. After exhausting all other options, and running out of patience and swear words, GarageLogic finally engaged. I removed the water pump with the fan still attached. In the process, I knifed two hoses, convincing myself that they probably needed to be replaced anyway. With the pump and fan lose, I was able to extract the plastic radiator shroud...which by the way...I have since renamed "That Black Piece of Plastic from HELL".

On the workbench, with the pump locked in a vice, the big nut gave up the battle. Installation was simply backtracking the steps. 30 minutes later I lit up a victory cigar, and declared it to be Miller Time.

Total cost was under $100. (includes a few band-aids).

Deeger
'97 Honda CBR900RR Erion Racing Edition

Last edited by deeger; 01-15-2004 at 11:53 AM..
deeger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2004, 12:05 PM   #8
Jim Moore

Quote:
JimMoore,

I removed the water pump with the fan still attached. Deeger
Good thinking. I was wondering if that whole assembly would squeeze out. I'll do it that way if I ever have to do the water pump again.
2004 GCL
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2004, 01:33 AM   #9
94ZZJJ

Quote:
JimMoore,

"That Black Piece of Plastic from HELL".

Deeger
Agreed!

I figured out that a strap wrench(rubber) will work. I used that and a 36mm cresent. Just hold the pulley with it. If anyone gets a new pump, make sure it has the pulley already on. I had a bad time getting the stock pulley off w/o being too rough on it.

I might be doing it again I think
94ZZJJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2004, 09:42 PM   #10
lovat
2004 WJ 

I just changed mine today, and I used a Big ol crescent wrench on it. (Metric, you know ;~) I had to hold the serpentine belt still, and I thought it was not going to come, but luck was with me, and it came right off. This is the first repair in a long time that I did not break anything else, nor scrape any knuckles.... Kinda thought something went wrong!

Anyway, the only hose that was a real problem, was that upper hose with the tiny clearance, I had trouble on re- assembly. I had to clamp my channel locks on it with a hose clamp. The hose clamp was 'squeezing' the handles of the pliers, which were squeezing the working hose clamp into the open position, thereby enabling the installation of the water pump.

Okay,
Greg
lovat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.