blown head gasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > blown head gasket

Spiderwebshade @ JeepHut.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 03-31-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
tacozappy
1997 ZJ 

blown head gasket

So i finally took the head out. the gasket is bent, and there is this orange, rust looking stuff in the back of the 6th cylinder wall, and a little bit on the 5th, some coolant can be seen in the back of the jacket. I will take my head in, how do i tell my cylinder block isn't messed up. Say i take it in to get maganfluxed and decked and get a new gasket, what's the chance of me encountering another blown head gasket? I bought this jeep and i don't want this to happen to me at all. I have a high school auto club and i want to be able to tow people and a track car.

tacozappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Pictures? You can clean the deck really well and use a mechanics straight edge and a feeler gauge to check for warping. Cracks you would need to take the block in to have it magnafluxed but cracks in the block are usually pretty visible anyway and the 4.0 block isn't prone to cracking. Besides it usually takes a catastrophic event to crack a block. I'd just have the head checked out and slap a new gasket on there.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
tacozappy
1997 ZJ 

i just took the head in and it's cracked are there any more durable heads then just the stock sold?
Unread 04-01-2014, 09:35 PM   #4
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

The stock head is all you need. Mine is 22 years old, it was removed for the very first time for a valve job last year, and it checked out fine, even though the PO had neglected it (and God knows what the POs before the last PO did).

Sounds like something major happened to your engine in the past. Put a replacement stock head on there and keep up with routine maintenance and the head should outlive the rest of the ZJ.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
tacozappy
1997 ZJ 

where could i find a head that is pre-built, I would like to have one ready to go in.
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

You haven't Googled this, have you?

ProMaxx Performance (formerly known as Alabama Cylinder Head) and Clearwater Cylinder Head are often recommended. Clearwater definitely sells fully-assembled heads.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 12:43 AM   #7
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Dover cylinder head sells ready to go heads. They are pretty decent priced too.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
big98tnzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.