Blower Resistor w/ATC or w/o ATC... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Blower Resistor w/ATC or w/o ATC...

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 05-30-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
haumana
kickin' it in the VOG!

2000 WJ 

Blower Resistor w/ATC or w/o ATC...

Hi all-

I'm in need of a little guidance.

I need to change the blower motor resistor and the stealership said it's $170. Ouch!

The HVAC I have does have the "Auto" feature which I never use. Would it be safe/okay to buy the cheaper resistor that doesn't support the Auto feature? I've never been fond of Auto climate controls, but it came with the ZJ so, "Oh, well."

That being said and done, does anyone have any suggestions on where on the internet I should be looking for this part? The part that I think I'm looking for is 4720 278.

I am grateful for small things ... such as the a/c still working, even though it's always on "high" now

haumana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
Briandl

Call another dealership, you should be able to get it for 110.00..

Otherwise I wouldn't know...
Unread 05-30-2006, 10:54 PM   #3
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

http://www.drivewire.com/jeepparts/c...owermotor.html

Or try http://www.uneedapart.com/

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2006, 04:16 AM   #4
CurtP

The ballast between ATC and manual are not interchangable.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2006, 04:30 AM   #5
haumana
kickin' it in the VOG!

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtP
The ballast between ATC and manual are not interchangable.
Bummer

Thanks for the info though. Now I just need to find the resistor from some place other than a stealership.

I've done some surfing on the web, but mostly turn up blower motors. Does anyone out ther know if the blower motors that are being sold also include the resistor that supposed to go with it?
Unread 05-31-2006, 05:58 AM   #6
Rccarps2

Go to www.jeepoemparts.com I did a quick lookup of the part number you gave and they have it for $50.42

Ryan
4.0L K&N Filter
Chrome Tow Hooks
Bilstiens
Mobil 1
Rccarps2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2006, 06:07 PM   #7
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Are you sure the actual resistor is bad? Reson I say that is the plug that went into mine melted and then it shorted out and quit working, I took it apart and soldered the wires directly to the resistor pack and use heat shrink tubing to keep the wires from touching on the board, I was able to make it work again. If the thing's actually bad disreguard, but I was originally told my resistor pack was bad, and those aren't cheap.

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2006, 10:13 PM   #8
haumana
kickin' it in the VOG!

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10achik
Are you sure the actual resistor is bad? ...
I'm never sure about anything. I did a quick look at the Haynes (because some of us don't have a FSM ), and it said that if it has the auto function, then trying to do the circuit testing won't work, it requires special tools, blah, blah, blah .... I'm not how truthful that statement is, but it's effective enough to stop me from doing it.

But from what I can see, it seems that the blower motor resistor is a common problem. I wanted to take a look at if for myself, but it doesn't seem to be "noob friendly" .

I tried to take a look at it, but then decided against it because the sun was beating down my butt and my legs were getting severly sunburned

I'm still open to suggestions and advice!
Unread 05-31-2006, 11:07 PM   #9
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

You know where it's at, right? It's under the glove box in the very back almost where the firewall is, if your a contortionist you can get under there and look up and unplug that plug and see if it's melted, if it is, I'm 99.9% sure that's your problem. All you have to do is un screw the resistor pack and then clip the wire ties that run from the blower motor and stretch out the wires so that you will have room to work on it. I actually clipped the wires going to the blower motor, so I could take it inside and work on it.

Then I took the plug and clipped the plug end off of it and soldered them to the actual leads in the resistor pack, used the heat shrink tubing to prevent the wires from touching and then put it back together. Give me a minute and I'll find you the write up...

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch

Unread 05-31-2006, 11:15 PM   #10
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

OK, here it is, this is the one I used and it helped a lot...

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=678590

Keep going down and you'll see the pictures. The guy talks about a kit the dealership will sell you, I personally did not use it, I just used the same guage wires and used solder instead of using the spade terminals. Worked like a charm, it's just a poor design really, bending a plug completely 180* and plugging it back into something, of course it's going to eventually screw up.

Hope this helps

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP

Unread 05-31-2006, 11:33 PM   #11
haumana
kickin' it in the VOG!

2000 WJ 

Mahalo!

Thanks Ken!

I will print up some of the photos for reference when I'm under the glove box again. Hmm... I'm hoping my wires and/or resistor looks that fried. No kidding, "What were they thinking." Well, I guess that' one way to make sure that the customers keep on coming back.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.