Blower motor comes on with key off HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Blower motor comes on with key off HELP

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

Blower motor comes on with key off HELP

OK so I bought a 97 ZJ a few weeks ago and I have been going over it a section at a time making repairs and installing a lift. I found a problem with the blower motor but cant figure it out. It just comes on from time to time then turns off. Key is off so no power should be getting to it. I replaced the dash controls and also removed the fuse panel in the passenger kick to clean up all terminals and check for internal shorts and found nothing wrong. Anyone else have this happen to them? I can turn the dials on the dash controls with the key off and nothing happens, no power, no fan, no nothing just like it should be. The fan just comes on when it feels like it.

Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Platinum5nine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
sebian
1995 ZJ 

Sounds like it is either of these:

Manual Control: Blower Motor Resistor

Auto Temp Control: Blower Motor Power Module

In either case, if you disconnect the power wire from it, the blower motor should shutoff, and this usually indicates a problem with the resistor or power module, which ever you happen to have. You can limp along without the resistor or module, as the blower motor will still work, but only on the HI setting. The resistor, or module, are located near the blower motor under the dash.

There is a more comprehensive test for them, but I have forgotten what it is.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

That pretty much confirms what I was thinking. I do have auto controls, right next to the blower motor is the module. After checking all wiring and looking around I found the wiper cowl to be FILLED with junk from this Jeep sitting for about a year before I bought it. The 3 screws holding the blower motor in are rusty but nothing crazy. I have a feeling water worked it's way into the heater box and may have fried that module. Ill track one down and swap it. In the mean while, anyone else have any other ideas?
Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Platinum5nine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.