Blower fan stays on after turning off Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Blower fan stays on after turning off Jeep

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 10-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
daufuskieraised
1996 ZJ 

Blower fan stays on after turning off Jeep

So I just had to get a jump because my mom left the power inverter turned on while we were in Chili's at dinner. But she arose the question, why does the AC/Heat blower fan stay on even after the Jeep is shut off? If I have it on while the Jeep is on, and turn the Jeep off, it stays on until I turn the dial to off. But if I turn the dial back on while the Jeep is still off it doesn't come back on. Is this normal? She is trying to blame the dead battery on that instead of the power inverter but I have never noticed the fan staying on after the Jeep is off.

Magnet antenna
daufuskieraised is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I can tell you it's not normal, but I'm kind of at a loss as to what's causing it. Perhaps a bad relay? I'm not sure where the relay for the blower is though. It might require pulling the trim piece off that surrounds the area the cover piece is for the fusebox. I think the relays are above that. It also could be as simple as the climate control going bad. I honestly would think power would be lost to the climate control so it'd not do anything once the vehicle is off. I hope some others will chime in here because this is very curious, and now I'm wondering.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Could be the blower motor resistor, though usually that will just stay on high regardless of what you do. I would think it has to be either the resistor, or the actual AC control panel.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
Could be the blower motor resistor, though usually that will just stay on high regardless of what you do. I would think it has to be either the resistor, or the actual AC control panel.
Resistor. Duh. That's what I was thinking of, but of course it wouldn't come to my hobbled little mind. That sounds just like the resistor to me. I don't think the control has anything to do with the blower still going or not while the power to the vehicle is off, but that'd be worth checking as well.

Time for bed for me. Relay, resistor. They both start with the same letter. I just completely steered myself and dauf in the wrong direction...
Apologies.

Unread 10-13-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I'd focus on the hvac head unit or the relay in the power distribution center.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

Nevermind the blower resistor if the fan still works at all speeds. That's it's only job.

If the fan stays on when the ignition is turned off I would investigate the ignition cylinder itself. Never had the problem myself but had read about it in the past. (And odds are I would have read it here or at wjjeeps.com so a search should bring it up).

CZJ.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
CanadianZed-J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
daufuskieraised
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the answers y'all. I'm gonna make sure the battery is charged and clean the terminals and go from there. We all know how the battery can be.
Magnet antenna
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Bannonjr
1993 ZJ 

My fan stays on until I turn the headlights off....I tell my girlfriend that it's because I'm a magician and can control the earth along with my fan.

Red Jeep Club #151
Canadian Jeeps Club Member #25
Bannonjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
daufuskieraised
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannonjr View Post
My fan stays on until I turn the headlights off....I tell my girlfriend that it's because I'm a magician and can control the earth along with my fan.
Oh that would make sense because I leave my lights on automatic. I'm gonna try that for sure today. I hope I'm a magician too!
Magnet antenna
Unread 10-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Craaazy. I wonder what kind of electrical gizmo doohickey's going on the fritz to cause that. I always leave my headlights on automatic and never have this issue. I have my own list of electrical gremlins, but still.

Unread 10-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
daufuskieraised
1996 ZJ 

Well just an update. It stopped. So maybe it was just being weird because the battery went dead.thanks for help y'all.
Magnet antenna
Unread 09-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #12
Ganjatrooper
1994 ZJ 

an old thread but.... Mine was doing something pretty simular. the blower would stay on even after i turned the car off or even if i turned it off at the dash. my fan speed worked so this is where it tricked me for awhile. I could adjust the speed and everything so i wasnt thinking the resistor but i unplugged it from under the dash and then it would turn off when it was suppose to but now only worked on high

So i need to replace the resistor and should work perfect

Last edited by Ganjatrooper; 09-13-2010 at 02:21 AM.. Reason: jumped the gun and added that i already replaced the resistor.
Ganjatrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2010, 06:39 AM   #13
iPlay1515
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjatrooper View Post
an old thread but.... Mine was doing something pretty simular. the blower would stay on even after i turned the car off or even if i turned it off at the dash. my fan speed worked so this is where it tricked me for awhile. I could adjust the speed and everything so i wasnt thinking the resistor but i unplugged it from under the dash and then it would turn off when it was suppose to but now only worked on high

So i need to replace the resistor and should work perfect
Defective resistors usually prevent the blower from operating rather than making it operate when it should be off.

Is your HVAC system the Automatic Temperature Control version?
iPlay1515 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
jmhouse

So I'm hoping that someone is still looking at this thread. I have a '99 JGC and the blower will not shut off!. When I first bought the Jeep the blower would work intermittantly (but never stay on). I found that the Resistor was melted and it had wires showing. I bought and installed a new resistor and the system then started blowing the blower motor fuse under the hood. I took it my local dealer and......they called me and said they replaced the fuse and everything worked great! Perfect, I picked up the Jeep and the next morning I came outside only to find the blower motor running with no keys in the ignition! Took the car back to the dealer and they called back later that day saying the head control unit needed to be replaced (for $750)! after some research I was not convinced this was the issue. I replaced the head control unit with a used one (that came out of a working Jeep) and the same exact issue occurs!

So, has anyone resolved this issue? Did it wind up being the ignition cylinder? I also see mention of a relay, but can't seem to located a relay that affects the blower motor.

I should also note that my Jeep has Automatic Climate Control.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jmhouse; 03-16-2011 at 04:12 PM..
jmhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #15
Ben1994JGC
1994 FSJ Cherokee 

Blower fan stays on even with key out

I have a 94 grand Cherokee, it was sitting for two years as I got it free and it needed a trans. I put the trans in it in the fall fixed the fuel lines that the mice chewed through and vacuumed the nest out of the blower itself. I didn't see any other damage from mice. I've only put a couple hundred miles on it so far and every thing was working fine.

Yesterday I was driving down the road and the blower fan kicked up to high by itself even though the dial was turned to about quarter speed. the digital screen flashed "ER" for a second. The Temperature control still works but the fan speed control does not, and if i turn the climate control off the fan stays on, if I turn the truck off and take the key out the fan stays on. the only thing i can do is turn the climate control to Auto and the fan will respond to HI or Low.

Any Ideas? I guess I'll try to check the relay first. I'm putting a full charge on the battery now, as I left the glove box light on the other night, so the battery may be weak. but it started on its own and i drove nearly 30 miles before the malfunction started.
Ben1994JGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.