Blinking Check Engine Light : Error 43 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Blinking Check Engine Light : Error 43

Spiderwebshade @ JeepHut.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 02-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Salsa_Dancer
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Blinking Check Engine Light : Error 43

Hi there, Everyone:

The other day when I was driving up a long, STEEP hill at freeway speed (about a one mile long hill at 60 mph) the Check Engine Light on My 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited started blinking. It fell like it was also stuttering a little bit, and seemed like there was a small (but noticeable) loss in power.

I pulled into the slow lane and cut my speed down to about 50 MPH, and it stopped stuttering and, after about 20 seconds, the light stopped blinking and just stayed on.

I have probably driven it about 50 miles since then, and the check engine light has stayed on, and HASN'T started blinking again.

I got an error code of 43 when I diagnosed the check engine, using the key on/off/on/off/on/off/on method.

(I also got an error code of 12 as well, but I am not too worried about that because I had recently disconnected the battery to replace the starter).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might the cause and the best solution?

I know it hasn't had a tune up in a long time (40K Miles?) so I bought a new pair of spark plugs and will try and change them out this evening. If anyone has any troubleshooting tips, they would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Salsa_Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
Salsa_Dancer
1996 XJ Cherokee 

BTW: I just wanted to make sure I am posting in the right forum. My car is a 1996 jeep grand Cherokee limited inline 6 .

Last edited by Salsa_Dancer; 02-01-2009 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: Can't Spell
Unread 02-04-2009, 04:51 AM   #3
JEEPOLD
1996 ZJ 

My jeep has been having the same problems as of last week. I did the ignition code check and I also got code 43 and 27. My jeep is a 96 gcl 4.0 6cyl. If you get your problem fixed before I do, please let me know what you did.
JEEPOLD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Salsa_Dancer
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hi there, Jeepold:

I actually have been getting a lot of suggestions from another forum, and I suggest that you look at it by clicking the following link:

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=492541

Try clicking Here, if the above link doesn't work

Mine was only getting the 43 code, meaning one or more cylinders missing, so the suggestions there are specifically for this one problem.

I am not 100% sure I have it worked out yet. But you should definitely read the suggestions in that thread, and you will probably want to start a thread of your own on that forum as well about the error code 27.

Hope this helps!
Unread 02-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
alexsious
2002 WJ 

possibly the stress of trying to climb the hill caused something to slip, interrupting the normal engine cycle. you are in california, was it on the camarillo grade?
alexsious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Salsa_Dancer
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hi there, alexsious:

what do you mean by "trying to climb the hill caused something to slip" ? It didn't feel like it slipped out of gear or anything like that (it doesn't seem to have any shifting hesitation or anything like that - I had an acura with a bad transmission, so I definitely know what a transmission slipping out of gear feels like).

Most people think that either:

1) It needs a tune up (have just changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor but haven't had a chance to try it up the hill again),

or

2) Has faulty fuel injection (I just bought some fuel injector cleaner, but as you have to wait until the gas is almost empty before adding, I still haven't had a chance to try it out).

I am hoping that one or all of these things will take care of it, since the next steps would either be taking a chance and replacing the coil on my own (under $50) or taking it to a shop to have it worked on. Money is way tight right now, so I hope this has taken care of it.

I am not sure where the Camarillo grade is (I am guessing in southern California), but I live in Northern California, and it is over by Mt. Tam, which is about 15 miles north of San Francisco.
Unread 09-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
hlingar
2001 WJ 

Going up hills or putting a heavier load on the engine that has not been tuned up in a while could cause a missfire. I would recommend pulling plugs and inspecting them and also checking the ohms on the wires.
hlingar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
VApilot

Me Too!

Has anyone got an answer to this yet? I have a 2004 GC (72k miles/6 cyl) and I noticed a few times in the last month it seem to stumble while sitting at lights. Last night on a road trip through the VA countryside it started missing at random intervals but not badly. This went on for 30-40 miles intermittently and then things got BAD. It started really running rough and the engine light came on and just a few minutes later started blinking (the manual says "imminent loss of power" ) and it was barely running. This happened in a matter of a few minutes. I limped a few miles back to a dealer shop and shut it down.

This vehicle has been pretty well maintained and I had expected to tune it up soon. It's always had fuel injector cleaner dumped in it at every oil change. From the way it was running, I had definitely lost one, maybe two cylinders and I didn't need an error code to tell me that. It just had the O2 sensors replaced about 10 months ago also.

Does anything think this is just an injector failure or worst-case, a head gasket? The oil pressure and temp were all ok and I didn't appear to blowing anything putrid out the exhaust but it was dark. I was just shocked at how fast the situation degraded.

If anyone has any previews on what I can expect, thanks in advance. I will post the conclusion when I get the [presumably] bad news.

UPDATE: So this turns out to be exactly what I thought - a bad injector. They found some corrosion in there too which chaffs me a little since I don't live near any saltwater. Anyway, 400 bucks for the new plugs which I was going to do anyway and the injector repair which would have gone out anyway. I was just lucky I was driving past a shop when it got bad.

Reading some of the others posts, I see that the fuel rail on these runs at 40psi which seems a little extreme and probably contributes a lot of stress to these parts and the quickness with which they reach complete failure after a small problem starts. Who thought that was a good idea, we'll probably never know.

Last edited by VApilot; 10-13-2009 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: Updated.
VApilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.