bled the brakes and still no pedal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > bled the brakes and still no pedal

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 09-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
mad_skillz

bled the brakes and still no pedal

i just got done bleeding the crap out of the brakes.now it spits a nice stream of fluid.
but i still have a weak pedal with very little brakes.
i pumped the brakes untill they got hard when i had the jeep started and then i pressed the brakes and it stopped perfect.
but i had to pump them untill they where hard.if my calipers are shot could it be causing this?
or what else could this be.i bled the brake good.
what about that brake fluid sensor.could that do anything like this if it is bad?

mad_skillz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Turbonut

Leak in system. A few weeks ago a friend of mine put a MC on his van as he said he had no leaks and thought it was the MC. Bleed the brakes, hard pedal that slowly went away. Found a leak in the metal line.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

How did you bleed them?

Are you having to add fluid?

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
mad_skillz

i used one of those bleeder hand pump machines.the advance auto loaner tool one.and after that i even tried to bleed them with a friend and all i got was a nice stream of brake fluid from all wheels.
i dont think i am losing fluid.
Unread 09-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
Ford_Prefect
1984 CJ7 

First, I would ask why you thought you needed to bleed them. IE did you change the axles out, or did you do something to disconnect the brake lines somewhere? Perhaps you were low and topped it off?

If you have not had to add any fluid then you likely have not done much in the way of trying to get a bubble out of the lines. Further, if you have brake fluid that is older than about (I think) 5+ years then you should consider flushing it out with new stuff anyhow.

I do not know about the calipers, if they would cause this or not. Personally I really want to go with the brake fluid first. When you are parked push on the brakes for a long time and see if you really do have a leak or not...(engine running) good luck to you.
Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
chrisbean
1998 ZJ 

vaccum leak?
chrisbean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
mad_skillz

how would i check for a vacuum leak.and how would i fix it.

thanks
Unread 09-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #8
mad_skillz

dont know if this matters but when i press the brake it goes to floor.when i take the vacuum hose off from the booster it has presser.is it supposed to do that?
Unread 09-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
mad_skillz

also when i have the jeep started and i pump the brake the brake dont come up fast at all.it takes it good al time come up if i try and pump it
Unread 09-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
chrisbean
1998 ZJ 

That's a million $ question. Not sure how to test that.Maybe some one here can jump in and tell us how. I just did mine as well, bleed the #$*& out of them till it was clear and i have so-so brakes. When I go to brake they are spongy at first then when I let off and brake again, it's like I have super brakes.A little pressure and they will stop you NOW!
chrisbean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.