Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Bilstein shocks

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  m3photo 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
it's time to get new shocks (GC 5.2 1995 111k) and i thought about set of Bilsteins. Also steering stabilizer is worn out (leaks oil), so in coming weekend i'll spend some time under the Jeep.
Any tips for changing shocks?
Whats the best choice for new steering stabilizer?

Thanks,
Erik

#3 ·
The stabilizer seizes on. You will need a puller to remove it. Just remove the nut ¾ of the way, then pop the joint with the puller.

#4 ·
Shock absorber change

NuTone said:
Any tips for changing shocks?
Erik
Don't know about Bilsteins although I hear they are good. I always go for Koni 'cos they've suited me fine so far with no problems. Believe me, once you've fitted new shocks on a vehicle that's been waiting a hundred thousand miles like yours you'll:
a) Think it's a different vehicle - corners flatter, safer ride, stopping distances considerably shorter etc.
b) Kick yourself for delaying the obvious.

It's strange how most drivers attach importance to brakes and neglect replacing shocks, which depending on the vehicle and road/driving conditions is a must at most every 40,000 miles. As stated above, besides driving comfort (hence their confusing name), when working properly they are a key factor in braking safely and in the shortest possible time.

Sorry to sound the obvious horn here to those who don't need my cackling but unfortunately there are so many on the roads that haven't got the message and could cause you an accident - so please spread the word, eh.

All the best,
m.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.