Bilstein 4600 vs 5100 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bilstein 4600 vs 5100

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
ItsTheDogs
1998 ZJ 

Bilstein 4600 vs 5100

Ok, so I'm running in circles concerning what I want to do. I'm replacing my 200k shocks on my stock suspension. I want to go with Bilsteins (I think). My options:

1) 5100 + 1.5" BB (possibly 2" but that might be pushing it)
2) 4600 stock
3) 4600 with small (1" - 1.5") BB <-- is this even doable?

I guess the question is coming down to the ride difference between the 4600 and the 5100. Has anyone ridden both and noticed a difference?

As mentioned in my other threads: 85% on Hwy, 15% on "forest roads" usually LOADED with camping gear, and soon a trailer. Which would be better for this application?

Oh and: 98 ZJ 4.0

ItsTheDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I've had stock blue Bilsteins and the silver 3" lift ones. And now I've got the 2" lift ones sitting on my bench to lift my other ZJ. Hard to compare because it's been too long. I got OME HD springs to go with them. Should be a great ride.

If you aren't going to lift, I'd do option 2, and option 3 is not doable.
HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
NinetySevenZJay
1996 ZJ 

im planning on getting the 5100 for my 2" bb eventually. right now the stock ones aren't too bad
NinetySevenZJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Kolak
Vendor

The 4600 series are valved a bit more firmly than the 5100 series.

4600 series will work OK with 1" or so lift but once you get over that you want to go with 5100 series.

I have all Bilstein on special so PM me if you want to chat.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Higgins
1998 ZJ 

If your looking at purchasing the Bilstein shocks, good luck! Neither series are available! Have both sets on order for weeks........... Still waiting for someone to say they have them. It not available by next week, I'm going to find a replacement for the Bilstein shocks..............
AL
Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
ItsTheDogs
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
If your looking at purchasing the Bilstein shocks, good luck! Neither series are available! Have both sets on order for weeks........... Still waiting for someone to say they have them. It not available by next week, I'm going to find a replacement for the Bilstein shocks..............
Hmmmm - can't say this adds much to the conversation. But thanks anyway. BTW, did you talk to the guy who posted just above you?
ItsTheDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
Kolak
Vendor

Is your Jeep stock height or lifted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
AL
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
Higgins
1998 ZJ 

The reason I left the comment was, if anyone was thinking of doing a lift, and using Bilstein shocks, they could be in for a long wait as they are not normally available. Ordered them locally and cancelled the order after 2 wks and not having a delivery date. Ordered them from shockwarehouse and still waiting on a delivery date. If I don't hear anything by Friday, will cancel and choose another supplier...........

One normal, one lifted!

AL
Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 01:54 AM   #9
Kolak
Vendor

I can't think of any of the more common stock or lifted height Bilsteins that are on backorder right now. I also have all Bilstein on special. See my thread over in the Vendor Forum, PM me here on the forum or email me at kolak@aol.com for pricing and availability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
The reason I left the comment was, if anyone was thinking of doing a lift, and using Bilstein shocks, they could be in for a long wait as they are not normally available. Ordered them locally and cancelled the order after 2 wks and not having a delivery date. Ordered them from shockwarehouse and still waiting on a delivery date. If I don't hear anything by Friday, will cancel and choose another supplier...........

One normal, one lifted!

AL

Tags
budget boost , comparison , shocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.