biggest tires with 4" or less lift - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > biggest tires with 4" or less lift

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-06-2014, 06:18 AM   #46
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
bad cell phone pics.. but here's mine on the 32s. Front WB extension is one of the keys to get enough room for larger tires. I've always said the CA lengths lift kit manufacturers specify are wrong - they just don't work IMO. I've got around 1.5" to 1.75" of WB extension, works a lot better than the "correct" length at my lift height.

On level ground, at the back of the wheelwell at full lock:

Drivers' side at full lock, front of tire. This looks a bit weird, but the knuckles are touching steering stops. At full articulation, tire is about 1" off from the sway bar.

Another view:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 06:44 AM   #47
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Hey Timo, extending your front CA's didnt interfere with your body side coil mounts or nothing?

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #48
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
Hey Timo, extending your front CA's didnt interfere with your body side coil mounts or nothing?
You can go about 1"-1.25" forward fairly easily. More than that it's more of a adjust, check through the travel, re-adjust, re-check - sort of a thing. It all depends on your lift height, tire size, wheel size, etc.. I ran about 1.25" or slightly more front WB extension without issues on stock steering. Did not rub the coils on the coil towers, but it was close at full droop.

When I did the WJ knuckle/brake/ steering conversion, I extended the WB a bit more, and re-centered the coil buckets on the axle. Gave me a bit more room on the already tight fit with the tierod flipped OTK.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #49
000shock
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj
You can go about 1"-1.25" forward fairly easily. More than that it's more of a adjust, check through the travel, re-adjust, re-check - sort of a thing. It all depends on your lift height, tire size, wheel size, etc.. I ran about 1.25" or slightly more front WB extension without issues on stock steering. Did not rub the coils on the coil towers, but it was close at full droop. When I did the WJ knuckle/brake/ steering conversion, I extended the WB a bit more, and re-centered the coil buckets on the axle. Gave me a bit more room on the already tight fit with the tierod flipped OTK.
Hey timo...is that measured level from back to front (fender to axle center for example) or at the control arms (at a slight angle)? How much can you do the same to the rear?
Unread 03-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #50
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000shock View Post
Hey timo...is that measured level from back to front (fender to axle center for example) or at the control arms (at a slight angle)? How much can you do the same to the rear?
I checked the LCA length from the charts they recommend for the lift height, then added whatever WB stretch I wanted to that number. UCAs I always adjust according to pinion angle, not for a specific length (ie., check pinion angle is correct, adjust UCAs according to that).

In the rear I've extended about 1.5", can't go much further than that.

But, as I mentioned going with longer link lengths is always a trial-and-error- type of setup, you really have to check through the whole tarvel range with the tires mounted that you don't run into any issues. I tested without coils, it's much easier to do all the little tweaking if (most likely when ) needed.

***Under construction***
Unread 03-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #51
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Good info man. Thanks man Im going to try adding a bit to my arms and see what happens

Build thread^^
Unread 03-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #52
000shock
1994 ZJ 

Yea, same when I get there.

Anyone know a good thread on home made sway bar discos? I know I've read one but can't find it again.

EDIT* disregard...googled it and its just worth the ~$80 for the real thing.
Unread 03-19-2014, 11:10 PM   #53
000shock
1994 ZJ 

I kind of helped the thread stray...

how bout more pics!

maybe add in extreme trimming, not just cut/fold!
Unread 03-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #54
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
you posted a pic talking about going lock to lock at full bump at a point in your build where in said picture, you couldn't
its funny how these guys with over 3K posts "think" they know what they are talking about, like: you are going to cut your tires up, you can't even flex on a curb, oh and the i second that comment, and here i am with only 6 months or so of ZJ experience making it happen and schooling the veterans (not all, but the 3 that commented on my 33s)

i am not trying to bash, but you guys should not just start throwing **** out there if you are not 100% sure as to what you are conveying, case and point, my rig

and this is with only 2" of bump-stop in the front and 3" in the rear

-no cut up tires
-tackling obstacles larger than a curb
-plenty of up-travel and droop
you guys need to update your crystal balls as they are feeding you false information

i know i do not have the best parts on my rig, but i have a mortgage, wife and 3 kids, 3 running 4X4s and my wife is a stay at home mom, with that being said, i am very happy with my rig and how it performs, i am hanging with a CJ7 and early bronc both on 35s locked front and rear, i am always hearing from them "i can't believe you were able to follow us through that"

i had fun for a while till my son took over, the lil guy would not stop asking to drive, he put a nice dent on my passenger side rocker, good thing is now i can justify sliders to the wife

bronc and CJ are in this pic

Unread 03-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #55
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsducks70
its funny how these guys with over 3K posts "think" they know what they are talking about, like: you are going to cut your tires up, you can't even flex on a curb, oh and the i second that comment, and here i am with only 6 months or so of ZJ experience making it happen and schooling the veterans (not all, but the 3 that commented on my 33s) i am not trying to bash, but you guys should not just start throwing **** out there if you are not 100% sure as to what you are conveying, case and point, my rig and this is with only 2" of bump-stop in the front and 3" in the rear -no cut up tires -tackling obstacles larger than a curb -plenty of up-travel and droop you guys need to update your crystal balls as they are feeding you false information i know i do not have the best parts on my rig, but i have a mortgage, wife and 3 kids, 3 running 4X4s and my wife is a stay at home mom, with that being said, i am very happy with my rig and how it performs, i am hanging with a CJ7 and early bronc both on 35s locked front and rear, i am always hearing from them "i can't believe you were able to follow us through that" i had fun for a while till my son took over, the lil guy would not stop asking to drive, he put a nice dent on my passenger side rocker, good thing is now i can justify sliders to the wife bronc and CJ are in this pic
Then post a pic or your zj at turned at full Lock while flexing like in this pic to prove him wrong.
image-364868532.jpg

Unread 03-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #56
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughknight69 View Post
Then post a pic or your zj at turned at full Lock while flexing like in this pic to prove him wrong.
the proof is that i did not cut up my tires

do you think i went a full day of wheeling without having to turn at full stuff, if you do, then i wouldn't want to wheel your trails, i am required to turn when i wheel, i know it seems unrealistic, but it does happen

you want in, no prob, next outing i will show you how its done. not sure if it will be this weekend, but if i do get out, i will prove i am right, i am not here to prove people wrong which seems to be the MO for most

i will get more when i get out
Unread 03-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #57
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
the proof is that i did not cut up my tires do you think i went a full day of wheeling without having to turn at full stuff, if you do, then i wouldn't want to wheel your trails, i am required to turn when i wheel, i know it seems unrealistic, but it does happen you want in, no prob, next outing i will show you how its done. not sure if it will be this weekend, but if i do get out, i will prove i am right, i am not here to prove people wrong which seems to be the MO for most i will get more when i get out
Are you not rubbing in those pictures? Sure looks like it from the chipped paint. Don't be a **** to me because I suggested you show proof that it for sure doesn't.

Edit: how much have you cut and hammered besides the fender trim? I had 33s on 3.5 in and I had to trim/ hammer ALOT even still seams close in the inner fender with 4.5 in lift my buddy also has 33s and my old 3.5 in lift. But he has no bump stops and keeps sways connected. (No idea why lol) and wheels it regularly. I thought this whole argument was about not trimming with 4in of lift.
Unread 03-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #58
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughknight69 View Post
Are you not rubbing in those pictures? Sure looks like it from the chipped paint. Don't be a **** to me because I suggested you show proof that it for sure doesn't.

Edit: how much have you cut and hammered besides the fender trim? I had 33s on 3.5 in and I had to trim/ hammer ALOT even still seams close in the inner fender with 4.5 in lift my buddy also has 33s and my old 3.5 in lift. But he has no bump stops and keeps sways connected. (No idea why lol) and wheels it regularly. I thought this whole argument was about not trimming with 4in of lift.

sorry, i have to make this quick. the argument was that my tires would get "cut up", not that they would not rub.

chipped paint was from the hammer, i do rub, but no cut here.

sorry about the response, but, there is so much speculation here and guess work, hope you understand
Unread 03-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #59
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Wow. What a **** show.

I had 35s on mine with only a 3.5" lift. Slight trimming on both bumpers, some trimming and hammering in the front wheel well. Had to dial in wheel spacers, bump stops and limiting straps to make it work but it worked just fine.

^^still never saw this.

Build thread^^
Unread 03-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #60
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
sorry, i have to make this quick. the argument was that my tires would get "cut up", not that they would not rub. chipped paint was from the hammer, i do rub, but no cut here. sorry about the response, but, there is so much speculation here and guess work, hope you understand
Ah I see, you must have everything hammered well then, with in my first few days with out hammering more than I thought I needed I cut my mtrs 2 $350 tires cut on the outside :

Though none of the cuts were in danger of destroying the wheel more superficial than anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.