Biggest Tire Size for Stock 5.9 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Biggest Tire Size for Stock 5.9

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 06-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #16
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
dang, how much are you guys paying per wheel at that size? Just goes to show wheel sizes are not universal through different companies.
16's are generally more expensive due to the odd size but treadwrights are not. My guard dogs were 108 per tire.

https://www.treadwright.com/p-36-245...dog-m-t-e.aspx

PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
16's are generally more expensive due to the odd size but treadwrights are not. My guard dogs were 108 per tire.

https://www.treadwright.com/p-36-245...dog-m-t-e.aspx
I have the treadwright 31's wardens, ran me about 98 a tire on the 15" rim. Less aggressive tread though. Wasn't going to complain with those that's for sure. Love the tires, love the price.

how are the guard dogs. Was considering them but with how much street she sees as my DD I didn't wanna burn them down.
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

They are wearing excellent. I will probably have to ditch them from age rather than wear. They are a higher pitched noise than muds but nothing too loud. They were quite loud when I got them but after they broke in they quieted down. I have had them for about a year and a half maybe. I'd have to check the receipt.
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #19
leftfield6
Where are my damn keys?

My stock 'Niner came from the previous owner with 255/70-16 GoodYears on it that were old as hell. Noisy, rough they were, but they didn't rub anything. They came off today for a new set of BFG Long Trails in the stock size. My "Niner is 99% highway work.

(former) 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo
77 CJ-5
75 CJ-5
leftfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #20
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They are wearing excellent. I will probably have to ditch them from age rather than wear. They are a higher pitched noise than muds but nothing too loud. They were quite loud when I got them but after they broke in they quieted down. I have had them for about a year and a half maybe. I'd have to check the receipt.
Mine we're a little noisy at first, much quieter now. I've only had them on for about a month but they seem to be wearing well.
Unread 07-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #21
billyblooshoes
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj

Really?
ok not definitively but ish lol.
from the FAQ's

I'm magic.

245's will fit fine til you get the BB on. Then you'll want 31's
I did see that but it doesn't really answer my question. It says I need a one inch lift to clear 30 and 31s but many are saying they're running them on stock ride height fine.

I'm thinking of just going with 245/70 or 245/75. Guys are running this size on stock height ok?
billyblooshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #22
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

I'm running 245/70/16's on my silver 96 and 255/65/16's on my black 96. Plenty O room. Stock height, stock wheels.
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #23
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyblooshoes View Post
I did see that but it doesn't really answer my question. It says I need a one inch lift to clear 30 and 31s but many are saying they're running them on stock ride height fine.

I'm thinking of just going with 245/70 or 245/75. Guys are running this size on stock height ok?
You can probably fit them in thee with no lift but don't plan on wheeling it very much. Not much room for the tire to move around in the wheel well. I have 245/75's on a 2" BB and I wouldn't want a bigger tire in there when I'm disconnected.

If you want them for looks then you can fit them. Probably need some less backspaced rims or wheel spacers.
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #24
billyblooshoes
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower

You can probably fit them in thee with no lift but don't plan on wheeling it very much. Not much room for the tire to move around in the wheel well. I have 245/75's on a 2" BB and I wouldn't want a bigger tire in there when I'm disconnected.

If you want them for looks then you can fit them. Probably need some less backspaced rims or wheel spacers.
Understood. Is there a reasonable compromise where I could get a little bigger size than stock but still have enough room for some light off road work?
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #25
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You could just put the bigger tire on and extend the bumpstops. It will limit the flex but it won't eat into the fender.If you don't need the articulation then it will be fine.
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #26
billyblooshoes
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
You could just put the bigger tire on and extend the bumpstops. It will limit the flex but it won't eat into the fender.If you don't need the articulation then it will be fine.
Forgive me but could you elaborate on that? I'm still relatively new to this stuff and I'm not sure what extending the bump stops means or how you would go about doing that.

As an alternative would you recommend just sticking with stock tire size or is there a size that would be larger but a happy compromise of performance and clearance.
Unread 07-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #27
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Forgive me but could you elaborate on that? I'm still relatively new to this stuff and I'm not sure what extending the bump stops means or how you would go about doing that.

As an alternative would you recommend just sticking with stock tire size or is there a size that would be larger but a happy compromise of performance and clearance.
Look inside your coils, there's a post sticking down, then a rubber pad at the bottom. throw a hockey puck or 2 with something to glue them (I used rtv black) on the bottom pad. When the wheel on that side goes up, the part sticking down and then the hockey puck glued to your spring retainer ontop of the axle will contact, preventing the tire from rubbing on the inside of the wheel well.

For performance it depends on what you're looking for. I had (still have them in my garage) a set of kumho a/t's that were great on the trail. They were 245's. Paid about 600 for 4 at discount tire. Now I'm on treadwright 31's world of clearance difference

if you want, get upcountry springs, they provide about 1" or so of lift and give you more clearance. To run 30's. I'm on that plus a bb kit right now, but will be putting on my 3.5" springs soon. So if you're interested in the springs pm me.
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #28
billyblooshoes
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
Look inside your coils, there's a post sticking down, then a rubber pad at the bottom. throw a hockey puck or 2 with something to glue them (I used rtv black) on the bottom pad. When the wheel on that side goes up, the part sticking down and then the hockey puck glued to your spring retainer ontop of the axle will contact, preventing the tire from rubbing on the inside of the wheel well.

For performance it depends on what you're looking for. I had (still have them in my garage) a set of kumho a/t's that were great on the trail. They were 245's. Paid about 600 for 4 at discount tire. Now I'm on treadwright 31's world of clearance difference

if you want, get upcountry springs, they provide about 1" or so of lift and give you more clearance. To run 30's. I'm on that plus a bb kit right now, but will be putting on my 3.5" springs soon. So if you're interested in the springs pm me.
sorry to keep rehashing this, but im just trying to wrap my head around everything. how limited will my jeep be if i end up stuffing a 245/70 or 245/75 tire in there? i mean like i said, my off roading will be limited, as its most just my DD. but i do live in a rural area and do not want to be neutered by my tire size if i need or want to get off road a little bit. nothing too crazy, just talking like wooded trails etc. would i really be that limited or do you think i would most likely be ok? im just worried about spending the coin on some nice tires only to find out that i can barely turn or hit a speed bump because i bought them too big.
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #29
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
sorry to keep rehashing this, but im just trying to wrap my head around everything. how limited will my jeep be if i end up stuffing a 245/70 or 245/75 tire in there? i mean like i said, my off roading will be limited, as its most just my DD. but i do live in a rural area and do not want to be neutered by my tire size if i need or want to get off road a little bit. nothing too crazy, just talking like wooded trails etc. would i really be that limited or do you think i would most likely be ok? im just worried about spending the coin on some nice tires only to find out that i can barely turn or hit a speed bump because i bought them too big.
Will you be buying quick disconnects for your off road use? If not just put the larger tire in there and bump stop it.

If you don't need discos then you are not going to need much articulation. You do not need articulation in mud. Just over larger rocks, ruts, or trees.
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #30
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Will you be buying quick disconnects for your off road use? If not just put the larger tire in there and bump stop it.

If you don't need discos then you are not going to need much articulation. You do not need articulation in mud. Just over larger rocks, ruts, or trees.
This..and with the upcountry springs I had and my 245's I had no issues with rub. I never disco'd til I put on my 31s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.