Best way to switch out Motor mounts - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-06-2009, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Best way to switch out Motor mounts

What is the simplest way to get the motor mounts out and replace them my D side is shot and i wanna tackle it this weekend.

5.2 V8 OBTW

Can't wait to get started, but my wallet can......
~~~_______oooo_
~~ / ../...\...\_____\
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-06-2009, 05:34 PM
bcollier1823
1998 ZJ 

I just did all three of mine two days ago.

Real simple, jack the car up a little bit so there's room- then block it.

2) Get some pieces of wood about the size of your oil pan, then jack up your engine a couple inches with the wood between the jack and the oil pan so you do not crunch it. Don't go too far or your radiator fan might hit your radiator.

3) I put a 18mm closed end wrench on the back part of the bolt and wedged it up against the exhaust manifold and it stayed there itself. Then I loosened the main nut with an 18mm socket and a breaker bar.

4) lift up the engine a little more and you can pull the bolt out.

5) Then there are two more bolts holding the mount to the engine, 18mm as well I believe-undo those. The 'nut' inside is welded to the mount so you don't need to hold anything inside. Then there is a third bolt holding the mount to the engine and this one is a *****. You will have to move the mount around and fit a wrench inside to hold the nut. Then stick an 18mm socket up behind it and loosen it, things get tricky fitting your hand around the bars and axle.

6) Take out the mount and to install is the exact reverse. I would highly recommend putting the bolt you took out last, in first on the new mount. Then lower engine as necessary to put the big bolt that you took out first in. Then do the other two bolts.

Snug 'er down real good and viola you are done.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Billy Collier

post #3 of 4 Old 05-29-2009, 04:14 PM
ttavenieriii
1994 ZJ 

what about on the i6 motors there are 4 bolts on the motor mount not including the one holding the one on the motor whats the best wat to do them???
post #4 of 4 Old 09-23-2009, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
ISUzj
2005 WK 

I did this about a week ago(finally) and I had no press to push the new mounts in....If anyone runs into that problem the best thing you can do is put some oil or grease in the Motor mount frames and use a 2x4 or two and your standard jeep OEM jack. Then find a solid beam on a house/building/parking garage and jack the new poly bushing into place b/t the 2x4s and beam...it takes time but since your other jack is being used to hold the motor up...you might need this and works like a charm

Can't wait to get started, but my wallet can......
~~~_______oooo_
~~ / ../...\...\_____\
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.