Best way to switch out Motor mounts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best way to switch out Motor mounts

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Best way to switch out Motor mounts

What is the simplest way to get the motor mounts out and replace them my D side is shot and i wanna tackle it this weekend.

5.2 V8 OBTW

~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
bcollier1823
1998 ZJ 

I just did all three of mine two days ago.

Real simple, jack the car up a little bit so there's room- then block it.

2) Get some pieces of wood about the size of your oil pan, then jack up your engine a couple inches with the wood between the jack and the oil pan so you do not crunch it. Don't go too far or your radiator fan might hit your radiator.

3) I put a 18mm closed end wrench on the back part of the bolt and wedged it up against the exhaust manifold and it stayed there itself. Then I loosened the main nut with an 18mm socket and a breaker bar.

4) lift up the engine a little more and you can pull the bolt out.

5) Then there are two more bolts holding the mount to the engine, 18mm as well I believe-undo those. The 'nut' inside is welded to the mount so you don't need to hold anything inside. Then there is a third bolt holding the mount to the engine and this one is a *****. You will have to move the mount around and fit a wrench inside to hold the nut. Then stick an 18mm socket up behind it and loosen it, things get tricky fitting your hand around the bars and axle.

6) Take out the mount and to install is the exact reverse. I would highly recommend putting the bolt you took out last, in first on the new mount. Then lower engine as necessary to put the big bolt that you took out first in. Then do the other two bolts.

Snug 'er down real good and viola you are done.

If you have any more questions, let me know.
Unread 05-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
ttavenieriii
1994 ZJ 

what about on the i6 motors there are 4 bolts on the motor mount not including the one holding the one on the motor whats the best wat to do them???
ttavenieriii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
ISUzj
2005 WK 

I did this about a week ago(finally) and I had no press to push the new mounts in....If anyone runs into that problem the best thing you can do is put some oil or grease in the Motor mount frames and use a 2x4 or two and your standard jeep OEM jack. Then find a solid beam on a house/building/parking garage and jack the new poly bushing into place b/t the 2x4s and beam...it takes time but since your other jack is being used to hold the motor up...you might need this and works like a charm
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.