Best way to replace Engine/Motor Mounts. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best way to replace Engine/Motor Mounts.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-29-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
imajeepman
1993 ZJ 

Best way to replace Engine/Motor Mounts.

Shoot!

imajeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

With a wrench.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

and maybe a socket on the passenger side

"Shoot!"
firearms are not a viable option!
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
KJK
1998 ZJ 

It's a pretty straight forward procedure. The bolts on the driver's side are quite a PITA but doable. I placed a piece of wood on a floor jack and positioned it under the oil pan. You can slowly apply pressure with the jack until you can just slide out the motor mount bolt and then remove the mount. Do one side at a time to keep everything aligned.

***Safety note!***

You'll be working in a confined area with your hands between the engine and the frame rail. Get a few scrap pieces of 2x4's or something and stuff them between the oil pan and the cross member after the engine is jacked up. This will save your hands in the event the jack slips or fails.
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
imajeepman
1993 ZJ 

Awesome guys! Those are a given...I go about it by raising the engine with a 4 by 4 on top of a floor jack (Never use metal on metal). Wrench's must be used on driver's side and socket w/extensions on the passenger side.

Does anyone know if you need the rubber bushings that come with replacement mounts? I received 2 with my right (only installed and one loose for the other side upon installing middle bolt) and only 1 with my left.

Just thought I would start a reliable source of information to help keep Jeep's running and climbing, appreciate all the time and information made available.

Always carry safely! - Pro NRA!
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
imajeepman
1993 ZJ 

Good one KJK! Nice side *****Safety Note******!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.