best way to remove sludge from the engine? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > best way to remove sludge from the engine?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 11-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Do you not understand that the additive packs are part of the oil? They are not separate from the oil. People switch oil all of the time from summer to winter with cars, trucks, and heavy machinery.

Where are your facts?

In the 60's when synthetic came out it was bad to switch because it would shrink or expand the seals at different rates. Oils today do not have that problem.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

I understand that additive packages are chemicals that oil manufacturers add to their oil. It is common knowledge among mechanics that not all oil additive packages are happy together. Most will be fine, but not all.

I don't consider **** that I find on the internet "facts". However, if you really want to see some "facts" then here:
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...ing-lubricants

"Incompatibilities between additive packages. Problems here can include additive precipitation, loss of antiwear performance, loss of demulsification properties, reduction of oxidation stability, and the loss of storage stability when mixing lubricants in storage tanks."
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #18
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

And my point was that article was SPECIFICALLY talking about synthetic vs peutroleum based oils. They were simply talking about whether or not the oils would expand at different rates and lubricate more/less etc etc. They were not talking about the additive packages at all.
Unread 11-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

All you are telling me is that hydraulic oil should not be mixed with turbine oil, or locomotive oil should not be mixed with racing oil. This still proves nothing with common automotive oil, which is highly standardized today.
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

The point remains the same whether it is engine oil or turbine oil or hydraulic fluid. The additives are not designed to be mixed.
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #21
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

They may not be meant to be mixed but it sure won't cause harm to the motor. And the point is not the same because mixing lubricants together that are designed for totally different machines will cause huge problems. This is not so with conventional motor oil. At the most it will reduce the oils longevity and cancel out some of the beneficial properties. That isn't even an issue if you do oil changes on time like you should. Sludge builds up from lack of maintenance.
Unread 11-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #22
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
They may not be meant to be mixed but it sure won't cause harm to the motor. And the point is not the same because mixing lubricants together that are designed for totally different machines will cause huge problems. This is not so with conventional motor oil. At the most it will reduce the oils longevity and cancel out some of the beneficial properties. That isn't even an issue if you do oil changes on time like you should. Sludge builds up from lack of maintenance.
Mixing those additive packages can cause all kinds of different ****. Mainly your seals go bad faster. I'm not a scientist so I can't sit here and say "if you mix A with B your oil will deteriorate blah blah blah" but it is a well known fact that mixing different oils MAY cause premature engine damage.
Unread 11-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #23
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Let's just agree that we both like beer instead.
Unread 11-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
Let's just agree that we both like beer instead.
Agreed.
Unread 11-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #25
bumperthumper
1995 ZJ 

Geezus guys. That escalated quickly. I know I'm not getting it squeaky clean, but I just want my 205k mile 4.0 to make it through the winter lol.
bumperthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #26
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperthumper
Geezus guys. That escalated quickly. I know I'm not getting it squeaky clean, but I just want my 205k mile 4.0 to make it through the winter lol.
Lol, welcome to da interwebz.

But yeah, I'd try seafoam first
Unread 11-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #27
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Unread 11-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #28
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Unread 11-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #29
Bullwinkle_98ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Back in the day we used to put a quart of diesel in the crankcase before draining the old oil, let it run for a few min then drop the oil.

Today, there are so many things that you can add to the oil that it is up to you to decide. Any additive that is designed to flush the engine of sludge should help the situation, just follow the directions exactly as directed.

Once done, use a good quality oil and change regularly.
I don't have a sludge problem, but the ZJ sat for a while so I am flushing/conditioning mine at the moment with Marvel Mystery Oil, before I drop the oil again. I use Mobil 10W-30 conventional.
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #30
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Marvel mystery oil really is some good stuff. Great for freeing up stuck rings

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.