Best way to remove fan clutch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best way to remove fan clutch?

The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOffset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 09-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
rfd499
1996 ZJ 

Best way to remove fan clutch?

My 96 JGC 5.2L has 256k on it and the water pump let go today. I replaced it several years ago with around 140k and remember the fan clutch being a pain in the rear. What are some tips on removing it without a spanner to hold the pulley? Tried search but I dont have premium membership. Thanks

rfd499 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
tennman1990
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I wedged a wrench between one of the bolts andd the pulley and used my left hand to hold it still while trying to get one of the nuts off the clutch with another wrench and my right hand. Repeat for the others. Not the easiest but deffinately the cheapest.
Unread 09-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennman1990 View Post
I wedged a wrench between one of the bolts andd the pulley and used my left hand to hold it still while trying to get one of the nuts off the clutch with another wrench and my right hand. Repeat for the others. Not the easiest but deffinately the cheapest.
YUP! Same here. I believe I used a long handled box end, but any wrench will work.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
kachink
1998 ZJ 

I think the previous two guys are talking about the 4.0, which has 4 smaller bolts holding it on. Your 5.2 has the one hex that threads onto the end of the shaft itself.

The Haynes manual suggests pressing on the belt to put extra pressure on the pulley, but good luck getting enough pressure to break it loose. Here's a pic of what worked for me. The red arrow is pointing to the chuck key from my drill motor inserted into one of the holes on the face of the pulley. My biggest screwdriver went under the key then over the top of the shaft. I had a helper pull up on the screwdriver while I beat on a pipe slipped over the end of the pipe wrench for more leverage.
dscf1402.jpg  
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
frenchface
1995 ZJ 

I had to take mine out with the fan still attached to the pump. I then put it in a vice and i still struggled a little to get it off
Unread 09-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
blackjack12982
1994 ZJ 

If you've got access to an air compressor, check the parts stores to see if you can rent a "fan clutch removal" tool. It goes on an air hammer and will take the fan clutch off in seconds.
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
Joeyicu
1998 ZJ 

or if you have access to an air compressor just tap it with an air chisel with a regular tipped attachment on it, it will come right loose

I removed mine with the pump still hooked to it, because I was going to electric fan, so that process works to, then when on the ground you may be able to manipulate it a little better
Unread 09-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, 4.0 here. Didn't realize they had two different setups. Sorry for the mis-information.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
Crasher
1997 ZJ 

I just put a 15" adjustable wrench on the nut of the clutch with the handle straight up. Then hold the tensioner with a wrench to get the belt tight and hit the handle of the adjustable wrench with a hammer and the clutch came free. You can then remove the lower part of the shroud and remove the clutch and fan out the bottom, or remove the fan, clutch and entire shroud at the same time. I've done it both ways.
Unread 09-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Leave the belt on for starters.

First just try using a big wrench and smacking with a hammer. The blow has a better chance of loosening than slow force applied by hand.

If that fails use a large screwdriver against one of the pulley bolts, then do the hammer trick. You're kind of working against yourself since the large nut is one of the pry points, but it'll work.

Most guys that struggle take the belt off first. It's twice as difficult with the belt off.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
RTYauch301
1996 ZJ 

i usually use a torch to heat it up the correct size wrench and a rubber hammer takes about 10 minutes
RTYauch301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
rfd499
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for all the info. I used a bolt through a pulley hole along with a small pry bar to create the leverage point and it worked great. I Cleaned the engine compartment when I was finished with pump replacement to help locate any leaks. Thanks again.
img_0368.jpg   img_0369.jpg   img_0370.jpg  
rfd499 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #13
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I just put a 15" adjustable wrench on the nut of the clutch with the handle straight up. Then hold the tensioner with a wrench to get the belt tight and hit the handle of the adjustable wrench with a hammer and the clutch came free. You can then remove the lower part of the shroud and remove the clutch and fan out the bottom, or remove the fan, clutch and entire shroud at the same time. I've done it both ways.
THIS! My friend and I spent prob 2 hours trying to get that off and someone suggested putting a big wrench on the nut and giving it one good hard whack with a hammer and being at our wits end we gave it a try and first hit broke it right loose.
98318242 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #14
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

FWIW, you don't have to spend crazy money on the official tool. Lisle sell a fan clutch spanner that works for Jeep, GM and Dodge vehicles, you can get it online for about $26.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
rsandwick3
1996 ZJ 

Sorry for the late post, but I just did this over the weekend and wasted a couple hours, since I couldn't find a spanner in stock nearby, trying all sorts of things to crack that nut, until...

With the belt off and a heavy duty strap wrench (I used the red one from the like $12 set of two Craftsman ones from Sears) around the water/fan pulley and arranged to be blocked by the crank pulley, it came off without hesitation.

The loaner tool from Advance had a 3/8" drive hole so I was able to add some leverage length with the "poor man's breaker bar" (AKA a 12" extension, a 4" extension, and a 7/8" deep socket over the end of a 3/8" ratchet handle -- I suppose "don't do this at home" rules apply to that move), which probably made it easier, too.

It was a little bit of a PITA to get situated and tight around the pulley, but way more than made up for that in reduced effort on the fan clutch removal.

I've seen a couple people say no on the strap wrench, but I have a feeling they just didn't have it tight around the pulley. Hope this'll save someone some headache!
rsandwick3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.