Best way to remove 4.0L oil pan? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best way to remove 4.0L oil pan?

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 10-17-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Best way to remove 4.0L oil pan?

I have a small leak from my oil pan so I'm thinking about changing the gasket. Is the FSM procedure (below) the only way to go, or is there a better way?

oil-pan-small.jpg  
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

I'm not sure, but I would like to know, for the near future.
I have heard it both ways, you need to take off exhaust, and you don't, so which is it ?

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
alexjp91

i was able to do mine by just jacking up the motor from the transmission and slipping the oil pan out that way. i didnt have to remove the exhaust. i did have my starter out though.
alexjp91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
cootertwo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Be careful jacking on the damper pulley. Most are rubber mounted.
cootertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

if you get to yours first let me know, im hopefully pulling mine son for a leaky front main and replacing front and rear and checking out the bottom end and im the type of person that will drain the oil then unbolt the pan and see what it hits.
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Exact same FSM oil pan removal directions as the 96. Not sure if it was easier but I dropped the axle down instead of jacking up the engine. Didn't like the idea of maybe damaging the seal on the damper pulley and seemed like too many close things on the top rear of the engine/trans near the firewall.

Probably a whole lot more info in this thread than you want to read. Huh, HD?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/o...stuck-1363383/

The short version for dropping the axle is you undo the tops the shocks and take the axle end track bar bolt out. I only unbolted the sway bar links since they seemed to be on a bind. And since you're pulling the pan back towards the drivers side the exhaust shouldn't have to come off if you can get to the pan bolts.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
I dropped the axle down instead of jacking up the engine
That sounds like a better way, I don't like the idea of jacking the engine up on the crankshaft pulley. Hopefully I'm getting the Ingersoll Rand W7150 for Christmas, which will help me break that track bar bolt loose - couldn't manage it even with a long cheater pipe when I did my coil spring isolators earlier this year.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #8
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
The short version for dropping the axle is you undo the tops the shocks and take the axle end track bar bolt out. I only unbolted the sway bar links since they seemed to be on a bind. And since you're pulling the pan back towards the drivers side the exhaust shouldn't have to come off if you can get to the pan bolts.
Bingo! ^^THIS^^ should be whats in the FSM......Jeep engineers
Unread 10-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #9
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

I had to drop the exhaust on my 5.2 and was still a pain to get the pan out. The 4.0 I did, did not need the exhaust removed. Both kinda a pita but definately manageable.
Unread 10-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

4.0 was easy, I just jacked the body straight up, and pulled the pan out. No problem. No disconnecting shocks, or the trackbar, etc... Now on the V8s it's a different story.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.