best way to get Lock cylinder out? key wont turn? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > best way to get Lock cylinder out? key wont turn?

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention seahawks fans!!! Want to save some $$$ ??!!

Unread Today, 05:16 PM   #1
Tiago
1993 ZJ 

best way to get Lock cylinder out? key wont turn?

Hello everyone this is my first post and this is for my friends jeep grand cherokee 1993 ZJ with 155K miles. he just picked up the jeep and I told him to go for it on the test drive now that we cant get it started i feel responsible and want to help him out.

We got it really cheap! due to a failed front driver side half shaft. I replaced that for him and all was well..... until the temperature rose and now his viscous coupler binds on slow turns . I plan to replace his transfercase with an alternative so that he will have 2wd as well as 4x4 without the viscous coupler that wears out.

Anyways on too the relevant topic <<<<

His jeep is stuck at the construction site he is working at, the key will not turn. we have tried tapping it with a hammer, lubricating with WD40, jiggling the steering wheel, I jacked the car from the front diff and we attemped to turn the key while pushing the wheels. it will not turn no matter what!

at this point and for the price of the vehicle he wouldn't care about using a screwdriver to start it. I am wondering if we can just drill the lock cylinder out to facillitate this? If we can manage that then we can turn it to on to replace the lock cylinder with a new key but for right now it needs to be fixed as cheap as possible as hes not happy with it...

I realize it will be a great vehicle once the 4x4 doesn't bind up. I grabbed a spare ignition switch / lock from a junkyard so if I don't get it right the first time I can do it again.

is this feasible?

Tiago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 09:06 PM   #2
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

First post, huh. Your story is pretty similar to one posted by this Tiagz.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/l...emped-2983329/

Since he's an apprentice technician and he says he already removed his I'd contact him for advice. His master technician probably was able to give him good advice.

Ken
kensnelling is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.