Best value longarm kit? Need 5.5 Inch, and replacing wear parts... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best value longarm kit? Need 5.5 Inch, and replacing wear parts...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

Best value longarm kit? Need 5.5 Inch, and replacing wear parts...

So, my beautiful Jeep is coming up on 300k and she needs a bit of love in the steering and suspension. I have also wanted to start playing in the trails again, so I figure that I may as well go nuts! Lift it like I mean it, and make the steering as tight as it was in 1993. The name of the game is value, best bang for the buck.

My goal is to replace all the worn out parts in the suspension at the same time as installing the lift kit. Itís safe to assume that tie-rod ends and ball joints are warn out. I also want to replace the bushings in the suspension and steering.

For the lift I think I have decided on a 5.5 inch long arm kit. Just still researching brand options.

Thatís right, I want it all! I want excellent Flex, Street Manners, AND Affordability.

The POINT:
What is the best value in longarm 5.5 inch kits?
What other parts will I want to replace that are not part of the kit?

I know, most of yaíll are going to tell me to use the search, and trust I am doing that too. Just seeking out some input from the ZJ Guruís.

locohosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

all the kits that are worth buying are about the same price. iro and re are the lower choices i'd be after, then tnt, then clayton. tnt and clayton require welding where iro and re are optional to weld the brackets on. the re and iro use an inferior rear 4 link and track bar design though.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
all the kits that are worth buying are about the same price. iro and re are the lower choices i'd be after, then tnt, then clayton. tnt and clayton require welding where iro and re are optional to weld the brackets on. the re and iro use an inferior rear 4 link and track bar design though.
RatMonkey, just want to say thanks for all your valuable contributions to these boards. You sir, are awesome.

My steering feels loose already, what other parts and pieces should I replace that could help tighten up the steering while I am at it?
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by locohosa View Post
RatMonkey, just want to say thanks for all your valuable contributions to these boards. You sir, are awesome.

My steering feels loose already, what other parts and pieces should I replace that could help tighten up the steering while I am at it?
Tre's, ball joints. There is an adjustment on the steering box to tighten it up a bit as well.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
So, my beautiful Jeep is coming up on 300k and she needs a bit of love in the steering and suspension. I have also wanted to start playing in the trails again, so I figure that I may as well go nuts! Lift it like I mean it, and make the steering as tight as it was in 1993. The name of the game is value, best bang for the buck.

My goal is to replace all the worn out parts in the suspension at the same time as installing the lift kit. Itís safe to assume that tie-rod ends and ball joints are warn out. I also want to replace the bushings in the suspension and steering.

For the lift I think I have decided on a 5.5 inch long arm kit. Just still researching brand options.

Thatís right, I want it all! I want excellent Flex, Street Manners, AND Affordability.

The POINT:
What is the best value in longarm 5.5 inch kits?
What other parts will I want to replace that are not part of the kit?

I know, most of yaíll are going to tell me to use the search, and trust I am doing that too. Just seeking out some input from the ZJ Guruís.

Everyone bashes their products (myself included) because most of them suck.. I however am really happy with my RC longarms. I had a few minor problems with them that were easily resolved. Look into it

Build thread^^
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
Tre's, ball joints. There is an adjustment on the steering box to tighten it up a bit as well.
Quote:
Everyone bashes their products (myself included) because most of them suck.. I however am really happy with my RC longarms. I had a few minor problems with them that were easily resolved. Look into it
Thank you! I only found a four inch long arm kit on RC, did I miss the 5.5?

I spotted this kit: LINK and it looks slick, it also states that its a three link, seems to not be overly expensive. Am I missing a big huge downside?
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Quote:

I spotted this kit: LINK and it looks slick, it also states that its a three link, seems to not be overly expensive. Am I missing a big huge downside?
No they just make a 4".

IRO makes a good product. I like that you get 8 adjustable arms with the RC kit. The IRO doesnt have rear long arms. IRO would probably be a better product but again, I havent had any issues with weak/pre mature wearing of parts on my RC long arms.

The RC track bar is trash. I ended up with an IRO double sheer.

Build thread^^
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:

only short arms in the rear and it's not a 3 link, it's a radius arm missing one of the axle side upper joints.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

The RC lift has a similar 3 link front however, it is adjustable.

Build thread^^
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
only short arms in the rear and it's not a 3 link, it's a radius arm missing one of the axle side upper joints.
That IRO kit is what youd call a "radius arm" kit? I always wondered what a radius arm kit was.

Build thread^^
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
So how would you say this compares to a short arm kit? I mean, Im ok if its not the top of the line, does this fit the bill as being a good value?

Thank you!
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Anything over 3" youll need adjustable arms. Not necessarily long arms. At 5.5" La's would def be an advantage. If you really want a set of long arms for a better price though Id honestly look into RC you can add spacers for cheap.

Build thread^^
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
That IRO kit is what youd call a "radius arm" kit? I always wondered what a radius arm kit was.
Radius arms : mounts at one location at frame and top and bottom at axle. They are notorious for unloading coming out of compression leading to obvious instability
Iron is a hybrid with one radius arm and one single lower.
3 link- two single lowers and an individual upper.
4 link - 2 uppers and 2lowers
Triangulated 4 link- either the uppers or lowers are triangulated from frame to axle eliminates track bar
Double triangulated 4 link. Both uppers and lowers are triangulated. This is the most stable but impossible to do on the front with out an insane amount of lift
Quote:
So how would you say this compares to a short arm kit? I mean, Im ok if its not the top of the line, does this fit the bill as being a good value?

Thank you!
do it once is all I can advise and I have had lots of problems with RC
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
darkhelmet
1998 ZJ 

im thinking of doing the IRO LA 5.5 kit then down the road getting the claytons rear LA kit... heard it was a fairly decent mix for the "budget"
darkhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.