Best tune up for a 5.2 - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best tune up for a 5.2

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Closed Thread
Unread 11-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #61
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin86me
say im wrong you know everything I know I know bla bla bla stick in the *** I know youve done everything and know it all. I still will never run any of my rigs on regular. enless I ever buy a four or six cylinder. I think ive seen an ad that says you can fertilize your grass with used motor oil, you should try that too. Ill stick to running 93 octane. changing my oil every 3500 miles and doing all my tune ups on time everytime. to say theres no differnce between regular and 93 octane you would have to be retarded. go to a gas station try it. performance mods can give you performance but it is always at a cost. and yes removeing your a/c and fan can give you more horse power.
I'll hop in and let you pick on me if you want.
To start I built a lt1 to run on e85 ethanol, it made 628 on the dyno. I'm sure you know little about lt1s but that is a lot. Usually make mid 5s on race gas. Now how I did it was 14.1 to 1 compression and a custom grind solid roller cam, and of course Afr heads. Tell me again ethanol is junk, by they way most racing association are running ethanol now
An engine is an air pump, the more air, the more power. The key is proper tune, and efficiency. Now take a worn out engine with 8.5 to 1 compression, and you can run whatever gas you want in it,
Octane is the speed of burn, higher octane burns SLOWER. Therefore making less power, and efficiency. The only time you need higher octane is when you raise compression, or advance timing. Or add boost aka raise compression.
Newer flex fuel engines get less mileage on e85 because it is a cooler slower burn, it is also very high octane, and the computer has to put more in. The difference in these engines and normal engines is they crank the timing when running e85 and make more power.

I'd love to hear your theories on biodiesel as well as I burn around 20,000 gallons a year of it in my machinery that has $20,000 engines in them.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #62
Kevin86me
1995 ZJ 

No I dont have to you agreed with what I was sayying. Thank you. well about not all gas being the same. I still disagree on ethanol and bioCrap. Dont get me wrong you can mod it in. Or create an engine for the fuel. but its not what it was made for. I wouldnt put bio in a stock truck or gen. enless it was made or moded for the fuel. You can even run your car on methane if moded enough. but point being some cars are not like others. if you use to low of an octane you get knocking. saabs bmws 5.9s and some 5.2s require higher octane values. Aspecially when it comes to a high milage engine. I take it you live someplace warm running bio as it turns into jello in the lines when it gets cold. must be nice. I was considering it for a heating fuel. but it would require some kind of heating coil.
Kevin86me is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #63
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin86me
No I dont have to you agreed with what I was sayying. Thank you. well about not all gas being the same. I still disagree on ethanol and bioCrap. Dont get me wrong you can mod it in. Or create an engine for the fuel. but its not what it was made for. I wouldnt put bio in a stock truck or gen. enless it was made or moded for the fuel. You can even run your car on methane if moded enough. but point being some cars are not like others. if you use to low of an octane you get knocking. saabs bmws 5.9s and some 5.2s require higher octane values. Aspecially when it comes to a high milage engine. I take it you live someplace warm running bio as it turns into jello in the lines when it gets cold. must be nice. I was considering it for a heating fuel. but it would require some kind of heating coil.
I live in north Dakota. All diesel gels except no1, but you get way less efficiency from 1. This why everyone everywhere blends 1 with other diesel in the winter.

And when you run to low of octane, you don't get knocking, you get detenation, which is the fuel air mixture igniting before the piston reaches tdc. This is caused by a quick burning fuel being run with too much compression, causing the mixture to self ignite, or timing to far advanced. Detention destroys pistons extremely fast. So looking at These facts essentially putting higher octane gas in a engine that doesn't need it is essentially retarding the timing.

One more your wrong on is that an older engine needs better gas. As engines wear they lose compression, not gain it, therefore requiring less octane
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #64
Kevin86me
1995 ZJ 

mine sounds like **** with regular same thing with the 5.9 but that requires high octane. hasnt hurt my timeing at all idles smooth runs nice. has for this long 280,000 something miles. now if I put regular in it I get a light knock. and an uneven idle. regular here is watered down anyways. had a I6 get ruined because of bad gas at cumberland farms. as for loseing compression I rebuild the engine every few years. these heads only have 63k on them. as for my mustang I use high octane fuel as instructed in the manual. Now the 5.2 what is the recomended octane on that? I dont have the stock heads crank or cam though infact I dont beleive I have stock anything. but I have the dodge magnum heads.
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #65
Kevin86me
1995 ZJ 

but alright im going to bed had my fun for the day lol. it was nice talking with you. It would be interesting figureing out the compression at time of detonation for different octane values. Thanks alot man I cant tell you how much ive enjoyed this debate. You really got me thinking alot of why 93 octane runs the best in this 5.2. the math of it all figureing everything in.
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #66
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Manufacturers recommendation for the 4.0 and 5.2 is 87 octane. That is the octane the engine is built to use. If you have ping or knock, temporary use of 93 is recommended until the engine is repaired. At higher altitudes less octane is required.
PolkaPower is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #67
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin86me View Post
just got frustrated with those who talk crap.

Same here...consider this a warning.

Quit being so blunt,ignorant & arrogant. Most of us here don't like it.
Virmagicus is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Tags
coil , performance , plug , tune up , wires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.