Best tune up for a 5.2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best tune up for a 5.2

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Closed Thread
Unread 10-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
Kevin86me
1995 ZJ 

Best tune up for a 5.2

So its that time again to give my beast a tune up. Last time 3-4yrs ago I went with bosch platinum +4 everything cap rotor coil pluggs wires etc. This time Im thinking accell. Im looking for the best high performance hp and mpg. Ive looked up all sorts of tune up kits and brands and see complaints about everyone. stock just wont work for me makes the jeep ride like a van. Theres a big differnce from between stock and aftermarket. regardless if your willing to admit it. I havent had any issues with bosch platinum +4. In all the years ive used them despite the claims. and there was a big hp mpg gain from the stock gear. But now Im reaching that time to change it all again. Im getting 17 mpg in town and 22mpg highway. On level road. after four years of use. I have a 3 inch lift BFG 31s a push bar knN filters magna flow cc 137amp alt etc.. So im going to try to get more out of my tune up this time. So what does everyone have and whats you hp mpg etc.. by comp not by your own math please no exaggerations. So what do you got? and whats your performance?

Kevin86me is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Email Nick at www.kolak@aol.com . His ignition set up is great.
PolkaPower is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I've got taylor fire wire wires, champion copper plugs(don't use bosch anything, or platinum), napa brass cap and rotor.

Accel coils dont have a very good longevity reputation. Go with msd if you really need a bigger coil.

ratmonkey is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
LeeZJ
1996 ZJ 

Why do people say to not use bosch plugs? I swear i replaced mine ( 4.0) with bosch and it runs like a dream.
LeeZJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
General_Jeep
1994 ZJ 

I think it's cause people don't restart there PCM when they do tune ups with better parts. I put in those E3's in mine, restarted the PCM and it runs pretty sweet with the ford injector swap.
2005 Nissan Titan - Hauler

"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!" - Enzo Ferrari
General_Jeep is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Kevin86me
1995 ZJ 

I Tried the injector swap but it kept missing and backfireing couldnt figure it out. Tried it with two sets of injectors had to go with seimens.
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
Buzz98zj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Jeep
I think it's cause people don't restart there PCM when they do tune ups with better parts. I put in those E3's in mine, restarted the PCM and it runs pretty sweet with the ford injector swap.
Restart the PCM? How?
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
Kevin86me
1995 ZJ 

remove the battery. ground the positive cable against the alt bracket for 30 secounds.
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

There's not a big difference in tuneup parts other than low quality junk making weak spark. The only power to be found in a tuneup is reclaiming what was lost by worn ignition components. You're not going to find power beyond the way it was factory equipped unless you have a high performance engine with extra compression and cam timing or some other power adder that's increasing cylinder pressure. Judging by the description, that's not your engine.

Question 1, if you had excellent results with bosch +4, why use anything else?

Question 2, if you want gains why not look at an MSD/jacobs multi-spark type ignition setup instead of aiming for the highest quality stock replacement stuff?

There is a lot of false hoodoo-voodoo advertising around ignition components. Beware anything that says 9mm plug wires etc are gonna make horsepower.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Jeep View Post
i tried e3's a little while back. they were junk in 10k. every one of the ground straps was spark eroded.

these jeeps are not designed to run with the platinum plugs. copper plugs give best normal performance, iridium plugs are best all around.

ratmonkey is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #11
Kevin86me
1995 ZJ 

Im looking for the best not better. Like the grass being greener on the other side. and I dissagree a stock jeep. cannot compare to a modded jeep. If cars came the best they can be from chrysler why would we build mods. with the bosch crap I got alot of results you cant get from the stock equipment. way better gas mileage too. But thats why Im asking around because all of the bull****e put out for marketing this or that. I want quality hp mpg gains. not dollar sighns a fancy label and no results. I figure If theres anywhere to figure this out it should be here with us.
I do have alot of mods just didnt want to go through them all. Its hard to remember everything over the years. You know how it is when you replace or rebuild replace everything with better than you take out. I wish I kept track but ive got a 95 jgc 5.2, 98jgc 5.9, 86 m.cobra 5.0, 99pontiac ga, and I trade alot so Ive probly had twenty projects just this year. I always hold onto this jeep though Ive had her forever and plan too keep her. personel value. but back to topic The best? ngk accell msd bosch jacobs autolight etc.......?
Unread 10-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Today engineers build vehicles to get optimum results with the parts they put on them. Any spark plug you put on a vehicle with significant age that has old plugs you are going to see a drastic difference at the beginning.
Unread 10-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
Kevin86me
1995 ZJ 

Lol .. yes But ive given it tune ups with both stock and high performance and high performance wins in any vehicle let alone this one. and if that was the case optimum results lol. they build the vehicle to the specs of a marketing and accounting department. Whats best for the company over customer. otherwise they would all come with KnN intakes the ram heads etc.. and there wouldnt be any plastic on the newwer cheaper cars of today. and they wouldnt of come with the dana 35 they would of come with ford 8.8 or atleast dana 44s. so that arguement is shot to hell. Not to mention the np249 swap arguement.vc problems. And the awful alarms we all have to dissactivate. And if they where thinkiing of optimum results they would have direct ignition systems. way more hp and gas mileage. Not to mention the cost of replaceing wires and coils over the years. The cheap heat sheilds. and on your 98 the electric fan motor. the ford taurus fan motor is a big improvment and more reliable. but again the subject is.....
Unread 10-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #14
Kevin86me
1995 ZJ 

Like the pic by the way funny as hell
Unread 10-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #15
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

No thanks, I'll keep most of the OEM parts. Including the spark plugs that came with it.
Closed Thread

Tags
coil , performance , plug , tune up , wires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.