Best speaker? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best speaker?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
OregonZJ98
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Best speaker?

What are the beat speakers sound good and still have alot of bass? And how much are they?

OregonZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I put some clarion 6x9's in my caliber and im happy with them they were only 120$ and I think they are three way. If you still have the factory deck then I would start there and dont cheap out the more it weighs the better it will be.
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
JeepNowski

2004 WJ 

For me, the best cost to quality has been Pioneer for smaller speakers (My WJ uses 6x9s in the front doors and 6 1/2s I think in the back doors). My old WJ has a pair of Pioneer 3 way 6x9s in the front doors and a pair of Polk Audio 6.5s in the back doors along with a Pioneer deck. Sounds pretty good but has no amp or anything like that....Just a straight up stock system. My new to me 04 WJ has the infinity gold system and the sound from it is about equal to the system in my old WJ. I paid right at $100 for the 6x9s and $70 for the 6.5s.
For larger subs, I've been a Kicker/Rockford Fosgate man since I was a kid....like, 20 years ago...But I haven't purchased a subwoofer since I was a kid so I have no idea how much they would cost these days.
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I traded a sony Ericsson xperia play with a cracked screen for a 12" jl audio sub with box. My phone had a replacement screen to go with it i just never fixed it.
Unread 09-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
greyhnd
1996 ZJ 

I bought a pair of MB Quart PVI-216 6.5" to replace the blown fronts on my ZJ. They are component speakers so you have a few options for mounting. I placed mine in the factory positions and mounted them as co-axial. They have pretty good low end and the tweeters aren't over bearing. Used the included crossovers to fine tune the sound and I'm very satisfied. Iirc I paid about $125 for the pair on Amazon or ebay, can't remember now which one. They will handle 70 - 140W per channel @ 4ohms and will also get plenty loud if that's your thing. Frequency response is listed as 38 - 32.000HZ.

I also added a FLi 10" sub in a DIY tube enclosure (sonotube) and after it was broke in, it does a great job of filling in the bottom end. The sonotube cost me about $10 and the sub I got on sale online for about $35. Performance is similar to one of the lower budget JBL 10" subs and about 2/3 the price.
greyhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
chaZJones
1996 ZJ 

don't know much about speakers but I have polk in my zj and a clarion deck and they sound great
Unread 09-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Best is a never ending argument. For the price I like the polk audio db651, both my ZJ's have them. If you want musical bass then a powered sub like the BOSS bass800 like I have in the trail jeep is a reasonable addition, it doesn't take much to augment low end.

If you want thump that shakes the car go look at a honda forum.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Best is a never ending argument. For the price I like the polk audio db651, both my ZJ's have them. If you want musical bass then a powered sub like the BOSS bass800 like I have in the trail jeep is a reasonable addition, it doesn't take much to augment low end.

If you want thump that shakes the car go look at a honda forum.
I got those polks a while ago from Ctrochfield. Good speakers. They sounded ten times better after I put in a Kenwood deck today.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
zonkerd
1995 ZJ 

I put polk audio marine in the door 6 1/2 sound awesome water proof too
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkerd View Post
I put polk audio marine in the door 6 1/2 sound awesome water proof too
The speakers are water proof however im sure the wiring is not.
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
pageman
1995 ZJ 

i have found that bets bang for your buck is infinity kappa's. now there not water proof
pageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
offroadjeep4x4
1997 ZJ 

I just installed these a couple months ago replacing the factory infiniti gold speakers that were rotted. These are awesome. clear highs and good bass for a small speaker. I also lined the doors with the dynamat alternative from home depot soon after installing the speakers. That made a huge difference too. sounds even better now.

http://www.mtx.com/_mtx+mobile+6+5+3...no-tn653_171/b

http://www.homedepot.com/p/USeal-Ban...0#.Uj-O39LOlHU
offroadjeep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.