Best Quick Disco's for DW - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best Quick Disco's for DW

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #16
BigDaveZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLNinja View Post
steering stabilizer just masks the problem.....a new SS is not a solution to dw... but a bandaid

check to make sure your track bar bolts are tight, check bushings, check everything else..

sway bar will NOT cause death wobble..... i drive with my sway bar disconnected about 90% of the time ( daily driver ) and i never have death wobble

best discos are JKS though

This.

I haven't had a steering stabilizer or swaybar on my ZJ for years. Only time I got DW was when my trackbar was loose.

Unread 05-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #17
trailblaze
2004 WJ 

did the OP get an alignment?

i too don't think a SS will "fix" DW. maybe mask the feeling you get in the steering wheel.

i ran a lifted XJ with no SB links for a while and i never had DW.
Unread 05-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #18
trailblaze
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
It prevents it from occuring in the first place.

It dampens oscillations that lead to DW on solid axle vehicles that are prone to such behavior such as our Jeeps.

if it just dampens the oscillations.... it is not preventing DW from occuring., but more so preventing you from feeling the dw.

perhaps i'm wrong...
Unread 05-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #19
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

One thing that I noticed when I had DW, was when I had my old SS on, no sway bar, and in 2wd, the DW wasnt nearly as bad as when I had it in 4wd, and had my Links connected. I then got new disconnects from rustys (not saying that they fixed it), and I got a new SS and the it made the dw nearly go away. Something else I noticed was when i put it in 4wd, it wouldn't happen nearly as bad as it did with 2wd, dont ask why,

Im not sure if this information is useful for you, but a SS will definitely help.
Unread 05-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #20
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

I'm getting an alignment from firestone tomorrow (love the lifetime alignments). I bought a new SS when I put my lift on about 5 weeks ago.

Its my belief that there is not ONE cause to DW. Everyone's DW problems seem to be different so I don't think you can say that just because you have never had DW when your sway bar is disco'd that it means that I will never get DW from mine being disco'd. The fact is that every jeep is different, just like everything else that is made.

Now that i have got that out, i think i'm going to eventually go with rusty's until i can get enough money for the JKS. i like how the rusty's have only one pin instead of two on the RE.

White Jeep Club Member #108

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

CAREFREE, WHEREVER WE MAY BE
WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
CUZ WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
kmk108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #21
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
One thing that I noticed when I had DW, was when I had my old SS on, no sway bar, and in 2wd, the DW wasnt nearly as bad as when I had it in 4wd, and had my Links connected. I then got new disconnects from rustys (not saying that they fixed it), and I got a new SS and the it made the dw nearly go away. Something else I noticed was when i put it in 4wd, it wouldn't happen nearly as bad as it did with 2wd, dont ask why,

Im not sure if this information is useful for you, but a SS will definitely help.
I wish I could put mine in 2wd. I've been thinking about doing a transfer case swap eventually (maybe a summer project) cuz i almost never use 4wd because it only snows like 5 times a year and the only other time i would use it is wheeling.

I bought a new SS like i said at the same time you were typing your reply. I didn't notice hardly any difference from the stock one, but I haven't had nearly any DW except when my sway bar is disconnected.

To appease the ones who insist it isn't the sway bar: maybe my sway bar being connected is acting like the SS and only "masking" the problem

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 05-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #22
daufuskieraised
1996 ZJ 

Ok, sorry to hijack, but my endlinks broke and I am gonna try to get disconnects. I like Rusty's because of the price and design, but is the PAIR $45 or is it $45 EACH? Also, I only have a BB, would they be okay for my jeep?

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...y_Code=SUS_ACC

And kmk108- I had bumpsteer that turned into DW until I made sure my sway bar was secured, and got a SS. It could only be masking it, but I think it's absorbing the initial impact/shaking and preventing the wobble from going through everything and becoming DW.
Magnet antenna
daufuskieraised is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #23
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daufuskieraised View Post
Ok, sorry to hijack, but my endlinks broke and I am gonna try to get disconnects. I like Rusty's because of the price and design, but is the PAIR $45 or is it $45 EACH? Also, I only have a BB, would they be okay for my jeep?

And kmk108- I had bumpsteer that turned into DW until I made sure my sway bar was secured, and got a SS. It could only be masking it, but I think it's absorbing the initial impact/shaking and preventing the wobble from going through everything and becoming DW.
This is my feeling exactly. I might have DW from something, but it only comes up when I'm disco'd. I would be suprised is there isn't something that is worn out on a zj with 125000 miles.

As for the Rusty's discos, my guess is a pair. I've never seen parts like these sold individually and they show two in the pic.

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 05-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #24
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

your DW is most likely coming from your Jeep not being aligned after installing your lift
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #25
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by daufuskieraised View Post

Your BB is about 1/2 the height that those rusty's DCs are designed to work with. From the pic it looks like one end is threaded to increase overall length to work between 3.5 and 6" of lift height. What it's going to do is make your swaybar sit 1.75" or so higher. You may not notice any difference, but there might be clearance issues if you articulate while connected.

DW is, from my readings, almost always caused by one of three things - worn out parts, loose parts, or bad alignment.

If the part is not worn out too much, or not too loose, or the alignment is ALLLLMost on, then the SS might just mask it enough to "fix" the DW problem... that is until the part wiggles looser or wears out more, or the alignment gets bumped. It's a band aid.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #26
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

I've had 2 alignments since I lifted. I'm getting another cuz I went wheeling

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 05-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #27
horatio102
Web Wheeler

I'd look really close at all of your control arm bushings, track bar, tie rod ends, and all bolts. Granted it was a leaf sprung truck, but I went swaybar-less and without a steering stabilizer for a while on my Ram, and only had major bump steer due to poor steering geometry. No DW.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #28
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post

You will have alot stiffer front end response in 4FT with the 242. This is normal. I would take a better peak at your tie rod ends.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #29
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk108 View Post
I've had 2 alignments since I lifted. I'm getting another cuz I went wheeling
Sounds like you are wasting your time with all of the alignments. As long as the tie rod/ends are still good and you have the same tie rod/toe in measurement there is no need to get an alignment.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #30
Kolak
Vendor

Excuse me? Don't even THINK of accusing me of making a statement just to sell parts. That's not even remotely the way I function. You have no basis for your accusations and ill-conceived notions about me so kindly refrain from conjecture...

Death wobble is a very complex issue that is otherwise known as "caster shake." You'll find it's a well-documented phenomenon with various types of suspensions. The WJ is far more prone to it than the ZJ because of the wheel-to-wheel tierod. It's often very difficult to tame, and resolving it is a lot more complex than have bushings and attachment points that are "solid." Uncontrolled resonance is the result of the interaction of many components and even something as seemingly simple as the weight of the trackbar can set it off. The factory engineers almost did not offer the Up Country suspension on the WJ because the slight geometry change was causing DW on brand new vehicles (tight and solid, right?). Note the resonance dampening weight on the WJ trackbar that was added after initial production began - it is designed to change the resonance frequency of the suspension to prevent uncontrolled oscillation. And this was on brand new stock height vehicles!

Most ZJs will DW also even at stock height if you remove the stock stabilizer. There was even a TSB about it for the 1993 model year. Lifted ZJs are more prone to it. There are certain "magic" combinations of aftermarket tires/air pressure/wheels/backspacing/trackbar/bushings etc. that will not DW without a stabilizer but this is the exception rather than the rule.

In short - this is nowhere nearly as simple as you make it out to be - teams of engineers have problems taming it on vehicles that are brand new. And my motives aren't driven by the sole desire to sell parts as you claim either. I've been a Jeeper all of my adult life and I like to chat about Jeeps just like you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio102 View Post
I'm not calling you a liar, but I 100% disagree. If all of your bushings and attachment points are solid, and your alignment is good, you should not get DW. The steering stabilizer reduces the effects of bump steer, and helps to hide other problems that might cause DW.

If steering stabilizers prevent DW from happening, as you claim, it's only because the real problem isn't bad enough, yet.

I have read about numerous people here who have had DW, installed a steering stabilizer, and had the DW come back within a few days.

Perhaps those people need a quadruple steering stabilizer to fix their issues? Do you sell one of those? I get it, you're trying to sell parts, it's your job. IMO the steering stabilizer only "fixes" DW when the real reason for the DW is just getting started.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.