Best Quick Disco's for DW - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best Quick Disco's for DW

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

Best Quick Disco's for DW

I'm wondering what Quick Discos are the best when my DW issues come from my sway bar not completely tight. The only time I have ever had DW was when my sway bar has not been connected and as tight as possible. I like that the RE ones keep the top and bottom bolts attached the whole time, but is the middle tube going to give enough play to give me DW? I've heard good things from JKS, but they're almost double the price. Also, does the bottom bolt that attaches to the axle play at all? that'll give me DW. I've heard bad things about Rusty's as a business, but what about their quick discos?

I took my zj out wheeling for the first time since I put my lift on. I disconnected the sway bar and went out and had fun for about 3.5 hours. I took the zj back up to the parking lot and re-connected the sway bar links and tightened them. On the drive out, i was going about 35mph and hit a deep hole with one tire and i had DW. So at a gas station I tightened them as much as I could with my little wrench. I was driving home and when I got to 75mph, I had DW. No bumps, just started at that speed. I stopped and took it back up to that speed and it felt like it was going to happen again. I drove at 70 and I was fine. Towards the end of the trip back, I went to 75 and there was no DW.

I could keep them how they are....but I'm impatient.

White Jeep Club Member #108

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

CAREFREE, WHEREVER WE MAY BE
WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
CUZ WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
kmk108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Bort62

I have a hard time seeing how the condition of the swaybar could contribue to death wobble.

Death Wobble is a structural resonance in the steering in a horizontal direction. The swaybar has very little effect on the stiffness of the steering (actually, none.).
Bort62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

You should get an alignment first, and get your tires re-rotated and balanced. If that doesnt work, you can buy a new SS (which eliminated mine). Check the small things first though, like bushings (control arms, track bar) check your tie rods, see if anything is loose.

EDIT: I do have Rustys Discos and they work great. I have no complaints about them, they make great products. Also, thats where i got my SS too.
Unread 05-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

steering stabilizer just masks the problem.....a new SS is not a solution to dw... but a bandaid

check to make sure your track bar bolts are tight, check bushings, check everything else..

sway bar will NOT cause death wobble..... i drive with my sway bar disconnected about 90% of the time ( daily driver ) and i never have death wobble

best discos are JKS though
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

True about the SS, but getting a new one would be good, just to have a smoother ride in the meantime.
Unread 05-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

I bought a new SS a little while ago. Everything is tight. I'm not saying I constantly have a DW problem. The only time i've had DW is when my sway bar is disconnected or the links aren't completely tight. Whenever it is connected properly, I have no problem with DW.

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 05-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk108 View Post
I bought a new SS a little while ago. Everything is tight. I'm not saying I constantly have a DW problem. The only time i've had DW is when my sway bar is disconnected or the links aren't completely tight. Whenever it is connected properly, I have no problem with DW.
When you disco the SB and drive it on the road , you better have good shocks and SS . The slightest out of balance tires can start it off . Alot of ppl can drive 30-40 no issue , but after that , your playing with fire . With either JKS or RE disco's , there's no need to chance it . It certainly won't help the driving charactoristics of a GC having them disco'd.

IMO , the sway bar is part of the suspension dampening system . It uses the opposite side to control sway , leaning , and even combat wandering issues with a weak suspension .

I run RE GenII disco's , minor click , but no complaints . JKS is probably worth the money though , I don't recall one bad word yet
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
horatio102
Web Wheeler

meh, swaybar and steering stabilizer won't cure DW, they'll just hide the effects.

Something else isn't right with your rig. How's your caster?
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

[Insert Facepalm Here]
Greengc4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio102 View Post
meh, swaybar and steering stabilizer won't cure DW, they'll just hide the effects.

Something else isn't right with your rig. How's your caster?
I'm not completely sure about my caster. I am going to get an alignment friday morning, so then it'll either get fixed, or i'll know what the caster is.

I know a SS won't cure DW, but thought it was a good idea to get one anyway, but I have heard many stories about DW when the sway bar is disconnected. I just hate DW and if there is any way to avoid it, I'll try it. The look on my GF's face when it first happened was priceless though...

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 05-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #11
daufuskieraised
1996 ZJ 

I had some DW/bump steer and when I replaced the sway bar frame mounted bushings, SS, and broken end links, it hasn't come back. I installed the SS after the bushings and end links and during the time in between the DW never came up either.
Magnet antenna
daufuskieraised is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
Kolak
Vendor

The steering stabilizer doesn't "hide" DW. It prevents it from occuring in the first place. It dampens oscillations that lead to DW on solid axle vehicles that are prone to such behavior such as our Jeeps.

Calling it a bandaid is like saying your main shock absorbers only mask the oscillations of the springs.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 10:00 PM   #13
daufuskieraised
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
Calling it a bandaid is like saying your main shock absorbers only mask the oscillations of the springs.
I said that a while back and got into it a bit. But I agree.
Magnet antenna
daufuskieraised is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
The steering stabilizer doesn't "hide" DW. It prevents it from occuring in the first place. It dampens oscillations that lead to DW on solid axle vehicles that are prone to such behavior such as our Jeeps.

I'm not calling you a liar, but I 100% disagree. If all of your bushings and attachment points are solid, and your alignment is good, you should not get DW. The steering stabilizer reduces the effects of bump steer, and helps to hide other problems that might cause DW.

If steering stabilizers prevent DW from happening, as you claim, it's only because the real problem isn't bad enough, yet.

I have read about numerous people here who have had DW, installed a steering stabilizer, and had the DW come back within a few days.

Perhaps those people need a quadruple steering stabilizer to fix their issues? Do you sell one of those? I get it, you're trying to sell parts, it's your job. IMO the steering stabilizer only "fixes" DW when the real reason for the DW is just getting started.
Unread 05-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #15
horatio102
Web Wheeler

As to the OP - when I went with the 3" lift, my alignment guy said my caster was maxed out on my stock front control arms, and that I'd really want to get adjustible ones (that and the bushings were going out anyway). It wasn't quite in spec, but he said the only thing I'd probably notice is that the steering wheel wouldn't return to center as fast as it used to. I didn't have DW, but he said any farther out of spec on the caster and basically all bets were off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.