Best plugs, wires, ect. for a 5.9 tune up? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best plugs, wires, ect. for a 5.9 tune up?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
98Five9er
1998 ZJ 

Best plugs, wires, ect. for a 5.9 tune up?

Looking for some advice from some five-niners. I see lots of options when it comes to wires and plugs, looking to see what has worked well for you guys. Part numbers would be a plus. Thanks.

98Five9er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:44 AM   #2
Jagermister323i
1998 ZJ 

ordered from here
https://www.rockauto.com

went with the bosch wires, ngk copper plug. Went with bmw select for cap and rotor
Jagermister323i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 04:44 AM   #3
T-nave
1998 ZJ 

I went with a kit from CRT performance. I havent installed it yet but it includes 8mm wires,cap with brass studs, brass tip rotor, and a 45k coil. All made in the USA. It cost about 100$.
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
x10radsponge
1998 ZJ 

Part number

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-nave View Post
I went with a kit from CRT performance. I havent installed it yet but it includes 8mm wires,cap with brass studs, brass tip rotor, and a 45k coil. All made in the USA. It cost about 100$.
Looked them up, what kit did you get?
x10radsponge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

kolak@aol.com sells an ignition kit. Accel coil, magnacore wires ect. I for got what the prices were though.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
98Five9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
Looked them up, what kit did you get?
Also interested in knowing which one, that sounds like a pretty good deal. That's without spark plugs right?
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
98Five9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
kolak@aol.com sells an ignition kit. Accel coil, magnacore wires ect. I for got what the prices were though.
Yeah I've heard about Kolaks kit but couldn't find it when I searched the forums. I'll email him and get more info, thanks.
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Five9er View Post
Yeah I've heard about Kolaks kit but couldn't find it when I searched the forums. I'll email him and get more info, thanks.
From Kolak:
Quote:
I've always used Autolite platinum plugs in my Kolak Ignition Upgrade kit. Here's all the information - JeepForum members get 10% off the below pricing:

My recommendations for the 5.2/5.9 ZJ ignition system are designed to improve idle quality and throttle response, and to improve and maximize current transfer. This really helps support other modifications. Here's what I recommend:

Magnecor KV85 ignition wires
MSD high output replacement coil
Coil adapter pigtail harness for '98 Jeep
Heavy duty US made brass terminal distributor cap with rotor
Autolite platinum plugs (one heat range colder than stock)
You still have to PM him for pricing. If you want the best, though, his package is hard to beat.
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
98Five9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
From Kolak:

You still have to PM him for pricing. If you want the best, though, his package is hard to beat.
Perfect, couldnt find it I guess I didnt search hard enough. Thanks a lot.
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
T-nave
1998 ZJ 

For some reason they dont have it listed on their website. They have them on ebay though.
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
T-nave
1998 ZJ 

So is the consensus on plugs the autolite 3923 ? Sounds like alot of people are running them with the hotter coils. Any input?
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Kolak's kit is supposedly the best (hey I bought it), but you can do a decent tune up for much cheaper.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.