Which is the best out of these rear spring options? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Which is the best out of these rear spring options?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 03-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Primordial
1995 ZJ 

Which is the best out of these rear spring options?

I've been planning on runn V8 springs in the back but I'm toying with two other options. I have a set of stock JK front springs (52126312AB & 52126313AB) and of course my stock 4.0L springs. From what I've read the V8 springs will give more lift than the 4.0L springs but will also ride a bit harsher. I've also read that stock JK springs will lift a 2.5L Wrangler about 3", but may drop a 4.0L about 1/2"-1", but don't know how they'd stack up in the back of a ZJ...especially since I have the "softer" of the JK springs. I hate to spend the money on a set of V8 springs if they really aren't going give a substantial enough benefit to justify the cost. I do plan on making a custom bumper/swing out tire carrier for the back, so I don't know if the JK springs will really handle the load.

I'd really like to hear some feedback from the JF community on this. It would be great to hear from anyone who has actually ran either of options, especially those who may have tried more than one of these options. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Nick

Primordial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I used new front up country coils in the rear with a 1" spacer to get to 4.5"-5" on my old ZJ. It was stiff/firm but not bad. With the added weight of the bumper and loaded cargo it rode softer. It may sink an inch with all the weight.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

i also used v8 upcountry springs but from a junkard so they were probably sagged a bit
Unread 03-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
Primordial
1995 ZJ 

I'm not sure if any of the yards around here have upcountries or not. I have a guy that's offered me his V8 springs after he takes them out (hopefully this weekend) but since the head gasket let loose this morning every dollar counts.
Primordial is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.