Best offroad foglights for the $$$ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best offroad foglights for the $$$

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 12-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
Dubfire98
1996 ZJ 

Best offroad foglights for the $$$

Hello all, I recently ordered a set of A pillar light mounts for my zj from detoursusa.com. Also a set for a yj for the father in law. Was wondering what a good pair of flood lights would be for us both? We plan on using them for trail riding to/from hunting grounds and etc. Any ideas?

Unread 12-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

I got the beam-style for my ZJ for $40.00, they are ridiculously bright for spotlighting and night wheeling. I also have the mounts from Detours. Check out my avatar.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Dubfire98
1996 ZJ 

Which lights do u have? I was thinking about some led 27w ones. But idk how bright they would be
Unread 12-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Its not the most economical light but I have a 30" double row LED light bar. It fits nicely between the luggage rack rails and the light output is amazing. With the light bar on I can not even tell the headlamps are on too and that's with brighter bulbs and E-code lenses.

jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
ZJJAMES
1996 ZJ 

Any LEDs are bright, I got this bar off amazon for under $300 and it is crazy bright. 40" 15,000 lumins, don't worry about buying name brand LEDs. Just get the most leds you can fit.
Unread 12-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

You guys with the light bars.. how well does the beam hit forward of the hood? I'd hate to drop that kinda coin and have a big glare coming off the hood.

I'v been considering an HID swap into my Hella 500's.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
You guys with the light bars.. how well does the beam hit forward of the hood? I'd hate to drop that kinda coin and have a big glare coming off the hood.

I'v been considering an HID swap into my Hella 500's.
Its hard to explain but the LED bar has focused beam, meaning the light is not scattered. Meaning I get no glare at all. The only thing I notice is when using the light bar in rain or snow you will get reflection back from the drops/flakes. Its not a big deal to get used to but a little annoying.

I have been in vehicles with KC style lights on top and a-pillar that scattered a lot of light that reflected back of the hood and stuff. These LED bars dont do that unless something is directly in front of them to reflect off of.
Unread 12-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

HID's have a good output and are worth looking into but there are many ways of cutting corners especially by going with a cheap kit. When it comes to lighting, you get what you pay for. If you're gonna light up your A pillars, perhaps a little more versatility would be beneficial. The lightforce 140's fit nicely in that location and can change from spot to flood in a matter of a second just by rotating the housing similar to that of a mag light flashlight. Most people put spot lights there to avoid glare. KC has some scoops that mount in that location to reduce hood glare but they look ridiculous.

These are the 170 strikers but the 140's are a little smaller by 30mm. Same features including interchangeable lenses for different driving conditions and weather. Colors and throw are both mixed and matched to give you the best light for your application.

I also went for a bar across the top for those late night trail runs that I need to just see everything.
Unread 12-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

What I like about HID and even LED lights other than light output and lower power needed is their color temperature. If you select the color temp maybe somewhere around 4000-6000k the light output will be very white, it will show a blueish hue but they produce white light. Its a lot better than the dull yellow of conventional bulbs, just changing the color can make a world of difference.
Unread 12-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Its hard to explain but the LED bar has focused beam, meaning the light is not scattered. Meaning I get no glare at all. The only thing I notice is when using the light bar in rain or snow you will get reflection back from the drops/flakes. Its not a big deal to get used to but a little annoying.

I have been in vehicles with KC style lights on top and a-pillar that scattered a lot of light that reflected back of the hood and stuff. These LED bars dont do that unless something is directly in front of them to reflect off of.
Focused beam = cutoff.. that's exactly the input I was looking for! Thanks..

Is there a better brand of lightbar/smaller LED light to buy nowadays? I see a lot of guys jumping on the vendor bandwagon for these, would like a better quality setup if it's available and not all from the same factory in China.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
David97
1995 ZJ 

My lights are all from ebay. lol 34" lightbar on the roof was like 200~ shipped. Lights on my winch were 67 for both shipped. Bother are quite bright and work very well.

David97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
Focused beam = cutoff.. that's exactly the input I was looking for! Thanks..

Is there a better brand of lightbar/smaller LED light to buy nowadays? I see a lot of guys jumping on the vendor bandwagon for these, would like a better quality setup if it's available and not all from the same factory in China.
Rigid, VisionX, Baja Designs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
glock1926
1997 ZJ 

4'' HID's from ebay light output is amazing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-HID-OFFROA...359ded&vxp=mtr
wp_20130420_002.jpg   wp_20130820_004.jpg  
glock1926 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #14
Dubfire98
1996 ZJ 

The lightforce 140s do seem quite functional with the ability to focus spot or flood. But the base looks plastic and cheap? I was thinking about the 6", 6 cree led set. Run about $150 but I can't seem to find any videos or comparisons on them. There was also a 7" hid I liked. Ugh spending money is so difficult haha
Unread 12-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
Dubfire98
1996 ZJ 

The more I look at the lightforce, the more I lean towards them. But do you have to order the diff lenses from them? I've searched online can't seem to find any

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.