Best Electric Fan? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best Electric Fan?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!3" BDS Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep JK 07-11Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
Bronco1
1998 ZJ 

Best Electric Fan?

If I pull the mechanical fan/clutch, what is the best electric fan replacement?
Does it really improve mileage at all?

Bronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

It's a wash for mileage as it is loading up your alt, it may give you a slight difference in power as it won't be weighing down the front end of the engine but not much.

Most of the fans use the same motor, the difference is the shroud and fan blade. You want the shroud that gives you the best radiator coverage. The 9er fan is obviously the best option for that, but they can be hard to find. The mark VII fan is supposed to be a better fit than the taurus but I've not dealt with them.

I don't usually recommend the swap for a daily driver.

More here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/n...l#post23637601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #3
ZJDan7
1998 ZJ 

Why wouldnt you recommend a electric fan for a daily driver?
I am thinking about putting one in my 98 5.2
ZJDan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2015, 09:04 PM   #4
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Well, if you're in simi valley it might make sense.

Overall in normal driving the efan doesn't give any advantage and ends up being a big failure point. The clutch fan should be able to cool a 5.2 zj in 100 degree heat without much issue. I see a lot of people wanting to swap an efan because their cooling system isn't working correctly, not gonna help.

Where an efan really excels is high engine load, low speed, low rpm. The sort of thing you see more in trail riding or rock crawling than in daily driving. Unless you're commuting to ox-snard.

Between fan controllers, relays, motors, temp switches or sensors, added electrical drain, its adding a lot of complexity to something that doesn't need any help in the murphy department. While I love it in the green pig, if I was still using the pig as a DD I would probably have kept the clutch or swapped the efan for wheeling trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2015, 09:18 PM   #5
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJDan7 View Post
Why wouldnt you recommend a electric fan for a daily driver?
I am thinking about putting one in my 98 5.2
Electric fan setups tend to be unreliable or insufficient. Cheaply made fan controllers fail frequently, thermal switches stop working, and off-the-shelf relays aren't typically rated for the duty cycle needed to run an electric fan. Additionally, aftermarket fans tend to have lower airflow rates than the cooling system is optimized for. For example, one member recently noted he installed a 2200cfm aftermarket fan on his ZJ- the highest-flow fan available at the store he purchased it from. The low speed fan on the stock 5.9 Limited is rated to 2500cfm. The high speed fan runs at 3800cfm. For that matter the stock 5-blade clutch fan is rated to 4000cfm at 2000rpm. And its only mode of failure is that the thermostat will stick the clutch in the on position. Unlike the numerous modes of failure for an electric fan.

Now, e-fans do have their place. Stock applications use more robust equipment that doesn't fail as often, and have their cooling systems optimized for e-fan airflow rates. Also, non-daily-driven applications don't need the same reliability, and often don't spend much time at the low speeds where a fan is required. Or, they use multiple fans to give the needed airflow at low speeds, with low engine speeds that can impair clutch fans. And these applications often need the advantages of electric fans, like reduced rotating mass (performance cars) or the ability to switch off the fans when fording water, which is an area where a mechanical fan can cause significant drag.

But retrofitting a ZJ to have an e-fan almost never yields reliable results. People try it all the time, and then they have overheating issues and failed components.

FUEL ECONOMY IS FOR LOSERS
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2015, 07:52 AM   #6
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

If you must, the way to go is the Mopar 5.9 fan/shroud and the big DC Controls controller. That controller uses a pretty nice sensor IMO and it ramps the fan speed which helps keep the system voltage from spiking and sagging. You can even set the fan to always run at at least 10%. That keeps the engine bay from becoming an oven when the fan cycles off.

Or maybe the Dakota Digital controller, but I've not tried that one. With the Dakota, you can use the stock temp sensor if you have some electronic/computer skills. Doing an efan right is a bigger project than you'd expect.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #7
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

I've always been partial to relay-controlled fans. No electronics to fail, just one or two thermal switches, two or three 100% duty cycle relays, and a fan. I find that the failure point at that rate becomes the thermal switch. I've had and seen hit-or-miss experiences with thermal switches. Something something China.

Unread 07-30-2015, 09:44 AM   #8
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

You can use any relay you like with the Dakota Digital. But it doesn't ramp the voltage and it doesn't have the 10% option.
Unread 07-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #9
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
You can use any relay you like with the Dakota Digital. But it doesn't ramp the voltage and it doesn't have the 10% option.
You certainly can do much fancier things with an electronic controller, but the added cost and complexity are considerations to make.

Unread 07-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #10
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
You certainly can do much fancier things with an electronic controller, but the added cost and complexity are considerations to make.
True true
I used the below setup for many years. The cheap thermoswitches were the only failure items. That could be easily remedied. If you use big wire, at least 10ga, and keep the runs short, the sagging and spiking isn't too bad.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/e...9/#post4894366
Unread 07-30-2015, 11:33 AM   #11
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

See that's the kind of thing I'm talking about. Using relays and switches for logic gives a mechanical robustness not found in some of the electronic controllers. Not to mention having the manual overrides is useful.

Even still, I find that aftermarket e-fans can often be insufficient for the cooling needs of a Jeep, and there are still more points of failure than a clutch fan.

Unread 07-30-2015, 11:45 AM   #12
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Clutch fans in both my ZJs right now. No cooling problems at all. Wifey's 5.2 could use the extra grunt an efan offers tho. The severe duty clutch is pretty dang annoying.

I ran electric fans for many years. Just got tired of having something extra (but unnecessary) to worry about. I seek a zen-like experience on Jeep rides. Any noise or worry detracts from that.

Oh...you can wire up any controller with a disable as you well know, just extra work and parts. And the Dc controls has a 135 amp rating (I think).
Unread 07-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #13
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm just an XJ guy, but I removed the mechanical and e-fan and replaced them with three 10" puller SPAL fans running off two relays and a German-made temperature switch. Also upgraded the alternator to a Durango 136-amp and made my own battery/alt/PDC/starter/ground cables out of 4 AWG welding wire. Cooling is better than ever now and I can run A/C full blast in stop and go traffic when it's 90+ degrees out and it just sits like a rock at 210. Okay, the hood vents probably help a little bit. Eventually I'll hook them up to in-cab switches for winter when I only need 1 or 2 and for the occasional water crossing when on trails.
Unread 07-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #14
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Clutch fans in both my ZJs right now. No cooling problems at all. Wifey's 5.2 could use the extra grunt an efan offers tho. The severe duty clutch is pretty dang annoying.

I ran electric fans for many years. Just got tired of having something extra (but unnecessary) to worry about. I seek a zen-like experience on Jeep rides. Any noise or worry detracts from that.

Oh...you can wire up any controller with a disable as you well know, just extra work and parts. And the Dc controls has a 135 amp rating (I think).
I'm probably going to switch to the fan setup from a similar-vintage Ford Explorer. The plastic 11-blade fan has a similar airflow rating, but the much reduced mass improves throttle response and reduces parasitic drag. Additionally, the Ford clutch is more willing to let go than the severe duty clutches for our 5-blade metal fans.

I tried using an e-fan from a WJ on my Laredo. That whole attempt was a mess. Never again.

Unread 07-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #15
ZJDan7
1998 ZJ 

think ill just get some hood louvers... lol

I might order the XJ ones from America rock rods this weekend
http://www.americanrockrods.com/hood_louver_kits.php
ZJDan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.