Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Reply
Unread 08-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #121
Cameleer
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ventura, California
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilive4cars0122 View Post
Cool can't wait to hear the results of the install. Do you know where you are going to connect a ground strap on the radiator to run to the frame?
Not yet, I'm still learning about this electrolysis thing with radiators.

Here is some good information about cooling system electrolysis.
http://www.ve-labs.net/electrolysis-101

Or just do a Google search for:
cooling system electrolysis test

I've been getting a few things ready for this install and will most likely be talking to the people at Ron Davis radiator tomorrow.

Also need to finish installing the soundproofing in my jeep, got the 4 doors done and started on the hatchback this evening. So far it has cut the tire noise down about 25%

__________________
Only those who will risk going too far
can possibly find out how far one can go.
Cameleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #122
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilive4cars0122 View Post
Sorry to be a pain, but if you don't mind let us know how cool your running with it all set.
You're not a pain.
Drove 10 miles to work this morning. Its mostly downhill. The gauge went to about 1/4 past the second tic and sat there. I think that is 192. I'll be driving home in 98 degree weather uphill later today. If everything looks good, I'll be doing over 200 miles tomorrow. Freeway with major grades (this is where I was running hot), highway, forest roads, and maybe a little mild technical. I'll know for sure what's up.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #123
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Not yet, I'm still learning about this electrolysis thing with radiators.

Here is some good information about cooling system electrolysis.
http://www.ve-labs.net/electrolysis-101

Or just do a Google search for:
cooling system electrolysis test

I've been getting a few things ready for this install and will most likely be talking to the people at Ron Davis radiator tomorrow.

Also need to finish installing the soundproofing in my jeep, got the 4 doors done and started on the hatchback this evening. So far it has cut the tire noise down about 25%
pics of soundproofing?
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #124
mkh4747
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Acton, California
Posts: 12
I added "Run Cool Hood Louvers" they work great. You can get them at www.hoodlouvers.com for about $200.00 or I found mine on ebay for $89.00. Get the large size, that's what I put on.
mkh4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #125
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,552
Did 260 miles on Sat.

Freeway 75-80 mph, temp mid to high 80s. Never saw 210, 207-208 pulling the steepest, longest grade. Settled back down to 202 on level. If I slowed down to 65-70 mph, she ran at about 199-200. Before, I was getting up to 220-225 on the big hills and the temp was still rising when the hill ended.

Forest road 5-30 mph, temp 70s. Stayed at 192-195 and didn't budge from that range.

Trans never saw 180 (pan temp). A 15-20+ degree difference from the 195+ temps I was regularly seeing.

Nothing leaking and I'm pretty happy with everything so far.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #126
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,552
Grounded the radiator and put metal tape over the trans cooler holes
grd.jpg  
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #127
ilive4cars0122
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: , NY
Posts: 564
I'm trying to figure out what tab/bolt that ground attaches to on the radiator. where did you ground it on the other end?
ilive4cars0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #128
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,552
For some reason, the manufacturer welded a set of tabs on the rear of this radiator, along with the front tabs of course. The rad I took out only had tabs on the front. Anyway the tab was perfect for a ground. The other end is attached to a copper grounding lug I installed. I can snap a pic of that if you want.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #129
ilive4cars0122
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: , NY
Posts: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
For some reason, the manufacturer welded a set of tabs on the rear of this radiator, along with the front tabs of course. The rad I took out only had tabs on the front. Anyway the tab was perfect for a ground. The other end is attached to a copper grounding lug I installed. I can snap a pic of that if you want.
thought it might have been a tab on the rear...thats interesting. Yea a pic would be cool if you don't mind trying to visualize where on the body/frame the other end is attached to, without going outside in the dark/rain haha
ilive4cars0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #130
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,552
ugly but it works and its handy
scuff the area until the metal is shiny and use a star washer
grd2.jpg  
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #131
bananaslug
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: upland, ca
Posts: 1,452
For those with the 4.0 who stumble on this thread, the Silla radiator that HighLonesome bought is only $102 at Drive Wire.com. They also have the popular CSF heavy duty radiators for cheaper than radiatorbarn.com in 2 or 3 row brass/copper for $207. Might have to give that cheapo Silla a try.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #132
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,552
Did a long drive yesterday. Really hot day. Engine got to 211-212 once climbing La Bahada hill if anyone knows where that is. Outside temp was 93. Otherwise stayed between 192-210. Hangs in the 200-205 area mostly for freeway. Trans saw 195 quite a bit going slow climbing 31-mile road at 92 outside temps. Soon as I get on freeway or highway, the trans comes down to 180 or below. I may attach an 8" electric fan with an on/off switch incab, since there's plenty of room with the AC condenser gone.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #133
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 16,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Did a long drive yesterday. Really hot day. Engine got to 211-212 once climbing La Bahada hill if anyone knows where that is. Outside temp was 93. Otherwise stayed between 192-210. Hangs in the 200-205 area mostly for freeway. Trans saw 195 quite a bit going slow climbing 31-mile road at 92 outside temps. Soon as I get on freeway or highway, the trans comes down to 180 or below. I may attach an 8" electric fan with an on/off switch incab, since there's plenty of room with the AC condenser gone.
After flushing mine it seems to be a lot cooler and more stable. Yesterday it was around 112* and with a couple hours of driving with the ac on full blast it stayed a hair below 210* and in stop and go traffic it was pegged at 210. One when I got off the freeway it went to 211* but back to 210* With the ac off it runs 205*-208*. There is still some crud in the rad so when I do the plenum I will flush it again and put in a new stat.

The trans oil temp coming out of the TC in stop and go was 200-205* and 180-190* on the highway.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #134
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
After flushing mine it seems to be a lot cooler and more stable. Yesterday it was around 112* and with a couple hours of driving with the ac on full blast it stayed a hair below 210* and in stop and go traffic it was pegged at 210. One when I got off the freeway it went to 211* but back to 210* With the ac off it runs 205*-208*. There is still some crud in the rad so when I do the plenum I will flush it again and put in a new stat.

The trans oil temp coming out of the TC in stop and go was 200-205.
211* w/AC in 112 degree weather? Not sure if it gets any better than that. Sounds like the trans temps are conquered too.

I'm going to do the trans cooler fan. Measuring and speccing right now.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #135
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 16,029
Yea, I'm pretty stoked. But for some reason I can't stop messing with it. I just think "one more flush" lol. OCD a bit. You have plenty of room for a fan back there with that condenser gone. I think I'm going to get the 30,000 summit one in your model instead of the fan. If that doesn't work, I can add the fan later.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cooling systems , desert , radiator , transmission
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.