Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #106
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Every time I think I can't burp more air out of this thing it surprises me. That was burp number 4. Going to do it one more time tonight.

PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #107
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

How quick does coolant come out after you start up?

Mine is almost immediately. Makes me wonder if a head gasket is leaking.

I'm wrapping it up for tonite. Got the radiator in, it fits, had to trim the shroud at a place or two. Tomorrow I need to bleed the PS system and get the ATF out of there. I blew the high pressure hose and I used ATF to limp home last ride. Need to wire up my new LED offroad lights, get the bumper cover back on, remount the winch, and get the parking/turn signal lights back on. Also got a little battery terminal work to do. g'nite
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #108
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
How quick does coolant come out after you start up?

Mine is almost immediately. Makes me wonder if a head gasket is leaking.

I'm wrapping it up for tonite. Got the radiator in, it fits, had to trim the shroud at a place or two. Tomorrow I need to bleed the PS system and get the ATF out of there. I blew the high pressure hose and I used ATF to limp home last ride. Need to wire up my new LED offroad lights, get the bumper cover back on, remount the winch, and get the parking/turn signal lights back on. Also got a little battery terminal work to do. g'nite
The coolant doesn't start coming out until it gets to operating temp. I guess when the T stat opens. Then it bubbles and drops down again. It comes out after I turn it off a little then settles.
Unread 07-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #109
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

purrrring like a kitty

4 quarts of PS fluid later, drained it into a empty handle of Smirnoff
did the burping, temp gauge sat at 192 (the real temp of a 195 stat) for the duration, looking good so far
Unread 08-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #110
ilive4cars0122
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome
purrrring like a kitty

4 quarts of PS fluid later, drained it into a empty handle of Smirnoff
did the burping, temp gauge sat at 192 (the real temp of a 195 stat) for the duration, looking good so far
What have your coolant temps been showing on the gauge after the silla all aluminum radiator? Did you stick with the original cap? Sorry just curious in the next couple weeks I'll be putting in an all aluminum one similar to yours but with a lifetime warranty.
ilive4cars0122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #111
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

I got home after being at work of the past 7 days and my new Ron Davis radiator was waiting for me.
It came in a very large well padded box, along with some fittings and instructions.
I'm thinking about having a shop do a complete back flush to my jeep and install this.
Will also be running a ground wire to it and doing some electrical tests to make sure there's no electrolysis problems.

Here's some photos, I will take some better ones tomorrow when it's light out.

Radiator neck.

Drain plug.
Unread 08-02-2012, 04:38 AM   #112
ilive4cars0122
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer
I got home after being at work of the past 7 days and my new Ron Davis radiator was waiting for me.
It came in a very large well padded box, along with some fittings and instructions.
I'm thinking about having a shop do a complete back flush to my jeep and install this.
Will also be running a ground wire to it and doing some electrical tests to make sure there's no electrolysis problems.

Here's some photos, I will take some better ones tomorrow when it's light out.

Radiator neck.

Drain plug.
Thanks for the update. How will you run a ground wire to it if you don't mind me asking? What are the benefits of this?
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #113
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilive4cars0122 View Post
What have your coolant temps been showing on the gauge after the silla all aluminum radiator? Did you stick with the original cap? Sorry just curious in the next couple weeks I'll be putting in an all aluminum one similar to yours but with a lifetime warranty.
Don't know yet. Got it back together the nite before last and drove to work today. As I got out, I noticed coolant dripping on the ground. Drove back home, no leak and everything was dry. :angry: So I got some sort of intermittent leak. And my pressure tester won't fit this rad.

Looking very sweet Cameleer.
Unread 08-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #114
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

Here are some of the instructions that came with this radiator.

Do not use brass fittings on a aluminum radiator. Brass and aluminum react to each other and cause electrolysis. (this radiator came with aluminum fittings for the tranny and overflow)

Before installing a new aluminum radiator the cooling system requires a through flush of the radiator, engine, overflow tank, hoses and heater core. Failure to do so will lead to mixing coolants and contaminates and creates a corrosive cocktail for the radiator.

An electrical current can be generated by the rear end transmission. This is particularly true with air bag suspensions, rubber pad suspensions and rubber-mounted transmission. Any current generated will travel up to the drive shaft to ground through the engine coolant. Grounding rear ends and transmissions is strongly recommended.
They also recommend attaching a ground strap from the radiator to the frame to help control electrolysis.

Last edited by Cameleer; 08-02-2012 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: Added photos
Cameleer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #115
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

That rad is beautiful Cameleer.

Found my leak, my neighbor had an adapter for the rad so I hooked up the pressure tester. Leaking at the top and bottom of the lower rad hose. I learned a lesson on this one...if you change styles of hose clamps say like wider ones, don't chintz out and try to reuse the same hoses. They get molded to the old hose clamps and won't seal up right. So I put the old hose clamps on and all is well. Holding at 18lbs right now.
Unread 08-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #116
mkh4747
1998 ZJ 

I put run cool hood louvers on my jeep the large aluminum ones it helped incredibly
mkh4747 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #117
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh4747
I put run cool hood louvers on my jeep the large aluminum ones it helped incredibly
Picture??
Unread 08-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #118
ilive4cars0122
1998 ZJ 

Cool can't wait to hear the results of the install. Do you know where you are going to connect a ground strap on the radiator to run to the frame?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Here are some of the instructions that came with this radiator.

Do not use brass fittings on a aluminum radiator. Brass and aluminum react to each other and cause electrolysis. (this radiator came with aluminum fittings for the tranny and overflow)

Before installing a new aluminum radiator the cooling system requires a through flush of the radiator, engine, overflow tank, hoses and heater core. Failure to do so will lead to mixing coolants and contaminates and creates a corrosive cocktail for the radiator.

An electrical current can be generated by the rear end transmission. This is particularly true with air bag suspensions, rubber pad suspensions and rubber-mounted transmission. Any current generated will travel up to the drive shaft to ground through the engine coolant. Grounding rear ends and transmissions is strongly recommended.
They also recommend attaching a ground strap from the radiator to the frame to help control electrolysis.

Unread 08-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #119
ilive4cars0122
1998 ZJ 

Sorry to be a pain, but if you don't mind let us know how cool your running with it all set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
That rad is beautiful Cameleer.

Found my leak, my neighbor had an adapter for the rad so I hooked up the pressure tester. Leaking at the top and bottom of the lower rad hose. I learned a lesson on this one...if you change styles of hose clamps say like wider ones, don't chintz out and try to reuse the same hoses. They get molded to the old hose clamps and won't seal up right. So I put the old hose clamps on and all is well. Holding at 18lbs right now.
Unread 08-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #120
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The grail of radiators.

Tags
cooling systems , desert , radiator , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.