Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering - Page 8 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 244 Old 07-29-2012, 07:26 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 19,520
Every time I think I can't burp more air out of this thing it surprises me. That was burp number 4. Going to do it one more time tonight.

PolkaPower is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #107 of 244 Old 07-29-2012, 08:11 PM
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 6,941
How quick does coolant come out after you start up?

Mine is almost immediately. Makes me wonder if a head gasket is leaking.

I'm wrapping it up for tonite. Got the radiator in, it fits, had to trim the shroud at a place or two. Tomorrow I need to bleed the PS system and get the ATF out of there. I blew the high pressure hose and I used ATF to limp home last ride. Need to wire up my new LED offroad lights, get the bumper cover back on, remount the winch, and get the parking/turn signal lights back on. Also got a little battery terminal work to do. g'nite
HighLonesome is offline  
post #108 of 244 Old 07-29-2012, 08:16 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 19,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
How quick does coolant come out after you start up?

Mine is almost immediately. Makes me wonder if a head gasket is leaking.

I'm wrapping it up for tonite. Got the radiator in, it fits, had to trim the shroud at a place or two. Tomorrow I need to bleed the PS system and get the ATF out of there. I blew the high pressure hose and I used ATF to limp home last ride. Need to wire up my new LED offroad lights, get the bumper cover back on, remount the winch, and get the parking/turn signal lights back on. Also got a little battery terminal work to do. g'nite
The coolant doesn't start coming out until it gets to operating temp. I guess when the T stat opens. Then it bubbles and drops down again. It comes out after I turn it off a little then settles.
PolkaPower is online now  
post #109 of 244 Old 07-30-2012, 09:21 PM
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 6,941
purrrring like a kitty

4 quarts of PS fluid later, drained it into a empty handle of Smirnoff
did the burping, temp gauge sat at 192 (the real temp of a 195 stat) for the duration, looking good so far
HighLonesome is offline  
post #110 of 244 Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 PM
ilive4cars0122
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome
purrrring like a kitty

4 quarts of PS fluid later, drained it into a empty handle of Smirnoff
did the burping, temp gauge sat at 192 (the real temp of a 195 stat) for the duration, looking good so far
What have your coolant temps been showing on the gauge after the silla all aluminum radiator? Did you stick with the original cap? Sorry just curious in the next couple weeks I'll be putting in an all aluminum one similar to yours but with a lifetime warranty.
ilive4cars0122 is offline  
post #111 of 244 Old 08-01-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Cameleer
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ventura
Posts: 876
I got home after being at work of the past 7 days and my new Ron Davis radiator was waiting for me.
It came in a very large well padded box, along with some fittings and instructions.
I'm thinking about having a shop do a complete back flush to my jeep and install this.
Will also be running a ground wire to it and doing some electrical tests to make sure there's no electrolysis problems.

Here's some photos, I will take some better ones tomorrow when it's light out.

Radiator neck.


Drain plug.

Only those who will risk going too far
can possibly find out how far one can go.
Cameleer is offline  
post #112 of 244 Old 08-02-2012, 04:38 AM
ilive4cars0122
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer
I got home after being at work of the past 7 days and my new Ron Davis radiator was waiting for me.
It came in a very large well padded box, along with some fittings and instructions.
I'm thinking about having a shop do a complete back flush to my jeep and install this.
Will also be running a ground wire to it and doing some electrical tests to make sure there's no electrolysis problems.

Here's some photos, I will take some better ones tomorrow when it's light out.

Radiator neck.

Drain plug.
Thanks for the update. How will you run a ground wire to it if you don't mind me asking? What are the benefits of this?
ilive4cars0122 is offline  
post #113 of 244 Old 08-02-2012, 07:50 AM
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 6,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilive4cars0122 View Post
What have your coolant temps been showing on the gauge after the silla all aluminum radiator? Did you stick with the original cap? Sorry just curious in the next couple weeks I'll be putting in an all aluminum one similar to yours but with a lifetime warranty.
Don't know yet. Got it back together the nite before last and drove to work today. As I got out, I noticed coolant dripping on the ground. Drove back home, no leak and everything was dry. :angry: So I got some sort of intermittent leak. And my pressure tester won't fit this rad.

Looking very sweet Cameleer.
HighLonesome is offline  
post #114 of 244 Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Cameleer
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ventura
Posts: 876
Here are some of the instructions that came with this radiator.

Do not use brass fittings on a aluminum radiator. Brass and aluminum react to each other and cause electrolysis. (this radiator came with aluminum fittings for the tranny and overflow)

Before installing a new aluminum radiator the cooling system requires a through flush of the radiator, engine, overflow tank, hoses and heater core. Failure to do so will lead to mixing coolants and contaminates and creates a corrosive cocktail for the radiator.

An electrical current can be generated by the rear end transmission. This is particularly true with air bag suspensions, rubber pad suspensions and rubber-mounted transmission. Any current generated will travel up to the drive shaft to ground through the engine coolant. Grounding rear ends and transmissions is strongly recommended.
They also recommend attaching a ground strap from the radiator to the frame to help control electrolysis.












Only those who will risk going too far
can possibly find out how far one can go.

Last edited by Cameleer; 08-02-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Added photos
Cameleer is offline  
post #115 of 244 Old 08-02-2012, 07:03 PM
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 6,941
That rad is beautiful Cameleer.

Found my leak, my neighbor had an adapter for the rad so I hooked up the pressure tester. Leaking at the top and bottom of the lower rad hose. I learned a lesson on this one...if you change styles of hose clamps say like wider ones, don't chintz out and try to reuse the same hoses. They get molded to the old hose clamps and won't seal up right. So I put the old hose clamps on and all is well. Holding at 18lbs right now.
HighLonesome is offline  
post #116 of 244 Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 PM
mkh4747
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Acton
Posts: 11
I put run cool hood louvers on my jeep the large aluminum ones it helped incredibly
mkh4747 is offline  
post #117 of 244 Old 08-02-2012, 10:11 PM
jtackerman28
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Flint
Posts: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh4747
I put run cool hood louvers on my jeep the large aluminum ones it helped incredibly
Picture??

3.5 re lift, double sheer front tb, 31" wrangler duratecs
jtackerman28 is offline  
post #118 of 244 Old 08-02-2012, 10:27 PM
ilive4cars0122
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 606
Cool can't wait to hear the results of the install. Do you know where you are going to connect a ground strap on the radiator to run to the frame?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Here are some of the instructions that came with this radiator.

Do not use brass fittings on a aluminum radiator. Brass and aluminum react to each other and cause electrolysis. (this radiator came with aluminum fittings for the tranny and overflow)

Before installing a new aluminum radiator the cooling system requires a through flush of the radiator, engine, overflow tank, hoses and heater core. Failure to do so will lead to mixing coolants and contaminates and creates a corrosive cocktail for the radiator.

An electrical current can be generated by the rear end transmission. This is particularly true with air bag suspensions, rubber pad suspensions and rubber-mounted transmission. Any current generated will travel up to the drive shaft to ground through the engine coolant. Grounding rear ends and transmissions is strongly recommended.
They also recommend attaching a ground strap from the radiator to the frame to help control electrolysis.











ilive4cars0122 is offline  
post #119 of 244 Old 08-02-2012, 10:29 PM
ilive4cars0122
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 606
Sorry to be a pain, but if you don't mind let us know how cool your running with it all set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
That rad is beautiful Cameleer.

Found my leak, my neighbor had an adapter for the rad so I hooked up the pressure tester. Leaking at the top and bottom of the lower rad hose. I learned a lesson on this one...if you change styles of hose clamps say like wider ones, don't chintz out and try to reuse the same hoses. They get molded to the old hose clamps and won't seal up right. So I put the old hose clamps on and all is well. Holding at 18lbs right now.
ilive4cars0122 is offline  
post #120 of 244 Old 08-02-2012, 10:34 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 19,520
The grail of radiators.
PolkaPower is online now  
Reply

Tags
cooling systems , desert , radiator , transmission

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
cooling systems LordHobbit ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 2 03-01-2010 09:42 AM
Continued WJ power steering/cooling fan issue... 780406jeeper ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 2 07-24-2009 07:26 PM
few questions. calling knowledge on magnet mount cb's, cooling systems, windows, ect fivespeedsteed ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 19 04-15-2008 09:10 AM
WJ Power Steering Fluid Radiator Enhancement nedsud ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 33 06-28-2006 10:55 PM
How are cooling systems flushed at dealerships? ChesterWilliams ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 7 03-22-2005 06:58 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome