Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #76
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Depending on how much cooler the motor is running, I'd put it back the way it was. You've got the niner efan pulling air across the trans cooler already. Adding another efan would be a hassle.

Odd how my trans ran cooler when I bypassed the rad cooler. But my motor is running too hot to begin with.

The cooler in your link is the next size up from the cooler in my pics. They are made by Hayden in Australia. I'm pretty happy with it.

HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #77
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I was thinking about that as well. It's just so anti climatic to put it back the way it was. I am draining and flushing the coolant tomorrow and probably doing an 80/20 water coolant mix with waterwetter. I probably don't need the fan but it would be nice insurance on those 120* days out on the rocks when your moving 2 mph. I would just wire it to a switch in the cab. I was thinking about getting smaller fan and putting it on the aux cooler right in the corner where the hot line in connected.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #78
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Do the fan! It will save you radiator coverage. And move the air faster. Both which are pluses! You could use one of the small ones off a neon with 2 fans or any fwd car
Unread 07-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #79
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The fan has to be no more than 2" thick. Cameleer found one I am thinking about. It won't really save any coverage since the cooler I have on there now takes up a little more than half the condenser. I'll probably end up getting both and blasting the budget I wanted for this. Oh well. You know how it is when you get your mind on something.
Unread 07-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #80
ilive4cars0122
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome

The fan itself is not the only point of failure. Relays, sensors, fuses too. But just carry some wire so you can hook the fan directly to battery if needed.

Radiator came in. It weighs virtually nothing. Says Silla on the box. And the rad cap is much smaller than stock. I'm going to give it a shot.
Im thinking of getting that silla one. Let us know how it works for u. I did notice that radiator cap looks different. Wonder if you could put a better stant cap on there.
ilive4cars0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #81
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilive4cars0122 View Post
Im thinking of getting that silla one. Let us know how it works for u. I did notice that radiator cap looks different. Wonder if you could put a better stant cap on there.
I should have it running by next weekend. Like I said I will pressure test it cold first. Yea the cap worries me but its probably a common PN...I sure hope anyway.
Unread 07-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #82
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Polka this is the cooler I have. I haven't gone above 215 since I bypassed the rad. Temp measured at the pan. I do have a big finned aluminum trans pan that surely helps. I had the DC Controls box running my Mopar fan at least 20% all the time. If you are stock niner, I think there are times when the fan isn't running at all.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...arentProductId=
Unread 07-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #83
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

If you are running 215 at the pan I bet your hot line temps are 250 maybe more. I want mine to read max 215 coming out of the trans during load in hot slow conditions. I don't know if that's possible yet though. I read someplace that the e fan hit high when the ac is on or when temps get really high. Otherwise it's just on low.
Unread 07-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #84
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Its not always on low. It should cycle off completely from time to time. But likely something not worth thinking about.

Just got back from Napa. Got so freaking lucky finding JIC-37 fittings for my trans cooler project. The gal spent 45 minutes going through the fitting shelf until she found something that would work. Also found some hose clamps that are smooth and don't tear up the hose. Little jewels.
Unread 07-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #85
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

top is clamp and Napa PN, handles 3/8" trans and power steering hose
other pic is left: female (unknown to me type) to stock 3/8" piping...other end is JIC-37 female, middle: JIC-37 male union, right: JIC-37 female to 3/8" barb
clamp.jpg   jic37.jpg  
Unread 07-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #86
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
If you are running 215 at the pan I bet your hot line temps are 250 maybe more. I want mine to read max 215 coming out of the trans during load in hot slow conditions. I don't know if that's possible yet though. I read someplace that the e fan hit high when the ac is on or when temps get really high. Otherwise it's just on low.
The e-fan comes on when the ac is on.

I have a 2 seep Lincoln mk 8 fan heading my way from eBay.
There’s a few people using these on 5.9 engines, thought I would check one out.

Most likely I would get a new single speed fan motor and hook a variable speed controller up to it.
This way you can set the temperature to something like 200 degrees and it will stay there with the fan just going faster or slower as needed.
It would be nice never seeing the temperature going over 200.
Unread 07-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #87
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
The e-fan comes on when the ac is on.

I have a 2 seep Lincoln mk 8 fan heading my way from eBay.
There’s a few people using these on 5.9 engines, thought I would check one out.

Most likely I would get a new single speed fan motor and hook a variable speed controller up to it.
This way you can set the temperature to something like 200 degrees and it will stay there with the fan just going faster or slower as needed.
It would be nice never seeing the temperature going over 200.
Looking forward to hearing about the Lincoln fan and your new rad!

Finally got the cooler plumbed..
hose1.jpg   hose2.jpg   hose3.jpg  
Unread 07-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #88
Proph2010
1994 ZJ 

Looks good man; you really gutted the front to get that thing in; I went a simpler route and just used those round zip ties and went through the fins on the condenser.
Proph2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #89
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

thanks
I won't have a condenser to attach things to and I never liked those zip ties.

I did a bunch of other stuff too. Redid the Kolak headlight harness. Removed the relays for my fog lights as I will be going back to the stock harness since the LED fogs I got only draw 14 watts. Removed the fan controller and all wiring. Its amazing at how much electrical stuff is laying on my bench now! It feels good and simple.

I didn't like the harsh bend on the one hose so I redid it and added some loom...
hose4.jpg  
Unread 07-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #90
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

got the dash mat in! this will cut reflected heat and keep us cooler
dash1.jpg   dash2.jpg  

Tags
cooling systems , desert , radiator , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.