Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #46
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
When talking to the guy at Ron Davis Radiators, I asked about using a 180 thermostat and he explained to me why not to use it and how the cooling system works.
I'm interested as to the "why nots" they mentioned. Hundreds, if not thousands, of Magnum engines are running 180's right now and have been for years with no issues and its pretty much a requirement once you start adding more ignition advance and trimmer fuel maps

Unread 07-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #47
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

I had heard about some antifreeze being very bad for aluminum radiators, when asking about this he said to use the Prestone premixed which features a blend of 50% antifreeze/coolant for temperature and corrosion protection and 50% demineralized water.

Something was said about running a ground to the radiator, but I will need to find out more about that.

With help from them and the people on this forum I hope to set up the perfect cooling system.

I also like the idea of installing one of these fluid control thermostats.
fluid control thermostats
Unread 07-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #48
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Just ordered this. I'll take the $168 risk.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-1997-19...06%26rk%3D1%26
I forgot to mention I have the RC winch plate and winch. It blocks about 40% of the airflow up front.
HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #49
aaron7
1998 ZJ 

I've been eyeballing that radiator too... I've bought ebay intercoolers and been very impressed with them before. Couldn't tell them apart from the brands that were 10x the price.

Let me know how the welds and everything looks when you get it!!

Also, cool idea on the hood louver spacers. I'll have to try that!
81 CX500 - next victim...
aaron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #50
aaron7
1998 ZJ 

Hmm... feedback scares me a bit though. http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...s=negative_365
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #51
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
Hmm... feedback scares me a bit though. http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...s=negative_365
Look closely and you will see they are located in China.

Not something would want to put in my jeep where I could brake down 50 miles out in the desert on a scorching hot day.
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #52
aaron7
1998 ZJ 

Agreed! Griffin it is haha
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #53
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Should be delivered today according to UPS. It shipped promptly. If its junk, I'm stuck with it. I knew that up front tho. Pics and opinion on the way. I can pressure test it in my garage, so I'll do that first with plain water.

Just did a major AC delete. Removed compressor, condensor and accumulator, lines and hoses. I may do an engine oil cooler and filter relocation kit. The filter would fit perfectly in the accumulator's old spot. Also adding this PS cooler
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XONO8E/...0_M2T1_SC_dp_1

Oh and removed the efan. Going back to clutch. I'm done with electric fans.
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #54
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Why would you want a radiator from China? We already know what they put in their Coke
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #55
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

How are you going to manage in that New Mexico heat with no AC?
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #56
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
And no defrost anymore
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #57
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Almost all radiators are from China except for the Griffin and Davis. I say almost because a few may still be hecho en mexico. Which one are you running?

I only use the 94 ZJ on weekends for our 'saturday drive'. So during the summer we leave early in the morning when it is cool and we go to mountains at 8000+ ft. elevation for the day. Then we come back at night when it is cool. And we use these

http://www.healthandbodystore.com/neck-coolers-chill-its-evaporative-cooling-bandanas.html?gclid=COisseCJs7ECFUEGRQodDVkALA
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #58
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtackerman28 View Post
And no defrost anymore
Rarely needed in this neck of the woods. I have window visors so I can crack the windows in the rain which helps. In an emergency I can use the heater to defrost.
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #59
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Not something would want to put in my jeep where I could brake down 50 miles out in the desert on a scorching hot day.
Same with your efan, it could die anytime and leave you stranded.
Unread 07-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #60
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Almost all radiators are from China except for the Griffin and Davis. I say almost because a few may still be hecho en mexico. Which one are you running?

I only use the 94 ZJ on weekends for our 'saturday drive'. So during the summer we leave early in the morning when it is cool and we go to mountains at 8000+ ft. elevation for the day. Then we come back at night when it is cool. And we use these

http://www.healthandbodystore.com/neck-coolers-chill-its-evaporative-cooling-bandanas.html?gclid=COisseCJs7ECFUEGRQodDVkALA

Damn that's high tech stuff!

I am running the cheapest radiator rock auto had for about 100 bucks or so. I told them to make sure it was made in a third world country under terrible conditions. I can almost smell the fear of the worker who made it when it warms up!

Tell me about the efan! Clutch fan would be more reliable for sure.

Tags
cooling systems , desert , radiator , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.