Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #31
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proph2010 View Post
That's s good point, I bought the best trams cooler that advanced auto sold, it's a heavy duty towing cooler so I'd imagine it would be fine standalone then as well, I'm about to replace the condenser so I'll go ahead and eliminate the radiator from the trans cooling equation!
I think my Hayden is rated for 23,000lbs class C motor home. I might take it out and get a smaller fin and plate cooler though.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #32
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

I run just the aftermarket trans cooler. Because I bought a high capacity, for towing 12000#, and yes the radiator will just warm it back up if you plumb the cooled before the radiator, and may cool it too much in the winter if after the radiator
Unread 07-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #33
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower

I think my Hayden is rated for 23,000lbs which is RV. I might take it out and get a smaller fin and plate cooler though.
That's what I'm running, its smaller and cools better definitely worth the extra $
Unread 07-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #34
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proph2010 View Post
Can one of you guys explain this to me... Is is bad in the summer because the abient heat from the trans fluid adds heat the the engine coolant your trying to cool down? Is the auxarilary trans cooler capable of just cooling the trans? If thats the case whats the point in hooking it back up in the winter?
In the summer, the cooler in the radiator adds warmth when not necessary. The warmth comes from the engine coolant warming the entire radiator. A good aux cooler will do the job easily alone. The point of reconnecting is in the winter, the trans may never get up to operating temp. That can cause condensation to build up inside the trans.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #35
Proph2010
1994 ZJ 

Ahhh I see, that makes sense.
Proph2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #36
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Would you be able to tell if the trans fluid wasn't warm enough? Like would the OD light come on or it won't shift?
Unread 07-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #37
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

I don't think so. I have a gauge with the sender in the pan.
Unread 07-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #38
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

What's a good range?
Unread 07-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #39
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtackerman28 View Post
What's a good range?
Without googling it , I think you need to get up to 160 or so to burn off the condensation. So running at 170-190 would be nice.
Unread 07-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #40
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome

Without googling it , I think you need to get up to 160 or so to burn off the condensation. So running at 170-190 would be nice.
Ok is putting an inline gauge before the cooler do the same thing as in pan one?
Unread 07-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #41
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I think it gives you a better indication of the health of your oil and you know if it's going to over heat. The hot line is the hottest the oil gets coming out of the converter. If that gets up towards 300* then you have a problem because the oil sheers(turns to varnish) at those temps and will no longer protect the clutches so it's time to change your trans oil. Plus you know that if the oil gets that hot at the converter then inside the transmission is well on it's way to overheating. The trans OD light will come on when the trans gets to 260* and the oil will boil out of the top of the trans shortly after that. The temps in the hot line are usually 30-40* hotter than inside the trans and will heat up and cool off rapidly during different driving conditions.

The temps in the pan are a mix of cool oil from the return and pan oil. It's not really an accurate reflection of whats going on after the pickup line inside the trans. If temps get to 260* in the pan then it's already to late because the temps inside the tranny will already be much higher.
Unread 07-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #42
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I think it gives you a better indication of the health of your oil and you know if it's going to over heat. The hot line is the hottest the oil gets coming out of the converter. If that gets up towards 300* then you have a problem because the oil sheers(turns to varnish) at those temps and will no longer protect the clutches so it's time to change your trans oil. Plus you know that if the oil gets that hot at the converter then inside the transmission is well on it's way to overheating. The trans OD light will come on when the trans gets to 260* and the oil will boil out of the top of the trans shortly after that. The temps in the hot line are usually 30-40* hotter than inside the trans and will heat up and cool off rapidly during different driving conditions.

The temps in the pan are a mix of cool oil from the return and pan oil. It's not really an accurate reflection of whats going on after the pickup line inside the trans. If temps get to 260* in the pan then it's already to late because the temps inside the tranny will already be much higher.
Great info. I can say my trans oil is red and clear after 2 years. I keep a wary eye on it. I may never change it again.
Unread 07-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #43
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Great info. I can say my trans oil is red and clear after 2 years. I keep a wary eye on it. I may never change it again.
I ended up emailing my buddy who works on the NASCAR circuit and he said that's where the pros run there senders so they can see if they are about to ruins a trans.

The only thing I can't stand is watching it heat up and cool off all the time. It makin' me crazy!
Unread 07-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #44
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

When talking to the guy at Ron Davis Radiators, I asked about using a 180 thermostat and he explained to me why not to use it and how the cooling system works.

Then when I asked about adding a external trans cooler to it, he said it was not needed, and not advised with this radiator.

Talked about water pumps, radiator corrosion, electrolysis, the proper coolant to use, PS cooling, and the Griffin Radiators vs the Ron Davis Radiators.
I learned a lot, have many more questions, and will be talking to them a few more times.
Unread 07-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #45
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

I'm all ears.

Tags
cooling systems , desert , radiator , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.