Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #211
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I don't recall this quandary Polka. Maybe the gasket has changed. Can you snap a pic or two?

HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #212
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Sure here you go. Looking at the mating surface on the motor it looks like the skinnier part is in the back but it does't hurt to be sure.
picture-27.jpg   picture-28.jpg  
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #213
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Don't know for sure. I would match it up to the head personally.
Unread 09-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #214
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Don't know for sure. I would match it up to the head personally.
Ok cool. That's what I was going off of. Thanks.
Unread 09-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #215
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

back on topic, check this bad boy out
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEGS-Perform...91ecc8&vxp=mtr
Unread 09-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #216
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

This tranny cooler came out of a nice junkyard ZJ.
I like the stock steel lines, normally they fit good and are trouble free, also I don't think having shinny lines showing behind a black niner grille would look good.

Here's how the tranny lines run on a stock cooler. In the photo they are the 2 lines clamped together.

This is how mine are, on top of the wire bundle there's what looks like a vacuum line and a smaller wire bundle.

Interesting thing here is, the vacuum line and small wire bundle run out going over to the tranny lines and come back up through the hole you see here.

Here's another view, you can see where the 2 lines come out, go over to the tranny lines, under the bumper, back up and out the hole they came through. They are not hooked up to anything under the bumper and disappear under the battery holder.
Unread 09-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #217
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
This tranny cooler came out of a nice junkyard ZJ.
I like the stock steel lines, normally they fit good and are trouble free, also I don't think having shinny lines showing behind a black niner grille would look good.

Here's how the tranny lines run on a stock cooler. In the photo they are the 2 lines clamped together.

This is how mine are, on top of the wire bundle there's what looks like a vacuum line and a smaller wire bundle.

Interesting thing here is, the vacuum line and small wire bundle run out going over to the tranny lines and come back up through the hole you see here.

Here's another view, you can see where the 2 lines come out, go over to the tranny lines, under the bumper, back up and out the hole they came through. They are not hooked up to anything under the bumper and disappear under the battery holder.
Part of the cruise control or ac?
Unread 09-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #218
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Part of the cruise control or ac?
I had an idea what it could be and was right.
I pulled the battery holder and they are hooked to the vacuum tank and battery temp switch, just don't know why they run out and around like that.
I'm guessing someone ran them like this when doing some body repairs as I'm finding a few things that aren't quite right.

You can see here where the wires cross right after the plug, then they go out around the bumper and come back to the battery temp switch. (red and black wires)

Replacing my radiator and installing a tranny cooler is taking a lot longer than I though it would. Now I'm headed back to the junkyard for a battery tray support bracket that is missing on mine. It only had the 3 bottom bolts holdings it in place, should also be 2 side bolts.
Unread 09-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #219
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Well I switched the lower port on the trans cooler to the inlet, meaning the forwardmost port of the trans is connected to it. I'll see how that works out this weekend. In the process, I saw the trans cooler efan was rubbing on my new aluminum radiator. Straightened out all the fins and removed the fan.
Unread 09-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #220
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Well I switched the lower port on the trans cooler to the inlet, meaning the forwardmost port of the trans is connected to it. I'll see how that works out this weekend. In the process, I saw the trans cooler efan was rubbing on my new aluminum radiator. Straightened out all the fins and removed the fan.
It will work the same way fine. I had mine backwards for a while. The stock routing is bottom feed line top return. Something to do with getting all the air bubbles out of the system that way.
Unread 09-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #221
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

I'm thinking of getting rid of the cooler I have. Never been that impressed with it. Maybe mount this
http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/132...ductId=1533912
to the radiator on the trans cooler side. Since I don't use the cooler in the rad. The new cooler would simplify things and never leak, clog, or wear out.

Just wondering how well that style would cool things down.
Unread 09-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #222
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting rid of the cooler I have. Never been that impressed with it. Maybe mount this
http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/132...ductId=1533912
to the radiator on the trans cooler side. Since I don't use the cooler in the rad. The new cooler would simplify things and never leak, clog, or wear out.

Just wondering how well that style would cool things down.
You got me I haven't seen anyone use one of those before.
Unread 09-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #223
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

found some very useful info

Quote:
myclone02-24-2006, 01:04:52 AM
im asking if the finned extruded aluminum heat sink tranny coolers work as well as the conventional type

Not really unless they are in a direct path of cool/free flowing air.

Ive performed a LOT of trans temp vs cooler R&D since Ive been building 700R4s/4L80Es and have found the following to generally be the rules of thumb:

You can NOT over cool an automatic trans unless you live in the south/north pole....PERIOD.

Stacked plate cooler with fan is best as long as it gets decently cool air flow.
Stacked plate cooler behind the grill in front of the rad is next best.
Tube and fin coolers work ok but as was mentioned can be easily damaged by flying road debri.
Tube and fin coolers with a fan work as good as a stacked plate cooler without a fan.
The "frame mount" heat sink type coolers are for the street rod crowd IMO (all show no go). To get one large enough to actually cool the fluid in a performance application it would not only need to be HUGE it would need to be mounted in front of the front bumper to get enough air.

If you really dont want to use the factory in-radiator cooler along with the after market cooler its fine as long as the external cooler you choose is basically the biggest unit you can find/fit. If you do use the factory cooler in line with an external the temps will average a little higher but not have nearly the temprature fluctuation as it would if you were just running an external cooler.

If you decide to use the in-radiator cooler along with an external cooler then plumb it like this:
Hot fluid from trans to BOTTOM fitting on in-radiator cooler.
Fluid out from upper radiator port to bottome/lower external cooler port.
Fluid out from external cooler upper port back to the trans.

Just keep the following rules of thumb in mind and you'll be fine:

You can NOT over cool an automatic and if anyone tells you different they have no clue what theyre talking about.
Install the biggest external cooler you can fit/afford in the available space.
Make sure the external cooler gets plenty of cool air moving through it.
The higher the stall speed of a torque converter the hotter the fluid gets and the quicker it gets there (especially true with non lock up converters).

HTH
Unread 09-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #224
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Yep. I found out after bypassing the rad that the trans warms up way before the motor and rad does thus negating the myth that you need the rad to warm up the tranny in cold weather. I don't think I will ever put mine back through the rad. It's working wonderfully. So I guess you are not going for it?
Unread 09-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #225
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Nope. Pondering this beast

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRANSMISSION...2148%26ps%3D54

need to do some measuring tonite

Tags
cooling systems , desert , radiator , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.