Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #196
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Is that with the radiator or without?

Unread 08-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #197
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtackerman28 View Post
Is that with the radiator or without?
I think he bypassed the stock cooler.

This project is turning into more than I thought. Found a relay and connector in the parts heap and got it mounted. I wired up an incab LED to show me when the trans cooler fan is running. And an incab disable switch. I grabbed ignition 12vdc at the ASD relay. First pic...I soldered a wire to the relay. It runs off fuse 6 in the PDC. That will power the relay coil, which draws next to nothing. So for the fan to turn it takes 3 things, the ignition must be switched, the thermoswitch must be tripped, and the incab switch must be enabled.

The fan mates real nice to the trans cooler, but it's too big and definitely overkill. I used metal tape to modify the fan shroud so it wouldn't suck air past the cooler.
sun4.jpg   sun5.jpg   sun6.jpg   sun7.jpg  
HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #198
gothchick
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Whats the temp outside?
Was mid 90's at the time I installed the trans cooler and temp gauge, down here in georgia... Humid as heck.

When I was involved in the tuner circuit, guys would put spacers at the back of their hoods where it bolts to the hinge, to allow more air flow... Just a thought.

Water/ meth injection if you're real hardcore. Lol.

Finished 4x2 --> 4x4 conversion.
gothchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #199
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It was about 90- 95 today and we took the jeep out to some mines. Very slow crawling around 5-10 mph tops. The rain last week really screwed up the trail with large rocks. It was the first time I have been back out with the new Hayden plate and fin trans cooler rated for 30,000 GVW. On the way in I had the windows down and the trans temp at the TC read 170-180. After a little while going up hill it rose to 185-190. Just to tempt fate I rolled up the windows and cranked the ac while we crawled up a steep hill. Engine temp remained at 210*. I put it in 4 LO and behold! The trans temp went back down to 180. So it does offer more oil flow in 4LO. Everything worked great. Back down the hill when the trans and motor didn't have to work much it cooled off to 160. Highway driving after about an hour it sits at 180 and gets a little hotter in stop and go. It's nice to wheel with AC when your buddies in the TJ with the soft top are feeling the heat.

I really like having the radiator bypassed. Lower oil temps on the hot side and the motor runs a lot cooler with the ac on.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #200
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

yea 4lo really cools the trans down

Tested the trans cooler fan. I think I'm maybe only getting a couple degrees out of it. Polka, I think you made a better choice going to a bigger cooler that has more surface. My theory is the small efan doesn't help much more because the clutch fan is pulling a lot of air all the time anyways. I'll be doing a more intensive test next weekend. But the fan would allow me to mount the cooler somewhere else away from the radiator tho.

Just an aside. I stuck my hand down near the fan to see if the small efan was moving any air. I heard a sound similar to sticking a pencil into a running fan. And I felt a sting on my forefinger and middle finger. I immediately thought, you moron...why did you do that? I pulled my hand up expecting serious carnage. Nothing but a little pain, and I noticed a welt today on the middle finger. I am so lucky I swear I have a guardian angel. I ran the Mopar efan for many years and I am used to putting my hand down into that area. The clutch fan extends towards the motor a lot more and is a bit more unforgiving than the plastic efan.

Forgot to mention, I put a new severe duty fan clutch in when I did the trans cooler fan. I don't think I went over 202* then entire 85* day. So that is about a 5* improvement over the last time I made this trek. My guess is the aftermarket cluthes start wearing out from day one because the one I took out was pretty new.
Unread 08-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #201
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Holy cow you are lucky! I wouldn't ever hand to put my hand in the clutch fan seems like it could take a finger hahahaha. Anyways thanks for the advice to get the larger cooler over the fan. I'm much happier with the big cooler.
Unread 08-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #202
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Holy cow you are lucky! I wouldn't ever hand to put my hand in the clutch fan seems like it could take a finger hahahaha. Anyways thanks for the advice to get the larger cooler over the fan. I'm much happier with the big cooler.
I think the worst that could happen is you could mangle the top of your hand, losing some fingers and maybe a chunk of your hand.

Plan A was wrap the hand up, hold it in the air and let me wife drive me to the emergency room 2 hours away.
Unread 09-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #203
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

I'm finally installing my new Ron Davis radiator.
On a trip I went on last week, going up the long steep grade between Bishop & Mammoth my radiator temp got up to 237 for a few minutes and was close to that for about 15 minutes.

Here's a photo showing the Valeo 732783 and the Ron Davis radiator. The Ron Davis radiator weight is 20 pounds, almost twice that of the Valeo.

The Ron Davis radiator has two 1" cores and with the slimmer tanks they are 1.5" longer than the Valco. The Valco has one 1.25" core, same as the Griffon radiator.

The power steering is very close to the radiator tank, I'm going to grind off a little from the top edge which should not hurt it any.

I'm also installing a transmission cooler as the 5.9L didn't come with one.

The lower radiator hose looked original, so I picked up a new one with the temperature switch. This is the only way the dealer sells them, and they are a little pricey at $180.

Heading off to the junkyard this morning to pick up a tranny line and too see how the tranny lines run from the cooler, I'm having some trouble getting them to fit loose.
Unread 09-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #204
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

As always, looks good Cameleer, and get a build thread

Her are pictures of my yet to be installed Silla from DriveWire for the 4.0:
image-3548686562.jpg   image-1944499060.jpg   image-1426955411.jpg  
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #205
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
As always, looks good Cameleer, and get a build thread
Her are pictures of my yet to be installed Silla from DriveWire for the 4.0:
I just pulled the Ron Davis radiator back out to work on the tranny cooler lines and grind down the PS box a little.

Here's 2 photos showing the same areas as your Silla radiator.

Unread 09-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #206
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

Ugly welding on the Silla but it looks solid enough
moggie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #207
gothchick
1998 ZJ 

Yeah, and for the price, I'd have no trouble with the Silla either... Great thread guys.

Finished 4x2 --> 4x4 conversion.
gothchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #208
melk
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer
Heading off to the junkyard this morning to pick up a tranny line and too see how the tranny lines run from the cooler, I'm having some trouble getting them to fit loose.
I'd run rubber hose hose rather than the stock hard lines. WAY easier for routing.

If you really want to sex it up, braided stainless steel.... You can get 20' of 3/8 braided ss from Summit for like $75.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #209
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

The welds on my Silla aren't as ugly as the above pics. Surely no where near as pretty as the Davis tho. I can't wait to hear how the Davis cools. 237* is pretty darn hot. Was the AC on?

Hey Cameleer, I was wondering what the origin of the trans cooler was. If it is a used cooler that you don't know the history of, I wouldn't use it. Trans coolers should be flushed and the stacked plate style don't flush out very well. Only tube and fin coolers can be positively flushed. You take the outside chance of introducing contaminants. Just a thought.
Unread 09-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #210
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Sorry to hijack but I have a question about the felpro valve cover gasket. It has a fat end and skinny end. It looks like the fat end goes in the front and skinny in the back. Is this the correct way to install it?

Tags
cooling systems , desert , radiator , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.