Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 08-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #151
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I'm not so sure about that. they took away the stock aux cooler in the 5.9. I overheated the trans in 36* weather on a mountain trail. It's obviously not made for that. As long as it warms up enough for the overdrive to operate then it's warm enough. If it's to cold, I have heard the OD won't work. The thing with the 5.9+ 46RE is that it's a one year limited production. In the dodge trucks there are plentiful. There is an abundance of info about the 5.9 46RE combo on the Dodge forum.

I'm going to run it this way for a bit and see what temps I get on the trail slow moving in 100+ weather.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #152
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I'm not so sure about that. they took away the stock aux cooler in the 5.9. I overheated the trans in 36* weather on a mountain trail. It's obviously not made for that. As long as it warms up enough for the overdrive to operate then it's warm enough. If it's to cold, I have heard the OD won't work. The thing with the 5.9+ 46RE is that it's a one year limited production. In the dodge trucks there are plentiful. There is an abundance of info about the 5.9 46RE combo on the Dodge forum.

I'm going to run it this way for a bit and see what temps I get on the trail slow moving in 100+ weather.
Basically it let's the trans fluid use the engine coolant thermostat so they don't have to put one in the trans fluid circuit.
Unread 08-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #153
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

First trip this morning at around 80* the trans didn't shift into OD until about 1/4 mile down the road. After that it shifted normally. This was well before the engine temp was near operating temperature. So the trans warms up a lot sooner than the motor which means that the radiator doesn't really help warm the trans up.

After my two mile trip the oil temp coming out of the TC was 155*. I probably won't mess with it until winter and see if it takes longer to reach operating temps.
Unread 08-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #154
ajmorell

HighLonesome, I'm running the same radiator as you. I didn't read every thing in this thread, but is the rest of your cooling system otherwise stock? With the AC on my temps climb up to the tick past 210 when ambient is 80+, sometimes even just a bit past that. I'm not sure what the problem is. My entire cooling system is new. Flowkooler water pump, Silla radiator, stant superstat. Everything was completely redone when I put in my rebuilt 4.0 ~25k miles ago. Part of me wonders if between the single core radiator and the flowkooler the fluid doesn't have enough time to cool.

Also where in NM are you at?
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #155
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
HighLonesome, I'm running the same radiator as you. I didn't read every thing in this thread, but is the rest of your cooling system otherwise stock? With the AC on my temps climb up to the tick past 210 when ambient is 80+, sometimes even just a bit past that. I'm not sure what the problem is. My entire cooling system is new. Flowkooler water pump, Silla radiator, stant superstat. Everything was completely redone when I put in my rebuilt 4.0 ~25k miles ago. Part of me wonders if between the single core radiator and the flowkooler the fluid doesn't have enough time to cool.

Also where in NM are you at?
I'm in Abq
Mine climbed to 211 with no AC. Even the condenser is removed for more flow. That was climbing La Bahada going north. I'm going to have to live with it for 3 or 4 months a year.
HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #156
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

What kind of mix are you running? I am using around 15-20% antifreeze and the rest is water with a bottle of water wetter. When I flush it again I think I am going to only use 10% antifreeze.
Unread 08-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #157
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

50-50
does it make that much difference?
it went down to -15 here a couple years ago, very rare and unusual but it can happen
Unread 08-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #158
ajmorell

I don't remember exactly, but I think I'm running 60/40 coolant to water. I could go a little more in favor of water, maybe 50/50 or even 60/40 the other way but contrary to popular belief the winters can get pretty damn cold here.
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #159
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
50-50
does it make that much difference?
it went down to -15 here a couple years ago, very rare and unusual but it can happen
I think it made a difference with mine.
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #160
ajmorell

I might try a flush & fill to see if it helps with the issue. I will probably go 40/60 coolant/water. I am going to give the Amsoil coolant a try and maybe throw in some of their Dominator coolant boost. They claim it's about twice as effective as water wetter.
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #161
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Read about the dominator before you put it in because with the water wetter, the less antifreeze you add, the more effective it is. A lot of the guys around here only run water and water wetter in their off road vehicles. A few do the same with their cars.
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #162
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Read about the dominator before you put it in because with the water wetter, the less antifreeze you add, the more effective it is. A lot of the guys around here only run water and water wetter in their off road vehicles. A few do the same with their cars.
Dominator is the same way. It does better with 100% water than it does with a 50/50 mix, but it's still effective. They claim 19*F with straight water, and 6* with 50/50, I imagine that if I went 70/30 water/coolant it'd be somewhere in between, maybe 10*F or so.
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #163
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I's so hot here I am temped to drink some.
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #164
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Looks like limeade.

I tell my wife I'm mixing up some kitty coolade (we have 2 cats)
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #165
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Looks like limeade.

I tell my wife I'm mixing up some kitty coolade (we have 2 cats)
lol I have a fat 15 year old cat. I used to threaten it all the time with euthanasia but since someone shot it and now it has diabetes I don't tease it as much. The .22 went through it's left arm and fragmented. The doc put a pin and plate in there and it's a bit shorter now but still runs around. You can feel the bullet frags under the skin.

Tags
cooling systems , desert , radiator , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.