Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #136
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Yea, I'm pretty stoked. But for some reason I can't stop messing with it. I just think "one more flush" lol. OCD a bit. You have plenty of room for a fan back there with that condenser gone. I think I'm going to get the 30,000 summit one in your model instead of the fan. If that doesn't work, I can add the fan later.
I would be 99% happy too.

I haven't stopped messing with my '94 since '99 I'm getting old now and rolling around on the concrete is getting a bit less appealing.

I thought of the bigger cooler, but its wider so I would have to redo the cooler mounting. I like it the way it is so I'm going to move more air through the one I have.

HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #137
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

just ordered this guy, should fit the cooler pretty good...waterproof and balanced

more efan shenanigans for me
http://www.amazon.com/Spal-30100392-Straight-Blade-Profile/dp/B003PB9MLE

for you guys without limits, looks like a WJ on the box
http://www.haydenauto.com/New%20Products-Radiator%20Mist%20System/Content.aspx
Unread 08-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #138
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

How thick is that fan?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #139
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

2.05"
I measured 2.2" clearance
Unread 08-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #140
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
2.05"
I measured 2.2" clearance
2" is all I would be able to fit. Had a nice drive into Mt. Charleston today. 108* starting out 56* at the ski lodge where it was lightly raining while we drank large beers. I didn't want to come home. I told my wife lets just get drunk so we can't leave.
Unread 08-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #141
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
2" is all I would be able to fit. Had a nice drive into Mt. Charleston today. 108* starting out 56* at the ski lodge where it was lightly raining while we drank large beers. I didn't want to come home. I told my wife lets just get drunk so we can't leave.
Sounds great...I guess you could have let her drive you home.

I've hiked to Mt Charleston. Awesome area with bristlecone pines hundreds of years old.

I found a fan on Jegs that is 1.6", but no pic was available. It said 'coming soon'. That's gonna be the one you want.

Ordered this too
http://www.amazon.com/Derale-15721-I.../dp/B000A8MWL2

gotta go fix my neighbor's garage stereo
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #142
ilive4cars0122
1998 ZJ 

highlonesome did you stick with the cap that the silla came with? Does it look to you like it can be replaced with any other such as a stant or something?
ilive4cars0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #143
ilive4cars0122
1998 ZJ 

cameleer did you ever install the ron davis radiator yet? also I believe it was you who said you put plastic washers as spacers for your 5.9 hood vents. those worked without crushing or breaking when the hood is closed? thought the gap wouldn't allow for that
ilive4cars0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #144
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilive4cars0122 View Post
cameleer did you ever install the ron davis radiator yet? also I believe it was you who said you put plastic washers as spacers for your 5.9 hood vents. those worked without crushing or breaking when the hood is closed? thought the gap wouldn't allow for that
Not installed yet.
I wanted to finish installing the soundproofing last week and get a few parts before starting the new radiator install. I picked up a new lower radiator hose with temp switch and a tarpaper piece that blocks the air from going around the radiator.
I also got the system flushed out and the A/C recharged.

This next week off I’m going 4 wheeling for a few days, then if I have time I will be installing a transmission cooler and then the new radiator.

The hood vent spacers worked fine, still need to trim the hood vents to give them even more flow.
Unread 08-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #145
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilive4cars0122 View Post
highlonesome did you stick with the cap that the silla came with? Does it look to you like it can be replaced with any other such as a stant or something?
I stuck with it. Seems to be working just fine. I'm assuming it's a standard size I can buy anywhere because my neighbor's Snapon radiator pressure tester had the right adapter for it.
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #146
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

So I added that 30,000 GVW plate and fin transmission cooler today. The previous one was a compulsive buy and it was a tube and fin 3 row rated for 23,000 GVW. Turned a 1 hour job into a 4 hour job with some small mistakes and misplacing tools. It was freaking hot. We'll see how it does this weekend when we travel down to the dam by the water. It's much hotter in the south and south east of the city from where we live. I have noticed since I bypassed the radiator that the engine temps have been lower which is nice in this heat.
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #147
melk
1996 ZJ 

Nice Polka. My Autometer gauge showed up today so hopefully I'll get it wired up this weekend. I'm going to run it for a while to get a feel for my operating temps under my usual driving conditions and then re-route the cooler lines to see what effect that has.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #148
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Sounds great. I wish I had installed the gauge and then later put the cooler in so I could have seen what the temps were getting to. Have fun and take your time. Call them if your stumped. Remember, you have to ground it to the block someplace.
Unread 08-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #149
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I was reading around the net today and found this on a Yota forum. It pretty much sums up why I bypassed the radiator.

Quote:
having been a tech and worked for several shops(from independent tuners to dealer to fleet) i can assure you that the factory cooler only helps regulate the temp. it is not enough to cool the trans when towing or having much of a load on the motor, also what happens when your motor overheats? yeah your tranny then starts to over heat and the two will compound one another exponentially. i have experienced this. i run dual coolers, one with an electric fan on my it and i have an inline gauge. (see the Rescue Runner build thread to look at the coolers) i see temps of around 145-160 while cursing down the freeway at 60+mph even on cool days. some days if its like only 30* out or so i can watch it drop to around 110* if im not moving a lot.
but the flip side is if im out wheeling where i dont have a lot of air movement and i have a high/heavy load on the trans -4lo armored and E rated 285s, i can still watch that temp gauge climb well over the 220* mark. i have also overheated my truck in stop and go traffic last summer, while my trans stayed under 200* if i had not bypassed my radiator my dual coolers would have done nothing to help me as you have stated liquid to liquid is a much greater power than air to liquid.
the stock cooler was designed to cool the truck with out a load, meaning not having 5 people in it going up a hill, not having armor on your truck, not having over-sized tires, not towing(even under the towing capacity) and most defiantly not a combination of all of these. the stock cooler is basically useless unless you are a stock rig and never tow. and if you tow and are modified ie lifted, bigger tires, and armored ect i would get rid of the "cooler" in the radiator as you are now creating a weak link in your trans cooling system.

the plate in the radiator that separates the trans fluid from the antifreeze is weakened everytime temps rise and fluctuate. thats one of the ways these falures are happening over time it weakens the material and you combined that with old age and people not "flushing" their systems, you have a disaster waiting to happen. now the heat differences and extreme temps again are not so much of an issue in a stock rig so i can see the value of keeping they radiator in the "system"
Unread 08-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #150
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I was reading around the net today and found this on a Yota forum. It pretty much sums up why I bypassed the radiator.
I may be wrong,
But from my understanding that isnít really a cooler in the radiator, itís more of a temperature regulator for getting the transmission up to temperature.

If youíre out driving in the snow or very cold temperatures you need to heat the transmission up for it to operate right.

If youíre in hot areas or towing, then by adding on a cooler it will drop the temperature down a little keeping the transmission happy.

The manufacture put it in there for a reason, believe me their not trying to burn up transmissions or cause them to break down every 20,000 miles.

Tags
cooling systems , desert , radiator , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.