Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-10-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

Best Desert Cooling Systems, Radiator, Transmission, Power Steering

Looking at doing some cooling improvements for my 98 ZJ 5.9L where it will be able to handle some high temperatures in the desert when the going gets tough.
The cooling system will have to be extremely strong and reliable!

First off, between these two radiators below I'm thinking the Ron Davis would be best. Any other top quality brands to consider?

Ron Davis aluminum radiator
2 rows of 1 inch wide tubs

Griffin aluminum radiator
1 row of 1.5 inch tube

Next would be a good transmission cooler. The stock one works but a good after market one would be much better, along with adding a temperature gauge to it. What's a good larger cooler and how have other people mounted them?

Last, the power steering cooler. I've seen many different sizes and types. What types have other people used and where a good place to mount one?

Unread 07-10-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Everyone and their mom loves their Griffin, go with the tried and true.

Also, I saw someone on MC do a huge tranny cooler from Summit, I'll try and find it.

As I'm sure you know, many people use the stock tranny cooler as a PS cooler, could always go that route after your radiator breaks the bank.

Will you be upgrading the water pump as well?
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

I have the FlowKooler water pump.

When at the junk yard the other day I looked a many PS coolers, some are a simple tube running in front of the radiator, some look more like a tranny cooler, and others have fins with huge tubes that hold more volume.
I don't like the Idea of using an old tranny cooler in front of the radiator, blocks too much air. Would rather have one off to the side or somewhere better.

My best bet may be going to the junk yard and pulling a few PS coolers, then go over to one of the ZJ's and see what will fit the best.

It would also be nice to have a better A/C condenser that would let more flow through.

I've seen coolers mounted under the hood with a fan, but I don't want to go this way.
Also mounting a larger cooler to the radiator is not good, need a good gap between them.
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Here is a link to some discussion about tranny coolers:
http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...cooler-upgrade!
looks simple enough and definitely an upgrade.

Here is a link to using the tranny cooler as PS cooler, apparently is came this way from the factory in ZJ export V8s:
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/techart...ingcooler.html

Also, I heard the Flowkoolers sometimes fail when the rivets on the impeller break. Do they still have this design? See I have been collecting stuff for a bullet-proof cooling system as well and I was leaning towards getting the Hesco water pump or just getting the Mopar.
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

As a side note, I am really surprised that I cant find another thread anywhere online where someone has tried to come up with a comprehensive plan for reliable cooling. Especially since these are heat factories.
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Auto tranny, get dual tranny coolers.

It's set up for it already.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

The Flowkooler water pump I got has the plate brazed on.

I was just at the junk yard looking around and thought about pulling another ZJ's transmission cooler for setting up a duel tranny cooling system. But they wanted $27 and the ones I found where not very good looking.

For a PS cooler I'm thinking of using something like these Derale coolers that come in different lengths: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-13225/?rtype=10
Unread 07-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Bump... Anyone else have cooling input?
Unread 07-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

If you have a secondary trans cooler, don't use the one in the radiator. At least in the summer anyway. I bypassed it and my trans temps are now 5-10 degrees lower and the engine seems to run slightly cooler.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
If you have a secondary trans cooler, don't use the one in the radiator. At least in the summer anyway. I bypassed it and my trans temps are now 5-10 degrees lower and the engine seems to run slightly cooler.
I need to get off my lazy behind and route it just through aux cooler. From everything I have read this is a good idea.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #11
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

I used a union so I can reconnect it for the winter, if necessary. The motor will still get to 215 climbing grades on a hot summer day. This concerns me. I've got the Mopar efan, hood vents and a Flowkooler pump. I never use the AC. I've been to 230 degrees trying to use it before I hit the panic button. Probably the cheap replacement radiator can't keep up with the transplanted niner or the Eddy headers make it hotter. :whoknows:
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I have noticed in this heat that mine gets a tick over 210 with the ac on full blast city driving. It's hard to pin point why though since I put the aux cooler and cheaper new radiator in during the winter months. I do have a large Hayden HD cooler that takes up almost half of the condenser and I did not put the tar paper material from my old rad on the sides of the new one. It was falling apart anyway. My trans temp sender is in the hot line going into the rad and sometimes the temp gets to 215*ish for short periods of time when I'm just crawling. It goes back down fast though. After driving for about 2 hours it hovers around 200*. In the mornings it stays around 190*. I'm going to do a flush and fill using more water this time and re route the aux cooler. Got any pics of the union you set up? I may have to take a trip to Lowes.
Unread 07-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I never had an issue with this. However, I never drove on the sun either.... That being said, even with the crate 5.9, I ran the stock radiator without overheating.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I never had an issue with this. However, I never drove on the sun either.... That being said, even with the crate 5.9, I ran the stock radiator without overheating.

Hunter
It was 111* in the shade here the other day. About 118* in the sun. Probably 115* today. Crawling around slow on a rocky rail really puts it to the test. I can't wait until August.
Unread 07-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Got any pics of the union you set up? I may have to take a trip to Lowes.
I'll snap one. I used some fittings I had laying around from replacement radiators. And I cut and flared the hardlines years ago so it is a fairly bastardized setup.

Tags
cooling systems , desert , radiator , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.