Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Best/cheapest place to buy 4'' lift for ZJ?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  10achik 
#1 ·
Where is the best place to buy a lift for my 98 ZJ? Im thinking either 3.5'' or 4'' as I want to fit the biggest tires I can with those lifts.
Thanks!!!
-Jeremy-

#2 ·
#3 ·
Front to Rear lift
Okay, we're jeepers, so many of us are completely up for the "Down and Dirty F=>R"

So what is it?

The coil springs on a ZJ (production years '92-98) are the exact same diameter inside and out on the front coil springs as they are in the rear.

side note: TJ, XJ, and ZJ all use the same diameter inside and out front coil springs.

The front springs on a ZJ are a bit longer, I don't recall how much longer and they are stiffer. Since they are the same diameter inside and out, you can move them to the rear and it will increase the ride height of the rear end of your ZJ Grand Cherokee.

The front coil springs in a V8 ZJ Grand Cherokee are a bit longer and a bit more stiff than those in the I6 4.0L equipped ZJ Grand Cherokee. The springs from the I6 will not give you the lift you are looking for.

There was a package called "Up-Country" that lifted the ZJ .5"~1" higher than a normal stock height ZJ Grand Cherokee. You can also use this spring as it is even longer and again, a bit more stiff than the normal V8 Spring.

This is all from memory as it has been over 3 years since I had my ZJ, but I do remember this:

UC = Up Country

V8 UC Front Springs when moved to the rear: ~4" of lift
V8 Normal Front Springs when moved to the rear 3"~3.5" of lift

I used Rancho shocks RS5000 shocks all the way around with Rancho 3" springs in the front and normal V8 springs in the rear and added in about 1" spacers for 4.25" of lift in the rear and about 3.75" of lift in the front.

I did not run a rear sway bar, it handled really well for a lifted vehicle. I attribute this due to the stiffer shocks and springs compared to what is normally there.

The total cost? About $100 for the Rach Springs. $45 for the V8 springs if you don't already have a V8. Shocks are $35 each.

You may need a rear adjustable track bar or track bar bracket to recenter the rear axle. The front axle though shifted, was not enough to need a different track bar. Adjustable Track bar was around $140? I think.

You can run your stock shocks till they separate on you if you'd like, but I'd recommend replacing your shocks at the same time.

So, total you are looking at about $340~$450.

Hunter

#5 ·
Hunter if you got a kick back for everytime you posted that you would have enough for new meats and LA's by now :rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.