best 3 inch lift for zj? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > best 3 inch lift for zj?

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-27-2009, 06:01 AM   #31
97DCZJ
1997 ZJ 

wow paddington. amazing picture

(Sold) 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited: V8 5.2L, 2" BB, 31" Dick Cepeks.
(Sold) 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 4.7L, Stock.
(Sold) 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 5.2L ,3.5" lift, 32" Tires
97DCZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #32
chocmilkrush

My jeep is an Up-Country and I was planning on getting the 3.5" IRO kit. Would putting the UC front coils in back cause the rear axle to be even more off center with the 4" lift? Should I look into getting a rear adjustable track bar?
chocmilkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #33
besthaticouldo
1994 ZJ 

i have a BDS 3" with Rancho 9000xl Shocks and i love it. its a great lift

Greatest Thing You've Ever Seen
besthaticouldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #34
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocmilkrush View Post
My jeep is an Up-Country and I was planning on getting the 3.5" IRO kit. Would putting the UC front coils in back cause the rear axle to be even more off center with the 4" lift? Should I look into getting a rear adjustable track bar?
yes, no bracket
Unread 05-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #35
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

It won't be at 4". The upcountry springs come off and the newer 3.5 ones go on.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #36
paddingtonbear
1997 ZJ 

Honestly i think the ZJ should have come with the 3.5 inch IRO kit from the factory (in terms of ride height) Parked next to a Toyota 4runner of the same year and we sit about equal stance, but you can tell the jeep is more offroad capable, its a small vehicle, and not as tall, so the height is noticeable. Honestly, the 3.5 is perfect for capability but also just a normal day to day vehicle, its not overboard, but its fun and if you got a clean grand with a little lift it attracts alot of attention. (which is good but can be bad?)
Crager soft 8-32x10.5x15 AT
Kevinsoffroad Radiator support/tow hooks
Kevinsoffroad Sliders
paddingtonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #37
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Ok, stop the hype.. the rear track bar bracket isnt junk people.. My friend has had his on his jeep for a long time, and its held up very well. Its like once there is a bad word about a product, its gets leaked to much. The brackets do just fine. By the sounds of it, you will not be wheeling it hard like some people do on this forum, especially with only a 3.5" lift kit. If anything, just keep your rear sway bar links attached and it wont break. The next thing I will buy is the bracket.

To answer a question previously, the rear doesnt act any differently. I think that the ride quality is pretty good, and you cant tell if an axle is shifted by only an inch or two.

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #38
paddingtonbear
1997 ZJ 

I find disconnecting the rear pointless anyways, it just makes the vehicle a little less stable. Personal choice though.
Kevinsoffroad Sliders
Unread 05-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #39
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

I dont see why people would take it off if it doesnt make a difference. Unlike the front, it actually makes it flex more, unlike the rear where there is a tiny tiny difference, if that.

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #40
sean924
1998 ZJ 

best bang fo the buck is IRO, i have a RE 3.5" superflex. RE is great, but budget wise im going IRO for when i go bigger.
Unread 05-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #41
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

I've done the Front to Rear lift in my I6. I tried three sets of springs in the back, kind of like Goldilocks:

1. The first I tried were from the front of my Cherokee V6 (yes, 1984 "V6") 2door. They were SUPER soft, and they gave no lift even though they were longer on the bench, and wallowing on the road was awful. Maybe if you only wanted 2" to complement your front 2" BB, a set from a I6 Cherokee would be perfect?

2. The next set I tried were non-Up Country V8 coils. They provided more than 3" of lift (closer to 4") with a rusty pair of junkyard coils. They were quite a bit stiffer and higher than I wanted, so....

3. ... finally, I went with I6 GC coils. I have 3" aluminum spacers in the front with stock springs, and this lift is about perfectly balanced front to rear. Ride is about stock, too. Remember, if you want to change the stance a bit, you can always toss in an extra factory spacer for about 3/8" lift.

If you are going to get into heavy wheeling, maybe the V8 coils are best, because they provide the most lift, and the spring rate is higher. I don't disconnect the rear swaybar, but in crossups (see my profile) the rear tire (31") can still rub the inside of the wheel well with I6 coils. A V8 coil might prevent that unless you were really hammering... I've installed bumpstop spacers to prevent the rubbing, but it would be nice to have the spring do the work "gradually" instead of "bumping" on the bumpstops!

Also, a V8 coil will keep you level with a ton of recovery gear in the back. I travel light because I usually wheel with fairly stock trucks, so we can't get too stuck! I've kept the V8 coils because I have a heavy car trailer I haul from time to time, and it's about 1/2 hour to swap them in for towing.

As to the trackbar, you can't feel anything, but it looks a bit funny. So, take yours off, use a torch to heat up the bends, and use a hydraulic press to straighten it a bit. It's that easy! I think I "lengthened" mine by 3/4" ??

If you have any driveline vibrations at 3", they'll happen with whatever 3" lift you choose. A set of adjustable control arms and/or a transfer case drop may be needed. Then again, some claim over 4" with no vibes - and some complain of vibes at 2."

There are drawbacks to everything, but a front to rear lift is a super cheap way to get 3" and it's easy to try. All you do is disconnect the rear shocks, undo the little spring retainers, and droop the axle. Swap springs and do it up again, with your new lift. Maybe loosen then tighten all 8 control arm bolts to relieve stress in the bushings, and that's it. V8 springs are a bit tough to squeeze in by hand, but I did it. Try it. If you hate it, pull it out again!
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #42
paddingtonbear
1997 ZJ 

I like the fact that you were able to piece together a pretty cheap kit, but i wouldn't recommend it. 500-1000 for a proper 3.5-4 inch lift kit isn't all that bad, and its not something i would think to be wise to skimp on. do you feel comfortable going 75mph with 3inch spacers?
Kevinsoffroad Sliders
Unread 05-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #43
daufuskieraised
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddingtonbear View Post
I like the fact that you were able to piece together a pretty cheap kit, but i wouldn't recommend it. 500-1000 for a proper 3.5-4 inch lift kit isn't all that bad, and its not something i would think to be wise to skimp on. do you feel comfortable going 75mph with 3inch spacers?
It shouldn't make a difference. Everybody gives a thumbsdown to spacers any bigger than 2.5". In reality though, the only reason they are bad is because on the rear with 3" or bigger spacers, the spring posts are too short to hold the spring in during flex. However, this can be fixed by simply extending the spring posts with a little pipe. So he really shouldn't have any problems as the front spring posts are longer. Longer springs would give you better uptravel flex, but otherwise, 3" spacers are not that big of a deal. Especially on the front. Sorry to rant, but as Moony said earlier, when a little bad rep gets around on a product, they get bashed always.
Magnet antenna
daufuskieraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #44
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

I've actually been using these 3" aluminum spacers since 1994, when I put them on my XJ. At 450,000kms, I retired the XJ two years ago and transfered the spacers to my ZJ, where they've been great as well.

We have a highway here where the speed limit is 75mph, and most people do more. Driving through the mountains for 3 hours on the Coquihalla with spacers is a non issue. In fact, they may provide better handling than lifting with longer springs. As pointed out in the previous post, a shorter spring will "stiffen more" after less compression than would a longer spring (hence possibly limiting uptravel flex). This is part of the "progressive" rate of coil springs. Imagine compressing a 12" spring one inch - not too hard, as each coil gives just a little. Now imagine compressing a 2" spring (same material of course) by 1". Each coil has to give a lot, so it's effectively stiffer for the same amount of compression. So, perhaps spacers would actually limit wallowing and body roll a bit, compared to installing longer springs!

On the other hand, even with 3" spacers, I have no trouble rubbing the paint off the top of the inside of the wheel wheel running 31s, so compression is not a problem! Check out the photo in my profile...

As to the rear, I lifted another ZJ last night using 2" spacers all around. The rear spring posts are certainly long enough for that, but I think putting pipes on them (great idea daufuskieraised!) would be a good idea for more than 2" or so. However, I wouldn't bother. I6 coils are so cheap, to go to 3" spacers in the rear seems more trouble than simply replacing the coils for $20.
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #45
Kurkku
1997 ZJ 

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/rough-c...s-rc-636h.html

Planned on purchasing this one next week. Is that better than the 3.5" IRO.
Seems like it comes with more, all 4 shocks, new front shocks considering you're doing the F > R, and the sway bar links.
Kurkku is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.