Belt Tensioner Pulley Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Belt Tensioner Pulley Replacement

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-02-2004, 04:37 PM   #1
JT03Rubicon

Belt Tensioner Pulley Replacement

Anybody ever remove and replace your belt tensioner pulley. I need to replace mine and was looking for some expert guidance for this repair. 97 V8 with 100,000 miles. Thanks for the help.

Jeremy

Banks Cat Back
Rusty's Offroad Intake
Remote Power Door Locks
JT03Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2004, 06:08 PM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

It's really very straightforward.
Put a socket with a ratchet or breaker bar on the nut that holds the pulley wheel on. Push it in towards the water pump. Then remove the serpentine belt. There are a couple bolts holding the pulley mounting bracket to the engine block. Remove those, then bolt the new pulley in place. Push the new pulley toward the water pump, reinstall the serpentine belt. Have a beer.

HTH
Unread 10-02-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
HighOnH2O

I just replaced my idler pulley and the tensioner pulley this morning. It was quite simple and there is only one bolt holding the pulley to the tensioner. Once you have the serpentine belt off turn that bolt towards the battery(like you are tightening the tensioner) and the pulley will come right off the tensioner. Make sure you do this as soon as that pulley starts sqeaking because I waited till it broke and it sent ball berings all over my engine bay! Might want to replace the idler pulley while you are in there because it will probably be going shortly too if it hasnt already been replaced. Good luck. Oh... and watch the fan blades they will give you some nasty nuckle busters!!
HighOnH2O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2004, 07:32 AM   #4
JT03Rubicon

Already replaced the idler pulley this morning, just wanted to make sure it was the same process. Thanks for the info.

I was on my way to work the other day and my serpentine belt started shredding around the pulleys. End state, the belt ended up destroying my transmission coolant hoses, idler pulley, and tensioner pulley.
Banks Cat Back
Rusty's Offroad Intake
Remote Power Door Locks
JT03Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Kevilish
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2000 wrangler 4.0.....im having the same problem...cant seem to remove the whole tensioner...do you put the breaker bar in the square hole or what??... can get the belt of no problem cause there is no tension >>>>also there is a star nut on the left of the tensioner .....do i loosen that first or what
Kevilish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
JeepHatTrick

Just read your post, did you ever get an answer on getting the tensioner off? Getting ready to do the idler and tensioner pulley's but need info first, thank you
JeepHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHatTrick View Post
Just read your post, did you ever get an answer on getting the tensioner off?
Looks like it to me. I would start a new thread since this ones 10 years old.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.