belt tensioner noise? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > belt tensioner noise?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 03-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
funkness
1998 ZJ 

belt tensioner noise?

i have the evil churp my only issue is that i have replaced the belt and all the pullys.... could the tensioner be the issue it churps when its cold and when it warms up quiets down unless accelerating then it does it a little maybe i got a bad belt? just dont want to throw monies around for no reason.

Thanks
Mike

funkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

I always restore my tensioner by lubricating it and working it back and forth many times . Give that a shot first , it's very cheap . Had the same issue on my Slate 5.9 , never chirped since
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
funkness
1998 ZJ 

When u lube it what kinda lube u use
Unread 03-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
funkness
1998 ZJ 

actually better question where did you lube it on there just where it turns?
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Depending on its condition , pb blaster to get it free'd up . WD 40 would work fine . Hit the spring area and the pivot point
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
I always restore my tensioner by lubricating it and working it back and forth many times . Give that a shot first , it's very cheap . Had the same issue on my Slate 5.9 , never chirped since
I'm trying this right now. If it works, I'm buying you a beer. You do have beer in Canada, right?
In the works: H&Rs, Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
I'm trying this right now. If it works, I'm buying you a beer. You do have beer in Canada, right?
It worked for me , can't see your's being different .

Beer in Canada ? Hell ya . Newfie's love beer . I remember a beer strike almost 30 years ago in Newfoundland almost caused a revolution . We had to drink imported beer from the US . 30 old Milwaukee was just a teaser .

If it works for you , just post it up , that's good enough for me
Unread 03-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
funkness
1998 ZJ 

well the sqeek stopped but now this sound happened
Unread 03-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

try your old belt . I had that issue also . It was posted on on a different forum . Thread was 'do fan belts click' . they do

found it

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=467244

Anything else I can do ? LOL
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #10
funkness
1998 ZJ 

Well i want to be clear that the tensioner did need a little.lube and after i started it back uo no churp just click lol thanks for the help gonna go get a new belt today tossed old one
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
It worked for me , can't see your's being different .

Beer in Canada ? Hell ya . Newfie's love beer . I remember a beer strike almost 30 years ago in Newfoundland almost caused a revolution . We had to drink imported beer from the US . 30 old Milwaukee was just a teaser .

If it works for you , just post it up , that's good enough for me
My belt is silent now. I'd cleaned the pulley on the tensioner, but never oiled the spring. I soaked it in WD40 and it moved noticeably better. I put the belt back on and it screamed like a stuck pig for a block, then nothing. I've been driving it all morning and it hasn't made another chirp.
In the works: H&Rs, Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
Unread 03-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
My belt is silent now. I'd cleaned the pulley on the tensioner, but never oiled the spring. I soaked it in WD40 and it moved noticeably better. I put the belt back on and it screamed like a stuck pig for a block, then nothing. I've been driving it all morning and it hasn't made another chirp.
Don't ya just love easy fixes without spending money

Unread 03-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ

Don't ya just love easy fixes without spending money

Yeah. The can of WD40 was like $3.00. Way better than another $30 belt and $70 tensioner

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.