Belt squeal that won't go away. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Belt squeal that won't go away.

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
hondakilla98
1998 ZJ 

I have a belt squeal. So far I've replaced the belt twice, put on a new idler pulley, new tensioner, new alternator, and cleaned all the pulleys with brake clean multiple times. I also checked the power steering bracket to see if it was broken, it isn't. All the pulleys seem to be lined up. The water pump pulley doesn't seem to have any play. It's a consistent squeak that sounds like a bird chirping that increases with rpm.

I'm wondering if it's coming from one of the accessories, like the power steering pump. I'm going to check with my mechanics stethoscope tomorrow and see if I can figure out where is coming from. Any suggestions?

5.9 Limited, RE 4" lift, RE FTB, JK take offs w/ 255/75/17 BFG MT's, 1.25" wheel adapters, ARB Bumper, Superwinch LP10000, K&N intake, Flowmaster, custom JL & Focal stereo, 20% tint, KOR roof mount tire carrier, JCR sliders, cobra 75 wx st
hondakilla98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Does it sound like a bearing chirp or the actual belt slipping? The slight chirp is usually a bearing. ( maybe the A/C clutch area?)

How about belt brand? A Gates belt is all I'll use on my 4.0. Others say the gatorback works, but I didnt have good luck with them. Forget using a Dayco. They suck.
Belt tension? I tighten the heck out of mine.

I suppose you've slowly turned each pulley by hand when the belt is off to manually feel for any ( even the slightest) bearing rough spots ?

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #3
hondakilla98
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Does it sound like a bearing chirp or the actual belt slipping? The slight chirp is usually a bearing. ( maybe the A/C clutch area?)

How about belt brand? A Gates belt is all I'll use on my 4.0. Others say the gatorback works, but I didnt have good luck with them. Forget using a Dayco. They suck.
Belt tension? I tighten the heck out of mine.

I suppose you've slowly turned each pulley by hand when the belt is off to manually feel for any ( even the slightest) bearing rough spots ?
It's not a manual tensioner, the v8 has a spring tensioner.

It doesn't sound like a normal belt squeal.

It's a gatorback belt.

I'll take the belt off tomorrow and try feeling for rough spots.

As far as it being the ac clutch, would it change when engaged versus disengaged? The chirp is the same either way.
5.9 Limited, RE 4" lift, RE FTB, JK take offs w/ 255/75/17 BFG MT's, 1.25" wheel adapters, ARB Bumper, Superwinch LP10000, K&N intake, Flowmaster, custom JL & Focal stereo, 20% tint, KOR roof mount tire carrier, JCR sliders, cobra 75 wx st
hondakilla98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #4
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Take a piece of hose 4' or so long. (long enough to keep your head from getting caught in anything moving)
Hold one end to your ear and probe around suspected items with the other... This will help you find where the sound is coming from.
Warning; be careful around moving parts.
96zedjay is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
kodenz
1997 ZJ 

My mechanic told me I put a pulley to far on the post causing the belt I rub against a different pulley.
This caused a squeak I didn't have before.
I pulled the pulley out a little bit and the squeak happens less often but still there

sent from: somewhere
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Does it still make the noise with the belt removed? I would do what you suggested and use the stethoscope to find the squeak. It will be obvious.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
SDHarleydad
1994 ZJ 

Im on my 3rd belt. Two of the 18-20 dollar ones just wouldn't stop squealing. Then i got a $40 NAPA Micro-V belt...made by Gates. No more squeak. Mexican made belts suck. Very cheap
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
greenguns
1998 ZJ 

I'm not sure if this applies to you but I had a chirp that increased with the RPM. No matter what I did to the belt or the pulleys it was always there. So after a few angry weeks and a lot of embarrassment I said F it ill fix it this weekend even if it kills me. So after hours of messing with the belt and pulleys, thinking if its increasing with the RPM it had to be that. I had forgotten that the distributer is also affected by the RPM. So a few curse words while putting the belt back on and some WD-40 on the distributer shaft no more chirping. Now I can finally go threw the drive thru without them thinking I'm smuggling exotic birds under my hood...

Last edited by greenguns; 11-11-2013 at 01:03 PM..
greenguns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

lol don't put WD-40 on your belt. It's mineral oil and solvent, not a lubricant. It will dry the belt out and de grease the bearings on the pulleys.
Unread 11-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
greenguns
1998 ZJ 

lol no not on the belt on the distributer shaft. Sorry maybe should have made it clear. I'll fix it.
Unread 11-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenguns View Post
lol no not on the belt on the distributer shaft. Sorry maybe should have made it clear.
Ahh that makes more sense.

The only thing I would use WD on is to clean my tools. I'm kind of anti wd 40 lol
Unread 11-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
greenguns
1998 ZJ 

Well I have always used wd 40 for metal on metal squeaks and it has always worked. I never bothered to look into other lubricants but maybe I should. Got any preferences?
Unread 11-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It all depends on what my goal is for what I use.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-of-lubricants

http://lifehacker.com/5891936/when-s...-not-use-wd+40
Unread 11-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
greenguns
1998 ZJ 

Well that opened my eyes. Now I feel stupid for wanting to go to the store to see their selection of lubricants.
Unread 11-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

lol "I'm here to see your lubes"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.