Belt squeal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Belt squeal

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
ccoston
1998 ZJ 

Belt squeal

I am having issues with my Jeep squealing like belt noise. I bought a mechanic's stethoscope to diagnose, but found that I can't get it to squeal while in park, even when revving the engine. It happens when in drive, after it's warmed up a bit (not on a cold start), and gets more prominent (at it's worst) with my foot barely on the gas pedal. It happens with and without the A/C on. I changed the serpantine belt and it still happens, and the tensioner feels like it's doing it's job fine. What else should I check? I can't diagnose it if it has to be in drive to make the noise.

ccoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
melk
1996 ZJ 

Hard to say if you can't diagnose it at idle.

My distributor's bearings occasionally make noise, almost sounds like a squealing belt. More of a chirping though.

What belt did you put on it? Have you tried tightening it?
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
ccoston
1998 ZJ 

Is there a way to tighten? I thought that the tensioner was auto tensioning. I've revved the engine while in park and can't get it to do it, even after stopping immediately after hearing it while driving. Could it be power steering related and not belt related? I was wondering if maybe my PS pump was on it's way out. I just replaced the gear box, but it was doing the squealing before that.
ccoston is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.