Belt not turning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Belt not turning

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
Tuttlebot
1994 FSJ Cherokee 

Belt not turning

1994 Grand Cherokee Limited. 6cyl., 113,000 miles.

My daughter was driving the Jeep and the power steering stopped working as well as loud bubbling sound.

I checked it and found no major leaks, fluid levels normal, no overheating. I was about to call in the professionals when I noticed (DUH) that the belt was not turning.

It is holding power and cranks up easily. the belt and fan is not running. I pulled the belt with my hand and it moves fairly easily. It looks intact and solid - it had no fraying, rips or major wear apparent.

So. that about sums up what I have found. I am beyond any ability I have and am definitely not blessed with much mechanical ability.

Any thoughts?

Tuttlebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 04:06 AM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

You need to pull the belt and find out which pulley isn't turning . You may be able to start it and see which pulley isn't turning too , but , not good for the belt . The belt should be inspected off the jeep now anyways , you may have a worn spot on it .

Bubbling sound is the water/coolant boiling . You may not have overheated to cause this , but darn close . Find the issue and fix it before driving , or , you will end cooking your engine
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power steering , serpentine belt

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.