BDS 2" Lift vs. Budget Boost lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > BDS 2" Lift vs. Budget Boost lift

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 02-08-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
csi

BDS 2" Lift vs. Budget Boost lift

Hello, sort of a newbie here. I'm a returning Jeep WJ GC owner and member of this site about three years ago, I owned a 99 WJ GC Laredo then and now I'm back with a 02 WJ GC Laredo with 4.0L. My question is what is the better 2" lift to go with, a BDS 2" which includes the taller coils and shocks for around $780.00 installed or Kevins Offroad Ultimate 2.5" Lift Kit for WJs with Rubicon Twin-Tube Shocks for $349.97 plus $260-$325 for an suspension shop to install for a total of $609.97 to $674.97. I've attacked small automotive tasks like oil changes, shocks, breaks, steering stabilizer and sway bars, but never a coil remove and replace like either of these will require.

Please keep in mind, that I will be pulling a 2500# popup camper periodically for weekend outings this summer. I don't have any plans of going any larger than 2". Is any one of these better or worse for towing? Any help is greatly appreciated.
2002 WJ Grand Cherokee Laredo

Last edited by csi; 02-08-2006 at 07:12 PM..
csi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

all I can say is BE CAREFUL when using a spring compressor to remove/install new coils... a bloody face and a dent in the fender and hood of a cherry, unrestored '69 cougar were the victims when the clamp snapped and spring flew into the air on my XJ 3in install. Make sure you have the right tools and extra care is given with the spings when they are compressed. luckily no lost eyes or busted noses.
SteelBlue_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

If you want to replace the coils get OME HD coils which are 2.5" of lift...they'll hold up to the weight better. You can buy them through Nick (kolak@aol.com) and same with the shocks, he'll sell both.

Otherwise get Kevins 2.5" BB it works just fine and is a hell of a lot cheaper then BDS's lift.

If you remove the shocks and disconnect the sway bar/track bar up front the axle should drop low enough to no need spring compressors.
Unread 02-08-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

My opinion is taller springs are better than a BB. If you have the money.

Having said that, I don't know the tounge weight of the trailer you refer to. Plus, alot depends on the spring themselves. I just finnished installing a KOR BB. I would be comfortable towing anything I would have before.

With my BB, I plan to work into a full 3-4.5" lift a few parts at a time.
BB (check)
tires (check)
sway bars (shopping)
disco's (shopping)
SS
Pitman
LCA's
new springs
etc.
3 Previous Jeeps - 01 WJ Ltd, QD & UC - 01 WJ Ltd, QT II - 98 XJ Ltd
Airborne Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
csi

Actually the tongue weight of the trailer is only 110lbs. not really heavy for a 2500lb trailer.
Unread 02-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

I just priced a 2 and 3 " bds spring lift..
$300 for the 2''
$425 for the 3"
not installed
but that does seem quite high for installation
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2006, 08:54 PM   #7
csi

ArloGuthroJeep, thanks for the info about Nick. I've heard his name used alot around here in a positive way. I just don't want to get to crazy with this lift as I don't want the infamous death wobble to rear it's ugly face and I need $ for other mods. My plans are for adding a larger rear sway bar (Addco), steering stabilizer, different tires, exhaust and CAI.

I saw DW on a XJ on the express way back in November and I about had to clean my britches as it scared the
%^&* out of me driving beside this guy. I can only imagine how he must have felt.
Unread 02-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #8
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

On this new of a WJ it shouldn't be an issue with DW...
Unread 02-09-2006, 01:01 AM   #9
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Please don't pay a shop to install your lift. If you've changed shocks before you're more than halfway there. An added bonus (besides a large amount of money staying in your pocket) is that you gain some knowledge about your Jeep.

Also, I second the OME HD advice that Arlo gave. It rides really well and looks great, too.
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
BDS-Tech

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys just a little input...
The BDS coils are the best out there. They cover them under a lifetime warranty, if they sag, brake, or otherwise they will replace them period!! They also are heavier duty coil, and will allow you to have a larger payload capacity. Towing a camper with a Jeep full of people and gear will not be a problem. BDS gives you everything you need to lift the WJ properly, it ride and perform significantly better. Let me know if you need anything else.
These WJ's looks great BTW...
jeep-wj.jpg   jeep_wj_b4in.jpg   wj_447h.jpg  

tech@bds-suspension.com
phone: 517-279-2135

http://www.bds-suspension.com/
BDS-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
Greeeeenberg
1997 ZJ 

Read the date man. Its done

Michigan Tech Jeepers Member #1
Greeeeenberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
BDS-Tech

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Funny... I just had a guy ask me about this today.. thought I was on to something

tech@bds-suspension.com
phone: 517-279-2135

http://www.bds-suspension.com/
BDS-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #13
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

does bds have JF discounts
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #14
patrick02wj
2002 WJ 

i think i might go with the bds around june when i get the money.. seen like the best thing around
Unread 04-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #15
Jones
Consider the following...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDS-Tech View Post
Funny... I just had a guy ask me about this today.. thought I was on to something
Do you sell the ZJ 6" coil springs that are in your long arm kit by them self? I'm looking to lift my jeep to fit 35's but I already have the Clayton long arms. Just looking for some springs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.