BB install with coil compressor. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > BB install with coil compressor.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 12-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
bobfoe95
1997 ZJ 

BB install with coil compressor.

Getting the RC 1.5 inch lift soon. I think I am going to use coil compressors to help ease the process. None of the write ups I find use the coil compressors. Do I pretty much does take the shock off, compress the coil and slip the puck in? Anything I should look out for? Is it easier to install the front bump stops before or after?

Thanks.

Also is the bump from 30 inch tires to 31 inch tires really worth the 200 extra dollars in your opinion? This jeep is strictly weekend warrior. I already have a daily.

bobfoe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No compressor needed. Just disconnect the shocks, sway bar links and tack bar. The axle will droop enough then to pull the spring. Install bump stops before the spring.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

If you are using compressors you will only need them in the front. The rear will just fall out after you unhook the sway bar, and shocks. For the front jack up the side you are working on and then put the compressor on the spring. Slowly let the jack down and slide the spring out. You obviously have to unhook stuff to let the axle droop.

Be careful with compressors. They can fail and that spring hold tremendous energy. Enough to kill or make you look silly for the rest of your life. The front can be done without them. Do more research.

You can always unbolt one of the lower control arms as well. Makes it very easy. Just do one side at a time.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
papitt
1995 ZJ 

.. Man I wish someone had answered this .. I got here to quick.. I want a set of Goodyear .Authorities 15x31's .. But my little stock Jeep is just too short..
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

I've had the front springs out of my ZJ without using compressors. Best way is to disconnect the bottom of the shocks, the sway bay drop links, and the track bar at the axle, then lower the axle down until the springs pretty much just fall out by themselves.

I wasn't able to unbolt the track bar (didn't have the necessary cheater pipe), so I only had the shocks and drop links disconnected, which didn't get the axle down quite far enough. On a suggestion from somebody on a different forum I wedged the stock bottle jack between the body and the axle and used that to force the axle down that little bit further, which enabled me to pull the springs out. These days, though, I'd just disconnect the track bar, since I have the W7150 impact gun
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #6
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

I used spring compressors. The front can take a while because the compressors are tricky to get the right angle so they clear everything and you can get a wrench on them. You also need to remove the bump stops on the front before you start (which is the biggest pain) or they won't clear. I found the drivers side to be the hardest. But that's probably because it was the first time I did it. But after having done done other front end work, I would just drop the axle. It seems like allot of work if you haven't done it, but it's allot easier. Using the compressors on the rear was a breeze. Time wise, it took me 4 hours to do the front and 45 minutes to do the rear.
Unread 12-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
bobfoe95
1997 ZJ 

wow that is longer than I expected in the front. I will skip the compressor and just remove the necessary stuff. Thanks to all.
bobfoe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

It MIGHT take more time to do it without spring compressors but it is much, much safer.
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
caseyliffick
1995 ZJ 

Lol, we did mine on a lift.

If you flex the axle all the way up in the other side, you can get the front springs to just fall put. Problem is with the spacers in, they take some work to get back in. It took two people but the way we did it was we put the spacer in, put the top of the spring in and slide the bottom part of the spring up a crowbar. One well placed kick and they popped right in.
caseyliffick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyliffick View Post
Lol, we did mine on a lift.

If you flex the axle all the way up in the other side, you can get the front springs to just fall put. Problem is with the spacers in, they take some work to get back in. It took two people but the way we did it was we put the spacer in, put the top of the spring in and slide the bottom part of the spring up a crowbar. One well placed kick and they popped right in.
Same here. I used a flat ended crowbar. I also used the stock bottle jack and wedged it upside down between the frame and right behind the coil perch to push the axle down further. The other side was jack all the way up.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.